• 70(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
TeknoJnky Wrote:checked video options, crystalhd and vdpau both enabled, tried disabling vdpau and/or crystalhd, no changes no working

you have two options that appear now? me that I enabled hardware vdpau but Crystal HD does not appear.
You think the drivers would have uninstalled by the update? because everything stutters now.
bastounet Wrote:you have two options that appear now? me that I enabled hardware vdpau but Crystal HD does not appear.
You think the drivers would have uninstalled by the update? because everything stutters now.

yes there are 2 options, vdpau and crystalhd.

if you do not have the crystalhd button, then it sounds like you need to update your crystalhd drivers.
vdpau showing up under the AppleTV platform is a quirk, don't set it. It does nothing as the GPU on the AppleTV is incapable of vdpau.
using a fresh pin78 image... "xbmc" is not working for su authentication.
does work for sudo, mind you Smile
j_ozzy Wrote:using a fresh pin78 image... "xbmc" is not working for su authentication.
does work for sudo, mind you Smile

true !!!! Blush
Ok, I've read through this entire thread and am still stuck trying to resize my thumb drive and make use of the full 8GB. I've successfully installed parted using this guide. Running parted I get the following information on my USB drive:

(parted) unit s
(parted) p
Model: Lexar USB Flash Drive (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 15663104s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 40s 409639s 409600s fat32 EFI System Partition boot
2 409640s 460639s 51000s hfs+ Recovery atvrecv
3 460640s 5343452s 4882813s ext3
4 5343453s 6343453s 1000001s linux-swap

From what I've read I think I need to:

Delete partition #4
Re-create partition #4 at the end of the drive [start 14663104 end 15663104]
Re-size partition #3 with [start 460640 end 14663103] to use all the available space

When I try to remove the partition, however, I get the following error:

(parted) rm 4
Error: Partition /dev/sdb4 is being used. You must unmount it before you modify it with Parted.

How do I unmount the boot drive (USB patchstick)? Do I need to run parted off of a linux PC or can I do everything off of the ATV running Pin's image on the USB drive? I'm stumped... Huh
you can not resize the active volume.

if your trying to resize the internal drive, boot with the boot stick

if your trying to resize the bootstick, boot with the internal drive
I'm also having buffering issues on my Lin ATV with HD files.

Still investigating. HD streaming works fine everywhere else, so it doesn't seem to be a network issue.
I'm sorry to bother you but I lost in the post ... Can you tell me how to update my drivers through the terminal?

thank you very much
m_lopez_h Wrote:When I try to remove the partition, however, I get the following error:

(parted) rm 4
Error: Partition /dev/sdb4 is being used. You must unmount it before you modify it with Parted.

How do I unmount the boot drive (USB patchstick)? Do I need to run parted off of a linux PC or can I do everything off of the ATV running Pin's image on the USB drive? I'm stumped... Huh

You only need to unmount sdb4 - not the whole lot. You can't modify an active partition (beyond certain limits), so you need to turn off the swap drive. This can be done using the swapoff command, and once the new swap partition is in place you can use swapon to enable it.
Hello,

It's ok. I managed

thank you
Got everything to work. Ended up using an Ubuntu Live Disc to move the linux-swap and resize the partition. Thanks for all the help! Next step, buy a real remote (MCE) and hopefully get LIRC working.
m_lopez_h Wrote:Got everything to work. Ended up using an Ubuntu Live Disc to move the linux-swap and resize the partition.

Can you post all shell commands you use under ubuntu live to make that? :o
I'll post tonight when I get home from work.
missingastring Wrote:I have a 1TB usb hard drive connected to the atv, which holds all my media. The drive is formatted into two partitions, 800ish GB mac os extended and 100GB FAT32.

Could I reformat the FAT partition and install the linux distro in this space?

My linux experience is very limited, but I can usually kludge my way through this type of thing if it's doable.

Sorry to bump my own post, but is this doable?

If the partitioned space I'd like to use was visible in OSX Disk Utility as disk2s10, could I then do a dd install like so--

sudo dd if=crystalbuntu.img of=disk2s10 bs=4096

Sorry if that's a painfully stupid question... Smile

I'd really like to get this to work off the same USB disk.
  • 70(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15