Barcode Scanner - Media Finder
I have a suggestion and want to hear what the devs and others think about it.

A function that scan your barcode on your DVD or CD cover, search this media in the library, and if it exists, open it up and give the option to start to play it on XBMC.

This will of course require a third part barcode scanner app. And if there isn't a barcode scanner app installed, this feature should be hidden.

So, what do you think?

//StarChild
Kodi 17.0 Krypton, Win10 running on an ASRock ION 330HT HTPC
if you have the cover, you should have the disc? so why not putting it in the player? it will launch

beyond that, not a bad idea, but will be difficult because of platform compatibility and hardware.
Many have all there movies and music ripped to a hdd. And also not all htpc have a dvd drive ether.

difficult because of platform compatibility and hardware??
there's many barcode reader .
is there a common coding to interact with ?
Ah the wonders of android Intents Wink
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/wiki/ScanningViaIntent
http://developer.android.com/resources/a...ntent.html
ppic Wrote:there's many barcode reader .
is there a common coding to interact with ?
Yes I believe so.
From a user point of view, I want my media in a library so I dont have to have cds and dvds lying arround, I would much preffer to flick through my cd collection on screen.
@b7ll: The media is still in your library, its just a complement.
From a usage standpoint once a barcode scanner is set up, all it does is simulate keypresses and type in the barcode decoded and press enter. So all you need to do is allow keyboard entry on a dialog, and remember the barcode to be searched for the next time you 'search' scan. Very easy to implement.

This would be very useful if you had a VERY (VERY) large library I guess. Generally though I would think it would be a lot quicker to do a search by title than to find the case and scan it.

Edit: ... completely didn't see which forum this is in sorry, should still apply broadly speaking though.
StarChild Wrote:@b7ll: The media is still in your library, its just a complement.

I can see where you are coming from but I dont think I personally would use it.

I suppose it would be cool to create some wall art showing the front and back covers from my favourite CDs in propper picture frames, and be able to play the cd just by scanning them.
Do we even have EANs/UPCs in the XBMC database? Otherwise this would be useless anyway.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
StarChild Wrote:Yes I believe so.

hoooo i'm really sorry !

i hadn't seen that we were in android forum !
easiest this way ...
@b7ll: Hahaha Smile

@freezy: Yeah, It would require some sort of search.

I found a very cool feature in Google shopper. It can search on EAN codes or even on the cover of your DVD/CD. Hold the phone in front of your DVD/CD and it will take a picture of your cover and match it with a database. Don't know if this could be to any help.
Even better would be if it could match it with covers from the phone's database somehow. No internet connection would require then.
freezy Wrote:Do we even have EANs/UPCs in the XBMC database? Otherwise this would be useless anyway.
Well some barcode apps will actually find what product you are scanning and report back a name. But this isnt really standardized so it would be difficult to parse. Not sure how many of you have heard of it but there is a program that will scan barcodes and find torrents of those products for the android.
i can see this feature is cool with a barcode scanner c# application added to the dvd or cd. but it requires a lot of hardwork and thoughts, not an easy one. now not only a few can have that fuction you just metioned.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Barcode Scanner - Media Finder0