Artist repeated due to a wrong tag (music library)
I'm sure i've seen this somewhere, but i can't find the thread now (I really tried to, but the search terms are pretty common).

I suspect files tagged with MediaMonkey gave me this:
There is a simple way to bypass this issue (RegEx maybe?) or i should delete the wrong tags and create new ones? (many albums, so this will be the last solution i will try). Thanks for any idea.

LE: I have to say that in any player these tags are showed ok (no repeating artist), but for some reason, xbmc behave like this with files tagged with mediamonkey.
Hmm.... I've been using Media Monkey to clean up the tags of near 30,000 music files and have not encountered this except in the cases where there was a difference between the track artist and the album artist. Here, though, they look exactly the same. It can't be that one has a stray space as Xbmc trims whitespace. You can use strings (there's a Windows version in the SysInternals Suite) to look at the raw text in the tags. And you can look at the database itself with any SQLite editor/browser. Look at the albumview table and look for that album. There's some unseen difference between those two names that we need to identify.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
no, it isn't. EVERY TIME i use Media Monkey to edit the tag, another artist is added to the name (only for XBMC; i'm using the latest nightly, from june). Some artists is showed 4 times Big Grin (meaning edited 4 times with mediamonkey). The trick i did is to open in Tag&Rename, get tag for one file, remove tag for all files, then add that tag to ALL files... Messy fix, time consuming Sad but hey, it works!

Probably not MediaMonkey's fault, as you say it's working fine, but you can try this routine: tag made but mediamonkey -> opened in tag&rename, edited some fields (i do mostly ratings, but you can try also Artist) = Doubled artist, like in my pic.
You can do that for all the album files, to see that the artist from that album became "doubled". Somehow this is bizarre. the album is listed under the original artist (xbmc is not adding another doubled artist to library), but is showed as "doubled-name" only in all albums view (or when i press "i" for the album or song)

As i see that aren't many users with this problem, might be only a bad combination of software, if you want i'll try to obtain the routine that gave this, but i'm already over this, i will manually fix all my broken tags
maybe this is a bug in the new builds? Did this happen with previous svn's?

totally off-topic, but what skin is that? I like it.
I'd like to figure out why this is. Xbmc clearly shouldnt be doing this. I will try to repeat your process for causing this to occur.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
@kraqh3d: i sent you some files to look into it. Triple artist here:

I happens only on album level, and it's not skin related. I get this on different builds, from a year back, so i'm guessing it's a bad combination of tag-editors.

@compcentral: Aeon65, Showcase view.
I just looked at one of those Eric Clapton files in a hex editor. It has ALBUM ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST, and ENSEMBLE tags but they are all the same value.

This shouldn't cause a problem because the current code should only append them together if they are different. I suspect you're running a version under 28140 which is when this was corrected.

What SVN version are you running?
DSPlayer branch, build r30385 and I'm almost sure I get this like yesterday when adding a new album. However, i just fixed all my collection by removing the old (wrong) tags and creating new ones with Tag&Rename.
I fixed this. I'll commit the fix tonight (assuming I still have commit access and can remember my login credentials.) Otherwise, I'll submit it as a patch.
your access has been revoked on grounds of inacitivity.
I thought that may be the case. I'm in the office now so I can't submit a patch, but here's the fix if you want to just commit it. It is a very silly error in MusicInfoTag.cpp... All three "Append" functions are using std::find() to test for uniqueness, but incorrectly. They need to test for "== foo.end()"
done.
Glad to hear this is fixed, I was having to re-tag with foobar after mediamonkey added those extra tags.
Who was the idiot that wrote that code :p

Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artist repeated due to a wrong tag (music library)0