• 45(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
One more thing. I have the "Minimalised Disk Image by pin87a" from the first post on a 8GB usb drive.

Anyways, when I try to add a SMB share from my server the system hangs. "working..." I can access the files from my non-linux atv/xbmc setup fine. What should I do?
xboxmedia Wrote:ok thanks. i just dont like the light on the front but i guess i will unplug it if it bugs me.

Use atvclient to turn it off.
OK I have a Stupid Question.

I am still waiting on my Crystal HD card so maybe this is a more general Q with XBMC + Ubuntu and ATV.

I have tried both Sam and Pins Images on the ATV and they work really nice. Both have the same behavaiour on selecting Shutdown from XBMC - It drops to a Linux prompt which Ends with System Halted.

Do I have to unplug it from there to turn it off? I know the ATV didnt have a power off so I guess the same applies here. If I leave it on does anyone know the power draw. I guess I could hook up a Watt meter to it.

Do I then use the Remote (Down+Menu) to power it up again?

What is supposed to happen when I select Shutdown? What do most people do?

I tried a few different things from various ubuntu posts like in Grub edited the menu.lst to add acpi=off noacpi and in /etc/modules added apm power_off=1 neither seemed to do anything.

Thanks,

Mark
The AppleTV does not have the ACPI shutdown capability in it's PSU. It cannot be shutdown, and as Davilla said earlier all it can do in atvOS is standby which merely turns the display black. Whatever aTV is doing, the power draw is ~23W. I personally get up and unplug it after I use the shut down option (it's good to stop the OS first). Any modification to GRUB won't fix it - it cannot physically shut down there is no switch in the PSU. Holding Menu and - will boot you up again yes, as you will be forcing the aTV to search for mass storage devices (will only work if your using Linux on an external USB not the internal drive)
if you put this image on the hdd does it enable the usb so i can plug a usb drive in and watch movies off it?
Yes but you can do that in atvOS as well
I'm very sorry if this has been asked a lot (I generally try not to post and find my answers) - I seriously have tried searching every post in this thread and tried doing an overall search in this forum. However, how do I get this image running on the HDD of the ATV instead of off a USB stick? Also, how do I update the XBMC to a newer build? It's most likely I'm a total newb to Linux/Ubuntu and that I didn't understand the posts I read over. But I have been able to SSH to my ATV and run a few commands via PuTTy.
funkdr_1999 Wrote:I'm very sorry if this has been asked a lot (I generally try not to post and find my answers) - I seriously have tried searching every post in this thread and tried doing an overall search in this forum. However, how do I get this image running on the HDD of the ATV instead of off a USB stick? Also, how do I update the XBMC to a newer build? It's most likely I'm a total newb to Linux/Ubuntu and that I didn't understand the posts I read over. But I have been able to SSH to my ATV and run a few commands via PuTTy.

I think you should be able to plug the drive into a computer and use the commands on the first page to put the image on the hard drive then plop the drive back in the tv... if you got ubuntu the dd command should do it... other wise an adapter like the one below and using the usbit program will probably work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Another possible option could be to put the image on a flash drive and boot to linux on the atv that way then copy the .img to the flash drive over the network and use the dd command via ssh.

I am not 100% on this but it seems like it should work. Sam.Nazarko and Davilla know a ton about this stuff so you might double check with them.
I have installled Pin's image to the hard drive on my atv everything works great except when it is idle for a period of time it goes into standby (I know the ATV does not do standby). Of course this presents a problem you cannot wake it up you have to pull the plug and reboot. Any ideas how I can stop this behavior from happening? I cannot ping it or ssh into it when it is asleep.

Thanks
Craig
xboxmedia Wrote:I think you should be able to plug the drive into a computer and use the commands on the first page to put the image on the hard drive then plop the drive back in the tv... if you got ubuntu the dd command should do it... other wise an adapter like the one below and using the usbit program will probably work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Another possible option could be to put the image on a flash drive and boot to linux on the atv that way then copy the .img to the flash drive over the network and use the dd command via ssh.

I am not 100% on this but it seems like it should work. Sam.Nazarko and Davilla know a ton about this stuff so you might double check with them.
Thanks a lot - that makes a lot of sense now! It didn't click into my head until your reply. I will try this immediately!
xboxmedia Wrote:One more thing. I have the "Minimalised Disk Image by pin87a" from the first post on a 8GB usb drive.

Anyways, when I try to add a SMB share from my server the system hangs. "working..." I can access the files from my non-linux atv/xbmc setup fine. What should I do?

This seems to be an issue with the image. You can either update xbmc to a new build or edit your ~/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml file manually. I'd recommend updating xbmc.

Here is the method I used to update from pin87a's R3 minimized atv-linux image:

Of course you first mush SSH into your atv-linux running pin87a's R3 image (don't run this on stock atv).
Code:
#update XBMC to latest nightly for the first time, do this:
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CEC06767

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-qt3
sudo apt-get install xbmc
#if above 'install xbmc' doesn't complete, use "-f"
sudo apt-get install -f

#update XBMC going forward will only require this: if there is an update, it will ask if you want to install it
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

#Update CrystalHD Drivers
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk crystalhd-trunk
cd crystalhd-trunk/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd

#Reboot Your box
reboot
Nice script delta!
thank you deltazulu. I will be doing that very soon. On a side note I was able to add SMB shares at the computer level... (like if it was a drive i could add C:/ but not C:/shared/)... anyways i did that from file manager and once added i could navigate it and add folders as sources. not perfect but a possible solution for someone not wanting to update.
I have installled Pin's image to the hard drive on my atv everything works great except when it is idle for a period of time it goes into standby (I know the ATV does not do standby). Of course this presents a problem you cannot wake it up you have to pull the plug and reboot. Any ideas how I can stop this behavior from happening? I cannot ping it or ssh into it when it is asleep.

Thanks
Craig

Sorry for the double post but I felt this was really a topic on its own.
Did you by any chance change the power saving settings in XBMC (settings -> system -> Power Saving)? "Shutdown function timer" should be set to off since you cannot really shutdown or hibernate the ATV.

Any chance the system is actually crashing for some reason and not really going into standby? Any XBMC crash logs in /home/xbmc? Anything weird in /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog or /var/log/kern.log?

Did you have this issue prior to copying the image to the hard drive?
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15