[LINUX] some problems in linux mint
Hi all,
I think xbmc is the greatest, so i installed it on my asrock ion 330 pc which serves as an htpc. Which means i need XBMC to handle audio and video through the network, from another debian samba server or a cd or local folder.
The problems i have right now are 2-3:

1. Although the computer is running on an atom processor which is incapable of decoding 720p and 1080p streams by itself, it carries the nvidia ION chipset, which means it both has video decoding built in (VDPAU) and it is also capable of CUDA. On windows, i had a special version of the coreAvc codec that ran on CUDA, so no matter how much cpu usage the video needed, the graphics card could easily provide. VDPAU though should be sufficient by itself. When i setup XBMC to use VDPAU, it does (From what it seems) decode the movies all right, but i get screen tearing.. I tried some of the options in the video settings but no matter the choices i never got rid of the tearing effect and on top of that some of them speed or slow the video down. Any suggestions here? Is it possible to use CUDA along with VDPAU or just CUDA?

2. Although i did setup my audio settings as i probably should to get audio running through the optical out of the mini computer to my receiver, for some odd reason, it wont initialize by itself when selecting a movie. The movie will start, it will output an "audio device failed to initialize" or something like that. However, if i click on the audio settings (on the top menu) while the movie is running and i switch between analog and digital sound once, it DOES start correctly and i can hear audio working just fine through the optical.. I am thinking this might be a wrong setup in the settings, but given i only switch between digital (the default in the setup) -> analog (sound starts in analog) -> digital (sound starts normally in digital as it should by default) and it works fine after that, what might be the case here?

Sorry if these questions have been solved before.. I read some stickies but since i am very new to linux to be sure what it actually is.. i need some direction!

thanks in advance for any replies, i take the opportunity to thank the xbmc developers for all the xbox1 years, then all the other ports as well Smile
Linux Mint is pretty much the same as ubuntu - so you should find tons of info on both problems with the forum search. The tearing issue has most likely to do with vsync (vertical synch), you might also need to disable compositing. The second question probably means that you will have to set the correct output device in the settings and set it to digital from analog, it also depends on the source material (is it ac3/dts). A search for your ion device and maybe "digital", "spdif", "optical" or similar will help you out here as well.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] some problems in linux mint0