Now that XBMC is running on PS3 will we see some dev for it?
Now that the original xbox is not being supported and someone has now been able to get xbmc to run on a ps3 are we going to see some developers working on getting it more stable?

For those of you guys that don't know, here is the tutorial

http://www.haxnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=12075

I searched and did not see that this was posted yet, if it was and I missed it sorry for the double post.
nubz69 Wrote:Now that the original xbox is not being supported and someone has now been able to get xbmc to run on a ps3 are we going to see some developers working on getting it more stable?

For those of you guys that don't know, here is the tutorial

http://www.haxnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=12075

I searched and did not see that this was posted yet, if it was and I missed it sorry for the double post.

XBMC on PS3 will never work in an legally way on any recent PS3. starting XBMC on an PS3 does not mean that XBMC works on this - maybe you can watch your photos on the PS3, but not more.
greetings, Stephan

Short answer - no.
No. Has been mentioned time and time again. Dev's have no interest in developing for consoles.
Small integrated HTPC boxes are the future, until that stuff is built into TVs.

The XBox360 and PS3 (especially recently with the PS3) are proprietary platforms designed to shovel revenue generating content.

The difference with the original Xbox was that it had many more off-the-shelf PC parts than any console ever, and that in its era it was by far the best size/cost ratio way of delivering local ripped/downloaded content to a TV. The downside was that it required hacking not blessed by the manufacturer, and a grey distribution of binaries.

In 2010 when we are looking to new devices to deliver HD to our TV to replace the old XBox, the cost/size/legal ratio way of playing that content is newly produced HTPC boxes. Solutions for the cost of the normal 360 gives you an open development platform, power that can easily be shared amongst all three of the major x86 OSes, and manufacturers that welcome the purchases.

At one point XBMC on the PS3 seemed possible and likely. When it had the "Other OS" option, you could play files with a certain mplayer on a Linux install that would allow playback of 1080p content by utilizing the SPUs. But Sony killed this future by killing the "Other OS" options in an update, and ever since it is clear that XBMC or any open source media center has no future on this generation of game consoles.

I mean, the Wii probably could be used to play XBMC. Poor little Wii has been cracked open worse than any console ever (not including the DS of course), and Mplayer is already on it as well. Problem with the Wii is of course it is barely more powerful than a Xbox1, and cannot deliver HD anything.

So its back to ION boxes, Boxee Boxes, hacked Apple TVs, and home built HTPCs. Its not so bad really....
I'm sure you will probably see some dev for it (from the people who actually got it running in the first place)

But if your asking will team xbmc be doing it then the answer would be NO and people really need to stop asking its been answered many times in great detail
I only asked because before people were asking for it to be developed for the PS3 and now someone has got it running on the PS3 I thought it might change some things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhcZGw7z...r_embedded

openelec.tv legal has never really mattered has it, it was never "legal" for XBMC to be run on the original xbox.

I hope that this comes to fruition in some way. When xbmc came out on the xbox it was the first mainstream affordable option out there. It brought the world of htpc's into the homes of thousands if not millions. Now that it's only net-tops designed solely for htpc it has gone into a niche area. I would love to see xbmc brought back into the homes of the masses again, it's such a wonderful product.
I would be very surprised if there are fewer htpcs and net top users than modded xbox users.
Looks slow and clunky to me... by no means usable. - if there was a uniform device that could run XBMC legally personally I think it would be better than HTPC/Net top like the old Xbox - as it's a level playing field rather than hundreds of different hardware senarios... but I dont think a hacked console is the way to go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Now that XBMC is running on PS3 will we see some dev for it?0