• 39(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
tuckbodi Wrote:Here's a log of some playing around I did yesterday. XBMC 31542 r115 on bcm70012 old layout

Some example mediinfo's of a couple of the movies:
1080 720 DVD

Issues are across the board and can't seem to duplicate. Whereas one movie would play alright one time, then the next it won't. Sometime a reboot would help things and other times it wouldn't. 1080p, 780p, SD DVD, MKV, M4V..it doesn't matter.

Symptoms I would see
- I'd click on a DVD and the Waiting indicator would show for a second, nothing, and I'd wait awhile and then click on another movie. It would error out.
- I clicked on a movie (1080p to a SD) and parts of the screen would start stuttering back & forth (like the Working indicator). Sometimes I can Menu button out of it and other times it's locked up.
- clicked on a movie and can hear the audio playing but it won't display the video

Of note, the 1080 movie played great with 28256 r26.

Not a crystalhd problem here;

Quote:ERROR: Open - Error, could not open file smb://MINIRAWK/Jordan/Movies_0-D/American Graffiti.DVD (1973)/American Graffiti (1973).m4v
00:00:03 T:2881387408 M: 59277312 ERROR: OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer
Question 
Hi all, love this image, but since I'm new to this all I'm trying to find clear/easy instructions on how to upgrade to the latest xbmc nightly build !? have tired a few things without any luck, can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thx again, and sorry to be a pain.

Matt.

UPDATE... This seemed to work... http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=557...stcount=11
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
Okay, so my first issue (#1) is resolved by rolling back to r26 1.0.3 for the broadcom chip. A little disappointed that I had to roll back, but at least I'm up and running again. I'll be patient! Wink

#2 is still open -- I can't update my XBMC build, can't update anything for that matter with apt-get now. I am constantly presented with
Code:
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
E: Error occurred while processing kdegraphics-kde4 (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Should I rebuild my USB drive from image and start over or is this fixable?

EDIT: Don't answer that, I'm rebuilding now... then I'll try the xbmc update again.

UDPATE: I rebuilt the USB, started fresh, and this time did this:

http://pastebin.com/hyCUSE3Z
Hi Guys,
Any ideas why the Linux Disk Image by pin87a would not play rmvb files?
They played just fine when I used XBMC on ATV (MacOS).

By the way, is the new XBMC version coming out soon?
Hi guys

I've been enjoying Davilla's excellent Crystal HD work on a mac mini for some time now.
Now picked up a 2nd hand ATV and ordered another broadcom, but find myself confused about which Crystalbuntu image to use.
It would seem a no brainer to use the lightest of both installs for best performance (so pin87a instead of sam.nazarko's), but what am I missing here?
Those who tried both -- Any pro's and con's?

Thanks!
V
Hey guys:

First of all many thanks to Davilla working on the Crystal HD stuff and Sam to make it easier to get Linux on the ATV. I'm still running the atv OS but seriously thinking about switching to Linux due to performance (the GUI seems to be very slow on my r31516 build).

I have a question tho (I've read the thread and couldn't find the answer, sorry in advance if it is there but didn't notice):

I have an LCD projector and also a plain old CRT TV (with composite input). Usually I have the CRT TV plugged to the atv and I only use the projector when watching movies, etc. I've installed the kext that would activate color on the green jack and everything works great.
If I want atv on the CRT, I plug the green jack, boot the atv and that's it. Likewise for the projector, I plug the HDMI, reboot the atv and I have everything working as expected (720p).

Now the question is, can I achieve a similar situation if I install Linux (in particular Sam's image). This is the only issue that's taking me to change the OS Wink...

Thanks very much for your answers!
betusr3 Wrote:Hey guys:

First of all many thanks to Davilla working on the Crystal HD stuff and Sam to make it easier to get Linux on the ATV. I'm still running the atv OS but seriously thinking about switching to Linux due to performance (the GUI seems to be very slow on my r31516 build).

I have a question tho (I've read the thread and couldn't find the answer, sorry in advance if it is there but didn't notice):

I have an LCD projector and also a plain old CRT TV (with composite input). Usually I have the CRT TV plugged to the atv and I only use the projector when watching movies, etc. I've installed the kext that would activate color on the green jack and everything works great.
If I want atv on the CRT, I plug the green jack, boot the atv and that's it. Likewise for the projector, I plug the HDMI, reboot the atv and I have everything working as expected (720p).

Now the question is, can I achieve a similar situation if I install Linux (in particular Sam's image). This is the only issue that's taking me to change the OS Wink...

see http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay
betusr3 Wrote:Hey guys:

I haven't tried this but I bookmarked it awhile ago.

So, are you saying you've been running XBMC on ATV(OSX) off your composite input? I thought that was impossible because of the way XBMC gets in front of Finder on launchingHuh
davilla Wrote:see http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay

Awesome, thanks Davilla for your quick answer.
So basically I can set both configurations through xorg configuration. I guess I have to add Screen0 and Screen1 for the composite and 720p output right?
Will the output go through both channels (green jack and HDMI output) or do I need to change the xorg.conf depending on the output device?

thanks again!
betusr3 Wrote:Awesome, thanks Davilla for your quick answer.
So basically I can set both configurations through xorg configuration. I guess I have to add Screen0 and Screen1 for the composite and 720p output right?
Will the output go through both channels (green jack and HDMI output) or do I need to change the xorg.conf depending on the output device?

thanks again!

Don't know if you can get both at the same time or not. I only figured out how to do the various video out flavors going to one display.
tuckbodi Wrote:I haven't tried this but I bookmarked it awhile ago.

So, are you saying you've been running XBMC on ATV(OSX) off your composite input? I thought that was impossible because of the way XBMC gets in front of Finder on launchingHuh

Hey tuckbodi:

I've been using color output from the green jack into my CRT TV composite input for a while now, and it is working great Smile.
Indeed I installed the kext drivers pointed out in your link (awkwardtv).

Hope this helps and thanks for the links.
betusr3 Wrote:Hey tuckbodi:

I've been using color output from the green jack into my CRT TV composite input for a while now, and it is working great Smile.
Indeed I installed the kext drivers pointed out in your link (awkwardtv).

Hope this helps and thanks for the links.

And running XBMC (OSX)? I could always get composite working on the regular Backrow but when I launched XBMC my screen would go black. I was eventually going to try the atvdisplay stuff with the linux stick someday.
davilla Wrote:Don't know if you can get both at the same time or not. I only figured out how to do the various video out flavors going to one display.

Got it.. fair enough.. I guess I'll do a little bit of research (i.e. giving it a try with Linux and see how it goes). I never understood how the atvOS (with the awkwardtv driver) could figure it out and set the proper resolution depending on the output device that was on (CRT TV through composite or HDMI projector). That's the reason I'm wondering if it's gonna work the same on Linux.

I'll let you know how it goes.. thanks again!
tuckbodi Wrote:And running XBMC (OSX)? I could always get composite working on the regular Backrow but when I launched XBMC my screen would go black. I was eventually going to try the atvdisplay stuff with the linux stick someday.

And running XBMC (OSX). I don't know if it matters, but I launch XBMC manually (it doesn't boot right away into XBMC).
Send me a PM if you need some info about the configuration I use (although I just followed the instructions at awkwardtv).

cheers..
Question 
pin87a Wrote:create mount point, fsck and mount partition:
fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
mkdir tmp
mount /dev/sda2 tmp

Edit file:
vi tmp/com.apple.Boot.plist
(press i to enter insert mode in vi, make change, press escape, then type :wq to save the file)

All went well, except for editing com.apple.Boot.plist. I've got an empty file.
Com.apple.Boot.plist is in /media/Recovery right!? Do I have to mount this directory too? If not, why isn't it used in the commands? Do I miss something? (probably I do) Shocked

EDIT: Problem solved!!Nod
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15