Pre-Access NAS to prevent [play] waiting possible at all?
I currently use XBMC Windows on a Zotac HD-ID11 Box, with all of my media stored on 2x2TB drives in a DNS-323 NAS.

Is there a way to have XBMC pre-access the NAS while browsing, so that when you decide to play a file, you don't have to wait the 5 seconds for the NAS to spin up the drives at that point?

I realize that setting the NAS to prevent the drives from spinning down is an option, but I'd like to extend the live of my drives as long as possible, so I was seeing if this was possible via XBMC, or a feature to add in a future release.
Zxurian Wrote:I realize that setting the NAS to prevent the drives from spinning down is an option, but I'd like to extend the live of my drives as long as possible, so I was seeing if this was possible via XBMC, or a feature to add in a future release.

At work we have dozens of servers and NASes with SATA disks, and we always disable spindown. We see negligable disk failures. I doubt spindown will significantly extend the disk life.

Most disk failures are in workstations that are shutdown every night. I suspect (though can't prove) that it's powering off the disks and powering them on again that contributes most to disk failure.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pre-Access NAS to prevent [play] waiting possible at all?0