Thinking about XBMC - Questions for the experts
HI,

I have been a long time user of Xlobby as a front end to my HTPC. For a new build, I am looking to replace touchscreen control with simple remote control. Instead of creating a new skin (which will be cumbersome), I am thinking XBMC may fit the bill. Any input would be appreciated.

All of my movies are stored on a large storage array
//Tower/Movies/Mature/Mature_Movie_Title_1/Video_TS/etc
//Tower/Movies/Family/Family_Movie_1/Video_TS/etc

1) Is it possible to have more than 1 movie category in a skin (so I could have Music, Mature Movies and Family Movies (instead of just Music and Movies)?

2) Is it possible to store fanart and movie coverart to a consolidated SINGLE directory? (instead of corrupting the Video_TS directories). This is required since my media is on a storage array with the drives normally parked until the movie is requested. I need all coverart stored locally in a single directory.

3) I have multiple utilities written in VB. Can these be called from within XBMC? So if I press a button I can call the script (i.e. run a command line executable, then bring information back into the skin?). Or must everything be python based?

4) Is there an interface to XMradio, Shoutcast, AOLradio?

5) Is it possible to password protect screens?

6) I currently use USBUIRT to accept incoming IR commands. Does XBMC support this?

7) Can XBMC be used to GENERATE IR commands OUT of a USBUIRT? I.e. can I attach a "volume up" button to generate an IR command which would be sent out over the USBUIRT to adjust the volume on an external receiver, instead of adjusting the software volume of the application playing the movie.

8) Is their any milti-zone audio support? I.e. use multiple soundcards to play independent songs?

9) For all of my media I have front AND BACK covers. Can an element be added to the database so I can display the back covers in the skin if desired?

I hope you dont mind all the questions, but I have several years invested in XLobby, and I don't want to go down a new technology path unless I can accomplish what I already have. But I must say that XBMC looks great!

Thanks!
1) Not out of the box, but it is relatively straightforward to switch between profiles to create a "multiple library" effect:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61779
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to modify the skin to open the different profile library nodes rather than the keyboard option in the thread above:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74567

2) Yes and No, there is no requirement to store any images with the media, all images are cached in the XBMC userdata, so no need to touch the media file system while browing. But strictly this is not possible.

3) Look at the launcher plugin

5) This is what is possible
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Pro...references

6) Probably, what OS? (If Windows definitely via Eventghost).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
WannaTheater Wrote:7) Can XBMC be used to GENERATE IR commands OUT of a USBUIRT? I.e. can I attach a "volume up" button to generate an IR command which would be sent out over the USBUIRT to adjust the volume on an external receiver, instead of adjusting the software volume of the application playing the movie.

Maybe you can do that, but such a "need" screams for you to just get a Logitech Harmony instead. That way the non- volume buttons control XBMC, and the volume buttons on the remote control your receiver.

No blasters needed...
Thanks all. I am currently using eventGhost on windows with USBUIRT for RECEIVING IR. I am SENDING through XLobby USBUIRT plugin.... I was looking for the same functionality.

I have looked at the harmony 9000, and from what I understand it is not all that great with macros (turn off screen lights then dim back lights then start movie, etc), so I was going to use the HTPC to generate the IR sequences.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking about XBMC - Questions for the experts0