• 58(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
tooshna Wrote:Can anyone help me out with these few tidbits?

Have you searched the forums at all? Some of these have come up multiple times in the past.

1. How do I get internet connection now that only XBMC exists upon boot? In the network settings under internet the only option is to enable a proxy.

The stick uses DHCP so to find your IP you'll need to look on your router.

2. How do I enable the library, atm the option is greyed out. Is that because my movies are on an external hard drive? Is there a way to get them recognized and be added to the library?

Have you added a source and scanned the content into your library?

3. I know the ssh password and username is xbmc, but is the server name still appletv.local?

See #1 - you have to find your IP # your router is assigning it.

4. It seems to play all video files fine apart from my full dvd rips. I can click on them but then i am only able to access the video_ts folder and play a file from there. shouldnt it play the whole folder as a DVD like the xbmc i used previously on atv? Why is that?

Sorry, don't play TS files so can't answer that one.

Thanks for all your help guys, really do appreciate it. I'll be donating some moneys soon.
Thanks for your reply tuckbodi. While I know the ip address of the appletv i dont understand how this is supposed to help me connect xbmc to the net. when i look at system profile on xbmc under ip address it is blank, hence it is not connected to the router.
tooshna Wrote:Thanks for your reply tuckbodi. While I know the ip address of the appletv i dont understand how this is supposed to help me connect xbmc to the net. when i look at system profile on xbmc under ip address it is blank, hence it is not connected to the router.

I'm a little confused...you say "I know the ip address of the appletv" but when you look at the system info it doesn't show anything. Where are you getting the ATV IP from then? If your router is setup for DHCP, then it should be handing an IP out (or at least that's how mine worked) and then connecting out. Maybe you have a different setup than mine?
tooshna Wrote:4. It seems to play all video files fine apart from my full dvd rips. I can click on them but then i am only able to access the video_ts folder and play a file from there. shouldnt it play the whole folder as a DVD like the xbmc i used previously on atv? Why is that?

turn on "stack"
tuckbodi Wrote:I'm a little confused...you say "I know the ip address of the appletv" but when you look at the system info it doesn't show anything. Where are you getting the ATV IP from then? If your router is setup for DHCP, then it should be handing an IP out (or at least that's how mine worked) and then connecting out. Maybe you have a different setup than mine?

Well on my router in the DCHP client list it says appletv and has the ip there, but i think it may have kept it from my old setup. so now the atv has no ip. hence why on system profiler on xbmc it says no internet connection, please check network settings. thing is i dont know how to connect to the network if there is no setting to do so. 'http proxy server' is the only option in the 'network > internet' submenu. if i take out the usb stick and run atv like normal i am connected to the net, but thats because it asked me which network to connect to and the password. by using sams image i am guessing it does away with those settings, so im not connected to the net.

EDIT: To show you what i mean here is a screen capture
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4554/photoep.jpg
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5421/photo1v.jpg
Did you enter that DNS server manually or is it receiving it from the DHCP server.
Looks like he's connecting wirelessly if you ask me. Don't know about the wireless setup with these images (since you need to drop the wireless card to fit the video decoder hardware).
Oh, and for those desperate to update, SVN32789 is now on Launchpad. Turned up about an hour and a half ago. After I left my ATV compiling a slightly older one all night. Ho-hum. Them's the breaks, eh?
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Did you enter that DNS server manually or is it receiving it from the DHCP server.

I didn't enter it at all, so it must be receiving it somehow. And yes, i am wanting to connect wirelessly. The dharma build of xbmc works fine on the regular setup and connects to the net, not sure why this one doesnt...
I'm having trouble playing HD video in SVN32789 (not tried SD). I try to start the clip, and I get a pop through the speakers as the audio starts up, but nothing more.

Here's the xbmc.log. Just posting this just now as a heads-up in case anyone's going to rush into an upgrade. Make sure you keep the old .debs so you can roll back if necessary.

Davilla - if you're interested this is happening with that 1-minute clip of District 9.

My overnight build of 32781 works great on the same clip (no blocks either!), using the R145 CrystalHD lib/driver. It seems that the only thing 32781 needs (for me) is to clear that bug with the audio grinding the video to a halt on VC1. Of course it may be that there's something I've installed for that build that's causing trouble with this update. I can't rule that out. Maybe someone else can confirm SVN32789's usability?

Edit: Pastebin is back up, so my log's attached. Also it doesn't want to play a DVD rip of Ghostbusters. And who wouldn't want to play Ghostbusters?! It's not like it's Ghostbusters II!
tooshna Wrote:I didn't enter it at all, so it must be receiving it somehow. And yes, i am wanting to connect wirelessly. The dharma build of xbmc works fine on the regular setup and connects to the net, not sure why this one doesnt...

You're connecting wirelessly, you should have said so. I'll presume your using a separate adapter that is USB because you have replaced your internal 802.11n wireless card with the Broadcom Crystal HD accelerator. There are two things you can do to verify the problem is your wireless device:

1. Temporarily connect an ethernet wire and see if a connection is established.
2. Update your drivers or if you cannot find compatible Linux drivers, use ndiswrapper.
defiler Wrote:I'm having trouble playing HD video in SVN32789 (not tried SD). I try to start the clip, and I get a pop through the speakers as the audio starts up, but nothing more.

Here's the xbmc.log. Just posting this just now as a heads-up in case anyone's going to rush into an upgrade. Make sure you keep the old .debs so you can roll back if necessary.

Davilla - if you're interested this is happening with that 1-minute clip of District 9.

My overnight build of 32781 works great on the same clip (no blocks either!), using the R145 CrystalHD lib/driver. It seems that the only thing 32781 needs (for me) is to clear that bug with the audio grinding the video to a halt on VC1. Of course it may be that there's something I've installed for that build that's causing trouble with this update. I can't rule that out. Maybe someone else can confirm SVN32789's usability?

Edit: Pastebin is back up, so my log's attached. Also it doesn't want to play a DVD rip of Ghostbusters. And who wouldn't want to play Ghostbusters?! It's not like it's Ghostbusters II!

I don't see anything committed between 32781 and 32789 that could be causing this.

WARNING: PulseAudio: Does not support passthrough

did you configure without pulseaudio ( ./configure --disable-pulse ) ?
Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list'
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list'
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 64234534 CEC06767
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libvdpau1

cd
mkdir 32789
cd 32789
wget --no-check-certificate https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa/+files/xbmc-bin_10.0~svn32789~deb1-1~0hardy1_i386.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa/+files/xbmc-data_10.0~svn32789~deb1-1~0hardy1_all.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa/+files/xbmc-skin-confluence_10.0~svn32789~deb1-1~0hardy1_all.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa/+files/xbmc-standalone_10.0~svn32789~deb1-1~0hardy1_all.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa/+files/xbmc-web_10.0~svn32789~deb1-1~0hardy1_all.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa/+files/xbmc_10.0~svn32789~deb1-1~0hardy1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i xbmc*
sudo reboot

I cant see the writing on the desktop but i see an exclaimation point, last time i messed with linux was with tivo scripts. Is it really this hard to update xbmc on these images to svn?

Any idea what went wrong here ?? Just trying to update to new xbmc svn. These same steps work a few builds back.

Isnt it time for a new xbmc image Smile
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
davilla Wrote:I don't see anything committed between 32781 and 32789 that could be causing this.

WARNING: PulseAudio: Does not support passthrough

did you configure without pulseaudio ( ./configure --disable-pulse ) ?

The only thing I configured for compiling was the destination folder. But my self-compiled 32781 is running fine.

32789 I just unpacked from the .deb files on ppa, so any build configuration is present on the official build. Checked the config quickly within xbmc, and tried to play files. Besides, surely pulseaudio is just stereo PCM? I don't know - guessing there. D9 is a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, so if I'm right that shouldn't be relevant.

Anyway, I can't rule out that it's something I've done that's being stupid. As a result, I'm not going to get stressed about it just now. If anyone else comes up with the same problem (if it's an issue that extends beyond me) I'll be happy to trawl through logs and provide what I can. In the meantime, I still had 32781 compiled in a folder. I've reinstalled that and it's running almost perfectly (just that jerkiness on the VC1 videos I mentioned before). Meanwhile I'm going to check the bug tracker and see if that's been worked out too.

For what it's worth, it was the proverbial piece of piss to compile XBMC - just a case of getting the specified libraries in place and entering a half-dozen commands. Excellent job by all concerned - I'm highly impressed!
Since I wasn't getting much help here I figured this out with trial and error and decided to spell it out for anyone else wondering the same thing. Here is how I was able to write the image to a blank hard drive:

-Boot up your ATV with the image written to a USB stick first

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda

-Once that is done reboot for the ATV to update the list of partitions

-Back in SSH run:
sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
sudo nano /mnt/com.apple.boot.plist

-Change the entry with /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda3

-Remove the USB stick and reboot. You should be running completely off HDD now. If you have problems (like I did) try running dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda to blow away any partitions that may have been on the drive previous and start the whole process over. Good luck.
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15