HTPC = PS3 Bluetooth Remote + PS3 Remote Application + Hotkeyz + IR Blaster... HELP!
SHORT DESCRIPTION
How Do I Take a Hotkey (i.e. ALT+SHFT+1) and use that to talk to a USB IR receiver, that will in turn spit out a valid code to turn on my TV.

LONG DESCRIPTION
Okay, I'm going to try to explain this as best as I can. Thanks for any help in advance! I really appreciate any help you guys and gals can give me.

Okay, here's the situation. I'm a firm believer that a HTPC should be more home theater and less PC, that is, i don't want to have keyboards, mice, and all types of "office components" in my living room. My goal is to have ONE remote to do everything, with a backup keyboard and mouse tucked away in a drawer somewhere. The reason for this is, A). I want a clean input setup to match my otherwise clean HT install, and B). I want it easy to use for the wife :p, and for guests.

I've been playing around on a test machine for a few days tinkering with different software, brainstorming ideas, etc. I've come to the conclusion that the PS3 remote is the best solution for me because it can be used anywhere (don't have to aim it), and it has plenty of buttons to customize. The only shortcoming I see with the PS3 remote is the fact that it doesn't have back lit buttons (I can live with this), and it doesn't have a touch screen like the Harmony 900/One (Again, I can live with this, the remote was only 20 bucks!).

So now that I've decided on using the PS3 remote for my sole input device, it's time to figure out how to configure this puppy to control everything, from the HTPC, to the Receiver, to the TV. I know this is ambitious, because only the HTPC has Bluetooth connectivity, but I plan on taking advantage of that + software on my HTPC to achieve my goals. That's where you guys come in. How do I get my PS3 remote to control everything?

Here's my setup thus far. I'll try to make this as concise as possible.

PS3 Bluetooth Remote is connected to my Win7 64bit HTPC via Bluetooth dongle. (Working)
PS3 Remote Application software interprets the commands from my PS3 Bluetooth Remote, and outputs them as customizable hotkeys (Working)
MCE IR USB Receiver, with IR1 and IR2 connections (presumably for IR blasting) (Drivers installed okay, but I haven't played with this much)

I guess my question is: HOW DO YOU take a hotkey and use that to control the IR blaster to spit out a valid remote code for my TV?

Data Flow:

PS3 Remote - > PS3 Remote Application -> Hotkey -> IR USB Interprets Hotkey - > Blast Remote Code to TV, Receiver, etc.

I've tried IR Server Suite a bit, but found it a bit complicated... I guess I may just be getting a bit impatient. Appreciate any help you can provide.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC = PS3 Bluetooth Remote + PS3 Remote Application + Hotkeyz + IR Blaster... HELP!0