• 59(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:You're connecting wirelessly, you should have said so. I'll presume your using a separate adapter that is USB because you have replaced your internal 802.11n wireless card with the Broadcom Crystal HD accelerator. There are two things you can do to verify the problem is your wireless device:

1. Temporarily connect an ethernet wire and see if a connection is established.
2. Update your drivers or if you cannot find compatible Linux drivers, use ndiswrapper.

Thanks for your reply sam, however i am still using the same stock atv, i havent replaced the internal wireless n card or anything. So i am puzzled as to why its not working
tooshna Wrote:Thanks for your reply sam, however i am still using the same stock atv, i havent replaced the internal wireless n card or anything. So i am puzzled as to why its not working

getting a wifi card working in Linux is NOT automatic. ndiswrapper is your friend.
I would just like to add that if anyone is having problems with these images working and you're using a mac that Mac Par Deluxe might be at fault. I tracked my issue with the images down to the unzipping process which I was doing through Mac Par. When I unzipped under bootcamp with winrar it worked immediately. Two usb thumbsticks, many wasted hours and cursing later and it's working! Next step, put it on the internal 160GB drive, and get some media on there.
davilla Wrote:getting a wifi card working in Linux is NOT automatic. ndiswrapper is your friend.

Ndiswrapper does sound like the solution if only icould get my head around it. How are the rest of you connected to the net? Im thinking maybe i should just install a LAN cable, its just a pain going in the roof and drilling holes... Anyone had any experience with wifi usb adaptors that work out of the box?
What's the chance of having a bad broadcom card? I've finally got everything running great on an internal 160GB drive. SD works perfect, but when I try any MKV movie two things can happen:

1) The ATV just reboots - Rare, but has happened once or twice.
2) XBMC gets as far as displaying the time at the bottom left but no video/audio plays and the counter never goes up

Now if I try TV show MKVs, for instance Futurama, I get about 3 seconds of audio, and the counter moves but I never get any picture.

I tried to connect to media on a share on a Mac Mini through SMB originally, then tried connecting a USB drive straight to the ATV and lastly I copied a TV episode to the internal hard drive, all with the same results. I'm using Sam's image and have made no modifications at all other than to com.apple.boot.plist to update the boot so I can boot from internal hard drive.

I see Philmatic posted that he had what looks like the same problem but couldn't see if he resolved it..
little question:

rev32789 = crystal Support enabled again?
MasterOe Wrote:little question:

rev32789 = crystal Support enabled again?

Seriously, people, check the build log. They're for your benefit as much as everyone else, and it lets the devs get on with fixing things rather than answering the same questions. If you check the Configuration section on the build you're interested in it'll tell you what you need to know.

Short excerpt:
Code:
XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
  Debugging:    Yes
  Profiling:    No
  Optimization:    Yes
  Crosscomp.:    No
  target ARCH:    no
  target CPU:    no
  OpenGL:    Yes
  VDPAU:    Yes
  VAAPI:    No
  CrystalHD:    Yes
  VDADecoder:    No
  OpenMax:    No
  Joystick:    Yes
  XRandR:    Yes
  GOOM:        Yes
  MID Support:    No
  ccache:    No
  PulseAudio:    Yes
  HAL Support:    Yes
  FAAC:        No
  DVDCSS:    Yes
  Avahi:    Yes
  Non-free:    No
  ASAP Codec:    No
  Webserver:    Yes
  libRTMP support:    Yes
  Deprecated libdts:    No
  Deprecated liba52:    No
  External FFmpeg:    No
  External Python:    No
  prefix:    /usr
------------------------
So, yes it's in there.
liquidinsect Wrote:-Boot up your ATV with the image written to a USB stick first

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda

-Once that is done reboot for the ATV to update the list of partitions

-Back in SSH run:
sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
sudo nano /mnt/com.apple.boot.plist

-Change the entry with /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda3

-Remove the USB stick and reboot. You should be running completely off HDD now. If you have problems (like I did) try running dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda to blow away any partitions that may have been on the drive previous and start the whole process over. Good luck.

Well this thing has caused headache after headache, after deciding to connect to the network via ethernet i have found another problem, where after a cold boot the external hard drive runs before the usb thumb so when the usb thumb gets going it is then sdc instead of sdb which is then the external hard drive. The only way for it to work is to unplug the external drive, boot up with the thumb drive inserted and then connect the external drive. but seeing as i cant be bothered to connect the hard drive everytime i have decided to just copy over the whole image to the hard drive.

I am able to SSH via ethernet and see the contents of the image. However, I am logged in as xbmc/xbmc. Trying to log in as root/root results in a 'login failed.' How did you gain access to mount sda2 etc?
tooshna Wrote:I am able to SSH via ethernet and see the contents of the image. However, I am logged in as xbmc/xbmc. Trying to log in as root/root results in a 'login failed.' How did you gain access to mount sda2 etc?

Got to say, I'm glad I have my media on a Samba box. Makes this sort of thing much easier, and means I could wheel out my old XBox when I was rebuilding XBMC Smile

However, to answer your question, you use sudo. ie:

Code:
sudo mount /dev/sda2 <folder>

If you want to change your session to root, use "sudo -s" and everything from then on will have superuser rights.
Thanks for your reply defiler but sudo -s just seems to hang forever. See here: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5241/sudok.png
I'd never thought of putting 'sudo' into the SFTP session - I don't know how that'd work. I use PuTTY (on Windows) to log into my ATV, but seeing that you're on a Mac there, you should just be able to fire up a local terminal session on the mac and enter:

Code:
ssh 192.168.2.2

That'll give you the login prompt on your ATV, and give you a command line once you're logged in.

Once you're in you can create an empty folder, mount the required partition onto that folder, and it'll be visible. Not just on that terminal session, but also from XBMC and through SFTP.

If you need a partition to be mounted during startup, it needs to be added to your /etc/fstab file.

Hope that makes some more sense to you.
tooshna Wrote:Thanks for your reply defiler but sudo -s just seems to hang forever. See here: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5241/sudok.png

LOL, that will not work Smile You would need to enter the password and that's why it's hanging.

In general, from the host side, you can't get at privileged areas. There's a reason for that Smile

So you move bits into non-privileged areas, then ssh in and THEN you can sudo mv to the final location. Also using "sudo -u" is not recommend for non-experienced users. You WILL end up changing permissions of random things to root and then all hell breaks out. Please review http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45493 .
defiler Wrote:Seriously, people, check the build log. They're for your benefit as much as everyone else, and it lets the devs get on with fixing things rather than answering the same questions. If you check the Configuration section on the build you're interested in it'll tell you what you need to know.

Short excerpt:
Code:
XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
  Debugging:    Yes
  Profiling:    No
  Optimization:    Yes
  Crosscomp.:    No
  target ARCH:    no
  target CPU:    no
  OpenGL:    Yes
  VDPAU:    Yes
  VAAPI:    No
  CrystalHD:    Yes
  VDADecoder:    No
  OpenMax:    No
  Joystick:    Yes
  XRandR:    Yes
  GOOM:        Yes
  MID Support:    No
  ccache:    No
  PulseAudio:    Yes
  HAL Support:    Yes
  FAAC:        No
  DVDCSS:    Yes
  Avahi:    Yes
  Non-free:    No
  ASAP Codec:    No
  Webserver:    Yes
  libRTMP support:    Yes
  Deprecated libdts:    No
  Deprecated liba52:    No
  External FFmpeg:    No
  External Python:    No
  prefix:    /usr
------------------------
So, yes it's in there.

thanks man,

tell me where the configuration section is and i'll check it by my own the next time Smile

ps.:
i intstalled svn32789, but it's not working very well, a lot of dropping frames, stuttering,etc. back to svn r28256 Sad
MasterOe Wrote:thanks man,

tell me where the configuration section is and i'll check it by my own the next time Smile

ps.:
i intstalled svn32789, but it's not working very well, a lot of dropping frames, stuttering,etc. back to svn r28256 Sad

You can find the complete list of built packages here:
https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+ar...tate=built

Click on the link at the side of the one you're interested in (for these ATV images, you want i386 for hardy/ubuntu) to get the logfile. Then just do a search within that for "XBMC Configuration" and it'll take you right to that section.

Yes, it's a big file, but <ctrl>-f makes it nice and simple. I just searched for "crystalhd" until I found the section I wanted.
davilla Wrote:LOL, that will not work Smile You would need to enter the password and that's why it's hanging.

Well as you know I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to linux and coding etc. This is why it would have been helpful for someone to give me step by step instructions from the beginning instead of giving me bits and pieces of information and then trying to put them together through trial and error to get the system to work. It would have saved a lot of time and effort. Its not that I don't appreciate everyone's help and technical expertise, I do. I just think it would be more helpful if there was a straight forward step by step guide to doing this. The first post in this thread assumes you have knowledge of the linux system and how to navigate it. If a guide was created I think it would benefit a lot of people, not just myself.
  • 59(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15