• 40(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
tuckbodi Wrote:Here's a log of some playing around I did yesterday. XBMC 31542 r115 on bcm70012 old layout

Some example mediinfo's of a couple of the movies:
1080 720 DVD

Issues are across the board and can't seem to duplicate. Whereas one movie would play alright one time, then the next it won't. Sometime a reboot would help things and other times it wouldn't. 1080p, 780p, SD DVD, MKV, M4V..it doesn't matter.

Symptoms I would see
- I'd click on a DVD and the Waiting indicator would show for a second, nothing, and I'd wait awhile and then click on another movie. It would error out.
- I clicked on a movie (1080p to a SD) and parts of the screen would start stuttering back & forth (like the Working indicator). Sometimes I can Menu button out of it and other times it's locked up.
- clicked on a movie and can hear the audio playing but it won't display the video

Of note, the 1080 movie played great with 28256 r26.

Hmmm, just played around with r132 (31542) and it is playing much, much better, playing just snippets of the movie. Thanks! I have 4th festivities to go to but will try and play an entire movie later on. Nice to see good progress for these "old" cards! Smile
defiler Wrote:AKG4Y - here's my "Screen" section of my xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
    Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
    Option         "TVStandard" "HD720p"
    Option         "TVOverScan" "0.80
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes      "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Try that exactly to start with, and then you can try popping it up to 1080i and 1080p. I seem to have a lot less in mine than you have.

defiler - I finally got around to messing with this again, not sure how I missed your post, but thanks, that worked perfectly.
How do I login as 'root' using a GUI SSH program like WinSCP? If I login using XBMC/XBMC then I get permission denied errors when trying to make directories, copy files, etc. I can make the directory using Putty with sudo -s but I dont know my way around using the command interface well enough to do most of what I want.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just used sudo -s to become root, changed the root password, then used WinSCP to login as root.
akg4y Wrote:defiler - I finally got around to messing with this again, not sure how I missed your post, but thanks, that worked perfectly.

That's okay - I have a low signal/noise ratio Smile

Glad it worked out though.
Thanks, yeah I figured out that my prior setup may have worked also but 1080p is not functioning for me under both your setup and mine, even though my displays are 1080p. I think it may have something to do with my component video switch not being able to handle the bandwidth. Thats ok though, 1080i works.

I am having one other issue and wanted to know if anyone else is also... when I press down on the remote multiple times (say 3 or 4) occasionally it will start scrolling down uncontrollably (like 20-30 keypresses, and occasionally it will keep scrolling until I press another button). This didnt happen with that ATV OS and has only started with the Ubuntu build. I am using Pin's image.
akg4y Wrote:Thanks, yeah I figured out that my prior setup may have worked also but 1080p is not functioning for me under both your setup and mine, even though my displays are 1080p. I think it may have something to do with my component video switch not being able to handle the bandwidth. Thats ok though, 1080i works.

I think component is only capable of up to 1080i.

akg4y Wrote:I am having one other issue and wanted to know if anyone else is also... when I press down on the remote multiple times (say 3 or 4) occasionally it will start scrolling down uncontrollably (like 20-30 keypresses, and occasionally it will keep scrolling until I press another button). This didnt happen with that ATV OS and has only started with the Ubuntu build. I am using Pin's image.

I've seen this once but haven't been able to duplicate it. Thought it was just a quirk on my end. I also remember seeing it for awhile way back when (over a year ago?) on the ATV (OSX) builds but it eventually went away.
Component can do 1080p but it can be limited to 1080i for AACS protected movie by commercial players.

The nvidia binary module supports HD480i, HD480p, HD720p, HD1080i and HD1080p as "TVStandard" and according to this http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay I must have tested it at some time or it would not be listed.
Aha, I learn something new every day! I think maybe I got that from when I hook up a component cable to the ATV the Backrow setting just gives me up to 1080i whereas the HDMI offers up to 1080p. Display, resolution..my bad.
Just installed Sam's version, one quick question why isn't my harmony remote working anymore. It worked perfect before. Do I have to do something to get it working? Thanks!
hoagieh Wrote:Do I have to do something to get it working?

I can categorically state that, yes, you do have to do something to get it working.

Laugh
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
ewequeone Wrote:I can categorically state that, yes, you do have to do something to get it working.

Laugh

I lost my apple remote, if I got a hold of this one would this work instead of my harmony without any changes?
Does the wifi works also?
If so how to :x
In regards Citer
hoagieh Wrote:I lost my apple remote, if I got a hold of this one would this work instead of my harmony without any changes?

Everything is working.. disregard my questions. I found the apple remote and it works perfect. Changed batteries in harmony remote and now working like it used too. Ready to watch some hd movies!!
citer Wrote:Does the wifi works also?
If so how to :x
In regards Citer

By using the CrystalHD card, you have to remove the Wifi adapter from inside the ATV. So no, Wi-Fi doesn't work, and no amount of software will make it work.
Philmatic Wrote:..and no amount of software will make it work.

I don't know..Davilla's done some pretty amazing things with this stuff. I bet he could make wireless on an ATV w/no wireless card work! Big Grin
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15