• 9(current)
CrystalHD & current SVN builds of XBMC?
archie Wrote:It has been in SVN for a while, but it seems like many of the downloadable binaries are using the 1.0.3 release that is >5mo old.

Don't know about the OSX versions, but rebuilding the driver/lib/app for Ubuntu is pretty straightforward.

you search the thread "[AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher". somewhere in the thread you can find a download link for the compiled new driver / library. no support. no help for installing.

-andy
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
davilla Wrote:Both BCM70012 and BCM70015 are supported by the new driver API. Only the BCM70012 is supported by the old driver API.

I've ask that no binaries be made available yet until the new driver API stabilizes and XBMC is fully in sync with it. But it's trivial to build the driver and lib.

Quote:The BCM70015 need to use the new CrystalHD API to talk to lib/driver. R28256 is using the old CrystalHD API. Results will be unpredictable.

There have been some CrystalHD driver/lib updates that have not made their way into my svn tree yet. One in particular is aimed at the BCM70015.

I took this to mean that merely overwriting the 1.0.3 OSX CrystalHD driver/lib with r137 will not be sufficient; XBMC needs to be modified as well, since the library<->XBMC API has changed and current XBMC binaries can only interoperate reliably with the old library.

Is my assumption correct?

edit: Don't know where the compatibility cutoff is, but OSX XBMC r32416 + CrystalHD driver/lib r137 + BCM70015 is at least grossly functional on my ATV. Saw some possible jerkiness playing back 720p though.

The updated driver tarball was in post #110. Thanks Andy.
Just wanted to throw some info into here for those interested in knowing the state of current SVN builds with CrystalHD support. I had the displeasure of being stuck in bed all day yesterday from illness and used the ATV extensively for the first time in a while.

These comments are on an AppleTV with CrystalHD card running on Ubuntu 9.10. "Starting XBMC, Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 9.10, 2.6.31-19-generic i686). Built on Jul 27 2010 (SVN:32216)" Dharma branch... crystalhd driver r143, old layout board

With the exception of the very first play of the first movie the experience was flawless. The first startup started playing the audio, but was sitting at the movies list blinking. I hit stop, started playback again, and it worked fine after that.

I watched 2 720p H.264 movies, one 1080p H.264 movie, and several 720p tv shows with nothing but great consistent playback. Pausing/resume worked great, 30sec jumps worked great, scene jumps worked great, and audio sync was perfect.

Relative to my Revo, starting and stopping is slower (it can take 10+ seconds to start a movie once you hit play, or reload the movie list when you hit stop.. probably more the fault of the lack of RAM than anything else). Pause/resume is fast and resume stutters no more than any other box I've used.

All in all it works great. Davilla remains to be the freakin' man. Thanks for keeping the ATV useful.
So my 2yr old got to my ATV remote and I came back to the please select your resolution screen Angry He must have gone through random clicks and found the restore ATV option.

Everything was working fine before the restore. Since the restore, I reinstalled everything. Last nights Dharma build, 1.03 Crystal HD drivers, etc... Basically the same things I did before.

But now, I get jitter in the playback, makes the video look like it's moving in slow motion. The other problem which I never had was that now, all MKV's are outputting no audio. When this happens, it kills all the other audiable clicks etc.. in XBMC and back in ATV FrontRow. YouTube is the only way to get any sound back. Huh
archie Wrote:I took this to mean that merely overwriting the 1.0.3 OSX CrystalHD driver/lib with r137 will not be sufficient; XBMC needs to be modified as well, since the library<->XBMC API has changed and current XBMC binaries can only interoperate reliably with the old library.

Is my assumption correct?

edit: Don't know where the compatibility cutoff is, but OSX XBMC r32416 + CrystalHD driver/lib r137 + BCM70015 is at least grossly functional on my ATV. Saw some possible jerkiness playing back 720p though.

The updated driver tarball was in post #110. Thanks Andy.

XBMC will actually detect which library is loaded and switch between new and old API. This of course also depends on which lib is present at xbmc build time as there is some build dependency.
Dan, is it possible to tweak remaining issues out of the older r1.0.3 tagged crystalhd driver based on the development effort of the past months?

Maybe the older driver performance could be brought up to the same level as the new one?
pkolkkal Wrote:Dan, is it possible to tweak remaining issues out of the older r1.0.3 tagged crystalhd driver based on the development effort of the past months?

Maybe the older driver performance could be brought up to the same level as the new one?

Maybe but not by me. Progress is always forward.
davilla Wrote:Maybe but not by me. Progress is always forward.

That and I'm not sure why you wouldn't just run a new one? The new driver with a new build of XBMC works great.
dan1son Wrote:That and I'm not sure why you wouldn't just run a new one? The new driver with a new build of XBMC works great.

My point was that many eBay cards can not run the latest versions, and as the old r31 based drivers are pretty awesome already (minus a few crashes), with a little tweaking they could would perform just well enough for most.

I mean, who knows when, if ever, these new cystalhd cards are available internationally..
pkolkkal Wrote:I mean, who knows when, if ever, these new cystalhd cards are available internationally..

DHL dropped two 970015s on my desk this morning.
Serial numbers 00001 and 00002 Wink

I'll be offering the spare to any UK-based devs in due course.
Ok sorry guys I got tired of my own ranting and reimaged my drive with pin87a's latest image. Put the latest r144 driver with svn31718 and I finally get working video on my old layout CrystalHD card. Seeking is not as fast as with r1.0.3 & svn28256 but it works Big Grin

Also updated to latest Nvidia stable 256.44 drivers because I'm seeing faster 60Hz-24Hz mode change with them.

So it must have been something I modified on Sam's image. Probably at some point I did something stupid like apt-get update on my kernel <- FAIL
pkolkkal Wrote:My point was that many eBay cards can not run the latest versions, and as the old r31 based drivers are pretty awesome already (minus a few crashes), with a little tweaking they could would perform just well enough for most.

I mean, who knows when, if ever, these new cystalhd cards are available internationally..

Gotcha. I'm running the latest versions on my old layout ebay card and haven't had any issues. Maybe that's specific to OSX?
Some of the old-layout eBay cards don't seem to like the new builds of the firmware/driver combo. For most people it just won't work, going back to the old driver works fine. For me it irreversibly bricked my card. Sad
i'll try to stick with my bcm70012 card as long as possible...

hope it will work with new drivers...
Philmatic Wrote:Some of the old-layout eBay cards don't seem to like the new builds of the firmware/driver combo. For most people it just won't work, going back to the old driver works fine. For me it irreversibly bricked my card. Sad

Did your card have the EEPROM installed?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CrystalHD & current SVN builds of XBMC?0