xbmc removed after upgrade
I have been running ubuntu 10.04 and using the xbmc svn ppa for the past month or so with no problems. Today ubuntu prompted me to install security updates, which I did. After that completed xbmc was removed from my system.

When I run sudo apt-get install xbmc now I get:

sudo apt-get install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc: Depends: xbmc-data (= 1:9.11+svn28042-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 1:9.11+svn28042-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed or
xbmc-skin-pm3-hd (= 1:9.11+svn28042-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbmc-web (= 1:9.11+svn28042-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

I tried sudo apt-get dist-upgrade but get 0 upraded. I also tried reinstalling the .deb from /var/cache/apt/archives but it fails with dependency errors. Any ideas?
Thumbs Down 
I have got the exact same issue with xbmc svn ppa on lucid 64bit.

This is a real pain as I cannot reinstall xbmc. I do not want to mess around with compiling or hunting for debs. I hope this is fixed soon.

I know it is a svn ppa so should expect breakage but I had no choice as the standard ppa did not have 64bit debs. It also was the first update in ages as svn was suspended until the next release.
Smile 
stuartmarsden Wrote:but I had no choice as the standard ppa did not have 64bit debs.

I have checked and discovered the standard ppa has a 64bit lucid build now. I have removed the svn ppa and added the standard and been able to install xbmc. This is clearly a slightly earlier version than the one I had but it will do until the next version comes out (hopefully soon).
I'm on 64bit as well, forgot to mention that. I guess I will give the standard ppa a shot.
Same here...64bit...went to old one... Sad
Same here... the Lucid 64bit SVN PPA died... reverting to SMPlayer until it is resolved...

Jerry

Edit:

Question for the Devs:

How come there isn't any nightly builds for Ubuntu here?

There is the latest SVN for Live, OSX, and Windows, but not one for Ubuntu. It would be nice to be able download the latest SVN *.deb for Ubuntu right now.
+1 for me as well... I've been thinking i screwed something up for 2 days now!
good to know it wasn't my fault :p
+1

SVN PPA for Karmic amd64 brings down a new xbmc-bin package but generates dependancy errors against the other xbmc packages upon which it depends...

Quote:loz@gravity:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree
The following packages have been kept back:
xbmc-bin
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
loz@gravity:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc#
[sudo] password for loz:
loz@gravity:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc
[sudo] password for loz:
Building dependency tree
xbmc is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
loz@gravity:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc-bin
Building dependency tree
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libmodplug0c2 libmicrohttpd5 libsdl-mixer1.2 libglew1.5 libsdl-image1.2 python-qt3 libmikmod2 python-sip4 xbmc-bin libqt3-mt libmms0 libsmpeg0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED
xbmc xbmc-data xbmc-skin-confluence xbmc-web
The following packages will be upgraded:
xbmc-bin
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.3MB of archives.
After this operation, 46.3MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
OP, you should change the title to "ATTN:XBMC Staff - SVN PPA Error" or something to that effect.
Same for me, i'm running Lucid, 64bit
xbmc-bin is installed(1:9.11+svn30995-lucid1) but the rest do not install
1:9.11+svn28042-lucid1
I'm no expert but it look that there is some sort of build failure on the launchpad on a number of packages

xbmc:
Depends: xbmc-data but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence but it is not going to be installed or
xbmc-skin-pm3-hd but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbmc-web but it is not going to be installed
Thumbs Down 
Same issues for me with dependencies... "theuni" posted a bunch of 30xxx builds that are superseding the working svns, the icon on the side indicates a failure for i386 but I cant seem to figure out a way to force the version in synaptic package manager to go back to the 28256 package that was working for me before...

Looks like I'm booting back to windows with MPC VDPAU until it gets fixed Eek
beyondinferno Wrote:OP, you should change the title to "ATTN:XBMC Staff - SVN PPA Error" or something to that effect.

I second that
I updated the title to more accurately reflect the issue...seems to have only updated my first post though, not the title in the forum index
pork Wrote:I updated the title to more accurately reflect the issue...seems to have only updated my first post though, not the title in the forum index

Oh well, I posted another thread with "XBMC SVN PPA Broken" as the title and linked this thread. Hopefully someone whos involved will spot it.
In the mean time, i found a cached version of xbmc-bin located here:
Code:
/var/cache/apt/archives/
the file name for mine was xbmc-bin_1%3a9.11+svn28042-lucid1_amd64.deb
once installed, it allows you to install all needed packages again. don't forget to remove the new xbmc-bin first.

i hope that helps at least while they fix this or the updated version is released.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc removed after upgrade1