XBMC 10.05 release - when?
Hi,

Been waiting for XBMC 10.05 release for quite some time now. Can anyone give an answer as to when the new version will be released.

The timeline for 10.05 keeps getting pushed forward and the active tickets does not seem to decrease :-(

Grateful for reply for someone who knows :-)

Brgds,

Peska
I believe the answer you are searching for is 'When it's ready' Smile
There is no official release date afaik as the addon's stuff is currently being merged into the main builds so it will be done when it's done.
peska Wrote:Hi,

Been waiting for XBMC 10.05 release for quite some time now. Can anyone give an answer as to when the new version will be released.

The timeline for 10.05 keeps getting pushed forward and the active tickets does not seem to decrease :-(

Grateful for reply for someone who knows :-)

Brgds,

Peska

Probably a few days after you personally submit patches for all of the major bugs outstanding. Prior to that, I would not rush the developers.
I wouldn't want to rush them, but i feel it is our responsibility to remind them that the world isn't standing still and it's competitor are moving on. Media Browser for MCE is really nice with external player overide depending on the file type support, plugins, skins. Media Portal is also getting there with RC4 out and RC5 coming along.

But XBMC seems to stagnate. The last stable version is 9.11. If you want something newer you have either to compile your own or download a nightly build that is more like a surprise box than an installation package, you never know what you'll get.

I'm all for the free software open source spirit, but a project should have set goals. At least, designate someone to keep the mob (us) in the know because, and this should not be understood as a threat, we could be tempted to look at alternative.

Now, what is the problem with 10.xx
DXVA? Bitstreaming? - Why not just use ffdshow latest version. It does both if you have the right hardware.
TV recording? - This is optional and should be a plugin.
Media Scraping - Plenty of external (and more complete) option already exist.

In fact, it seems to me that the dev team or the architect are too spread out on feature instead on concentrating on the core functionnality, that is manage and play/display our media collection. And since they finally dumped the legacy device (xbox).
Tuxon86 Wrote:I wouldn't want to rush them, but i feel it is our responsibility to remind them that the world isn't standing still and it's competitor are moving on. Media Browser for MCE is really nice with external player overide depending on the file type support, plugins, skins. Media Portal is also getting there with RC4 out and RC5 coming along.

But XBMC seems to stagnate. The last stable version is 9.11. If you want something newer you have either to compile your own or download a nightly build that is more like a surprise box than an installation package, you never know what you'll get.

I'm all for the free software open source spirit, but a project should have set goals. At least, designate someone to keep the mob (us) in the know because, and this should not be understood as a threat, we could be tempted to look at alternative.

DXVA? Bitstreaming? - Why not just use ffdshow latest version. It does both if you have the right hardware.

In fact, it seems to me that the dev team or the architect are too spread out on feature instead on concentrating on the core functionnality, that is manage and play/display our media collection. And since they finally dumped the legacy device (xbox).

Feel free to jump in and help since you have all the answers. Rolleyes
Tuxon86 Wrote:I wouldn't want to rush them, but i feel it is our responsibility to remind them that the world isn't standing still and it's competitor are moving on. Media Browser for MCE is really nice with external player overide depending on the file type support, plugins, skins. Media Portal is also getting there with RC4 out and RC5 coming along.

Ahh, sorry but XBMC does not dance to the drum beat of other Application release cycles. If you can't wait, not much we can do.
Aenima99x Wrote:Feel free to jump in and help since you have all the answers. Rolleyes

No need trying to bail out the titanic...
davilla Wrote:Ahh, sorry but XBMC does not dance to the drum beat of other Application release cycles. If you can't wait, not much we can do.

That is too bad that you are not more serious about this great project or more respectful of your user base. Oh well, I guess XBMC isn't for me.
WHY on earth do we need to respect you?

some random guy that pops into our forums and whines. who never contributed jack. you live in a strange world.
Tuxon86 Wrote:That is too bad that you are not more serious about this great project or more respectful of your user base. Oh well, I guess XBMC isn't for me.

I guess not. I don't get paid enough.. oh wait, none of us get paid for this.

Here's a clue stick, we contribute our time freely and work on things when we can. As such, the state of the source code and features drives the release of a new version and nothing else. We will release a new version when we feel it's ready. However, this being an open source project, anyone is free to build their own.
Having followed/used many open source projects over the years, this one has the best developer to user interactions I've seen. The Devs are very dedicated and do a hell of a job on both the product itself and communication to end users.

Just because a release takes a bit longer, doesn't mean they're not commited.

There's also a lot more in this release than DXVA/DVR/Scrapers. CrystalHD, Apples GPU acceleration, new plugin engine (with repositories, new single location for all plugin types, upgradability, etc.), high quality GPU scalers, new JSON-RPC web API, external MySQL database support, to name a few of the big ones.
Woooh, I really did not intend to encourage whining with this post :-(
XBMC is, by my oppinion, by far the best mediaplayer available.
Been a faithful user since the early XBMP-days.

@DaVilla: Could you give my a qualified "guesstimate" as to when 10.05 will be released officially :-)
peska Wrote:@DaVilla: Could you give my a qualified "guesstimate" as to when 10.05 will be released officially :-)

No cap on the "v" please Smile

The next release will depend on feedback from users that are using nightlies and other measures. One use of nightlies is to check for unforeseen problems and get them fixed. Add-on merge was a monster and we certainly don't want to release something that causes unforeseen problems with everything that moved to add-ons.

Advanced user feedback was one big reason that I pushed for getting nightlies setup in the first place. We can't check everything that XBMC can do, the list is just too long and has too many dependencies.
peska Wrote:Woooh, I really did not intend to encourage whining with this post :-(
XBMC is, by my oppinion, by far the best mediaplayer available.
Been a faithful user since the early XBMP-days.

@DaVilla: Could you give my a qualified "guesstimate" as to when 10.05 will be released officially :-)

Look, I am as impatient as you, but the fact of the matter is that they don't know. The addons merge has been a disaster and they are still fiddling with things there. I would not expect a new official release until at least a few weeks after nightlies are once again encouraged. I hope nightlies are stable soon, but I won't rush the guys who dedicate their spare time just for my own personal satisfaction. I think we can expect a small status update soon as the last one has been several weeks, but don't get your hopes up.
Tuxon86 Wrote:That is too bad that you are not more serious about this great project or more respectful of your user base. Oh well, I guess XBMC isn't for me.

Shut the door after you, there's a good chap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 10.05 release - when?0