• 41(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
For those of us getting the firmware T/O issue, should/could we try updating to the latest builds (such as r134) that other users are commenting on? I am not sure what exactly is safe to update to (firmware or driver). Davilla, you said update just the driver, but I wans't sure the syntax / commands to do just the driver without updating the firmware...

so when someone says they are running r134... is that the firmware? or the driver? they are referencing?

Thanks,
deltazulu Wrote:For those of us getting the firmware T/O issue, should/could we try updating to the latest builds (such as r134) that other users are commenting on? I am not sure what exactly is safe to update to (firmware or driver). Davilla, you said update just the driver, but I wans't sure the syntax / commands to do just the driver without updating the firmware...

so when someone says they are running r134... is that the firmware? or the driver? they are referencing?

Thanks,

r134 refers to the svn revision number at crystalhd-for-osx (http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/source/list). That includes driver, library AND firmware. As you can see, r135 went back to previous firmware which I then reverted in r137.

"Firmware command T/O" was fixed (I hope) in r124. I have a working old layout card now (thanks to tuckbodi) and that resolved this issue. This does NOT mean that all old layout cards will work without issues. There are known cases when old layout card can have defective DRAM and they might just work by chance with the older tagged 1.0.3 driver/lib/firmware.

I highly recommend anyone building to watch http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/updates/list for updates.
davilla Wrote:r134 refers to the svn revision number at crystalhd-for-osx (http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/source/list). That includes driver, library AND firmware. As you can see, r135 went back to previous firmware which I then reverted in r137.

"Firmware command T/O" was fixed (I hope) in r124. I have a working old layout card now (thanks to tuckbodi) and that resolved this issue. This does NOT mean that all old layout cards will work without issues. There are known cases when old layout card can have defective DRAM and they might just work by chance with the older tagged 1.0.3 driver/lib/firmware.

I highly recommend anyone building to watch http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/updates/list for updates.

@davilla: I'm not seeing a single thread in which people are currently posting feedback on crystal in terms of playback quality/issues.

I'll be happy to start a new thread to capture these things, would that be useful?

If so I think the minimum information to capture for each post in the thread would be
  • details of symptoms/success
  • hardware platform (Mac/aTV only)
  • OS
  • xbmc build
  • crystal driver/lib/firmware revision
  • crystal hardware version
  • output from media info
Would you need anything else?

cheers
Paul
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
Have posted in a more appropriate place! Sorry for the thread-jack - it won't happen again!

Jim
Sam, this is by far the longest running thread in this section of the forum. I guess that means 'You done good.'

Thanks again.
frumpy_uk Wrote:@davilla: I'm not seeing a single thread in which people are currently posting feedback on crystal in terms of playback quality/issues.

I'll be happy to start a new thread to capture these things, would that be useful?

If so I think the minimum information to capture for each post in the thread would be
  • details of symptoms/success
  • hardware platform (Mac/aTV only)
  • OS
  • xbmc build
  • crystal driver/lib/firmware revision
  • crystal hardware version
  • output from media info
Would you need anything else?

cheers
Paul

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70537 see the first post.
akg4y Wrote:Sam, this is by far the longest running thread in this section of the forum. I guess that means 'You done good.'

Thanks again.

I think davilla is the person to thank here, for all the support he puts out on these forums and of course his continuing coding work. I already donated to his paypal, I hope you do the same

PS. will test the new crystal drivers with a fresh XBMC release as soon as I get back home from my work trip.
pkolkkal Wrote:I think davilla is the person to thank here, for all the support he puts out on these forums and of course his continuing coding work. I already donated to his paypal, I hope you do the same

PS. will test the new crystal drivers with a fresh XBMC release as soon as I get back home from my work trip.

No arguments there.. he's the spearhead for most of this and Ive thanked him before as well Smile

I am having a bit of an issue changing my ALSA driver from 1.0.19 to 1.0.21. I am trying to get audio working on all outputs simultaneously based on a post in an old thread using the following instructions:

Quote:Get rid of ALSA, Pulseaudio and ALSA-Utils by "sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio alsa-base alsa-utils".
Then get following packages by apt-get:

- ncurses-dev
- libncursesw5-dev
- xmlto (installs the whole TeX-stuff, abut 500MB)

Next, get the sources of alsa-driver 1.0.21, alsa-utils 1.0.21 and alsa-lib 1.0.21a and compile them.

To download and compile the drivers I used the instructions here:
http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/0...unty-9-04/

After I got through everything though I did the version check and it still says 1.0.19... no idea why. Anybody who understands linux and has an idea what I did wrong please let me know.

EDIT: Actually even though the version is still 1.0.19 I have noticed one change/improvement. Previously if I changed output to 'analog' from digital there would be no line-out sound UNLESS I stopped what was playing and went from the home menu into video settings and made the change, then restarted the movie. Now, however, I can toggle between digital and analog while the movie is playing and it switches on the fly, but I still cannot have both work simultaneously. Is there a way to change XBMC settings themselves so it thinks it needs to output both digital and analog as opposed to in the menu where you have to choose one or the other?

Here are 2 other pages that might be helpful but I dont know how to edit it to apply to the AppleTV:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?p...AudioHowTo
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=875268
akg4y Wrote:Sam, this is by far the longest running thread in this section of the forum. I guess that means 'You done good.'

No Doubt!!

I am running the smaller image on a stick and recently pulled out the stick and updated the ATV (osx) to the most recent post-merge svn to get a look at progress. After running on that for a day, I stuck the stick back in.

I immediately remembered what a difference the linux version makes! I even believe that the video quality is way better than the osx. (maybe due to the nvidia drivers?)

At any rate, a BIG thanks (to all) for making the ATV better, and looking forward to the next image with post-merge svn. (and hopefully the option to crossfade songs and use the presets with ProjectM....sorry, I get tired of the word "GOOM" occasionally floating across the screen)... Big Grin
davilla Wrote:change renderer to ARB

I updated pin78's image to the July 10 (edit: 31684) nightly xbmc on my second appletv, and the r137 build of the crystalhd drivers, using the same process I used on my first appletv. Now, when I play HD content on atv#2, the video plays, but there is a green overlay on the whole picture. SD plays fine, the xbmc menu looks fine. Green overlay happens on any HD content. I"ve changed to ARB renderer, tried other renderers, etc.. no change.
deltazulu Wrote:I updated pin78's image to the July 10 nightly xbmc on my second appletv, and the r137 build of the crystalhd drivers, using the same process I used on my first appletv. Now, when I play HD content on atv#2, the video plays, but there is a green overlay on the whole picture. SD plays fine, the xbmc menu looks fine. Green overlay happens on any HD content. I"ve changed to ARB renderer, tried other renderers, etc.. no change.

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/31684
Yep, that was it.. now running 31686 and all is well again.
Holy crap.. I am so happy to report that with 31686 and r137, my atv-linux is playing 1080i HDHomeRun content (Mpeg-2) with perfect frame rate and single digit dropped frames (all during first couple seconds). Wow! This was not working initially with pin87's image, and now it is. It is likely the updates to the crystalhd drivers, so thank you so much Davilla! I am uploading a video of the test I did showing it working on youtube. I'll post the link here when it finishes.

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Oprcvn30Y
deltazulu Wrote:Holy crap.. I am so happy to report that with 31686 and r137, my atv-linux is playing 1080i HDHomeRun content (Mpeg-2) with perfect frame rate and single digit dropped frames (all during first couple seconds). Wow! This was not working initially with pin87's image, and now it is. It is likely the updates to the crystalhd drivers, so thank you so much Davilla! I am uploading a video of the test I did showing it working on youtube. I'll post the link here when it finishes.

Smile Snuck in that fix.
Hi, this is my first post here... I've been reading this forum for some time but now I've signed in. Also I want to apologize for my english. Blush

I bought recently a Crystal HD for my aTV. Actually I'm waiting to arrive by mail.

I want to know which is the best way to install a linux on my aTV ?
I've been reading about CrystalUbuntu. Also I've been reading other threads regarding aTV, linux and Crystal HD.

Does the first post in this thread is updated ? (Last edited by Sam.Nazarko; 2010-06-10 at 13:18. ) Is this is the last version with the last working drivers ?
If not, what should I update ? Does aTV remote control works ? When it starts, does it run xbmc ?

I'm totally noob on linux but I'm going try to install a linux based OS because I've read that Crystal HD drivers works better on linux than on OSX.

Thanks
Diego
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15