Foxconn Ion 330 for $160 @ newegg
guys, there's a new BIOS revision at the foxconn support site that claims to have reduced fan noise! gonna try it out at the weekend and will report back if we finally are able to let this little beast running with the lid closed Wink

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.a...&sort=bios
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
the BIOS update did the trick, the fan is now much quieter and never goes into full throttle when in XBMCbuntu. I can now fully recommend the 330i netbox as a great and cheap ready-to-go barebone for XBMC usage, no downsides anymore.

the only caveat: if you use XBMClive or the minimal ubuntu image, there's no support for the atheros NIC, but it works fine if you use the server image and go the XBMCbuntu route afterwards as in the wiki.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Back on sale....$154.99 with coupon code + free shipping....

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.as...71119&SID=

Coupon Code = EMCZYZN45

Just picked one up, great price....totally worth it IMO.
Bought one yesterday.....
Got HD(Samsung 250GB), ram(2GB),and 330i for $226 to good to pass up. Gives me something new to play with Big Grin
Considering to do some changes to my Foxconn unit and would love to get your advice:

1) Win7 or Ubuntu - on which of these 2 OS should XBMC run smoother/snappier and play 1080p better? Is there any difference when it comes to compatibility (WLAN, sound, HDMI, etc)?

2) What would be a good SSD drive to run out-of-the-box without any adapters in-between?

3) I am currently running Ubuntu off an USN stick with 8GB (no harddisk). Assuming I do not switch to SSD: If I switch to Win7, would my 8GB USB stick be sufficient? What about a 16GB USB?

4) Anyone any luck to install an IR receiver internally? Does the device has a IR header and sufficient space? I currently use an external HP IR receiver, but it is huge! I am thinking to buy something like
http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Receiver-Cable-CI...4a9d9a0848

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
get any (small) SSD and plug it inside, no need for any adapters. there's another netbox thread here where there's a bunch of information.
in general: XBMCbuntu (or XBMClive) gets you the set-top box appliance feeling, win7 might not be as responsive and fast, but stuff like networking and HDMI audio is easier to configure

internal IR might be possible if you have a dremel and soldering iron but there's not really much space available. if you make it, be sure to give us a how-to with pics.

and I really recommend switching to an SSD, small ones aren't that expensive anymore und USB sticks are slow.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:in general: XBMCbuntu (or XBMClive) gets you the set-top box appliance feeling, win7 might not be as responsive and fast, but stuff like networking and HDMI audio is easier to configure

Is Win7 itself not as responsive or is there a material difference, while actually running XBMC?

Hannes The Hun Wrote:internal IR might be possible if you have a dremel and soldering iron but there's not really much space available. if you make it, be sure to give us a how-to with pics.

Sounds good. Probably gonna give it a shot. Do you know for sure that the Foxconn motherboard has a CIR receiver on-board. If not, it doesnt help for me to try.

Thanks again for your help!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
no, of course it does not, you need to use an internal USB-to-IR-adapter
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Sad 
Well, I managed to grab one of these Foxconn Boxes over the Black Friday blitz. But, I haven't had too much luck with them.

1st one came DOA, had a blink code for "CPU Initialization Failure".
Sent back to Newegg for an RMA.

The second one I'm still fighting with. It appears to be working ok except that the HDMI Audio keeps cutting out.
Well not sure if cutting out is the right term. You get pops and stops on the audio when it is run through the HDMI port. It also throws my receiver in to a fit, it keeps appearing to lose the audio signal.

It seems to work fine if I use the optical mini toslink port though.

Just wondering if anybody else is having this issue.
is the video also pausing or is it only the HDMI audio? tried a different HDMI cable?

what OS, what XBMC version, what nvidia driver etc etc
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I think it is just the HDMI audio. The video appears to be ok. I've tried another HDMI cable and it doesn't appear to help.

Originally I had XBMC Live Dharma 10 installed and then I had just installed windows 7 to see if that would resolve it but, it is still there.

I installed the latest drivers available from foxconn on the windows installation but, on the live install I left it with the base drivers.

The audio problem is kind of hard to describe since it almost sounds like a stutter. Since my receiver normally displays what type of signal it is receiving (ie stereo, 5.1, etc) when I get the pops/cuts I see that display that shows that flicker off for a second and then comes back.

This has really got me stumped. I'm just hoping it is not another bad piece of hardware. Getting a bit frustrated.
well, I'm afraid it might just be another bad piece of hardware. I'm really sorry as the foxconn is really a nice little box, if it works Wink
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Yeah, it looks real nice. I love the size and discreet styling but, this continuous returning thing is really pushing my limits. I'll think it over the next day or 2. I just received my lenovo ion box today. Unfortunately it's a single core unit though.
Coca-cola Bear Wrote:Yeah, it looks real nice. I love the size and discreet styling but, this continuous returning thing is really pushing my limits. I'll think it over the next day or 2. I just received my lenovo ion box today. Unfortunately it's a single core unit though.

Is there any chance that you're pushing an audio format to your receiver that it doesn't support?

ie. are you sending DTS-HD when your receiver only supports DTS?

Just a thought...

-Wes
if he managed to squeeze DTS-HD out of XBMC live Dharma with an Ion1 chipset I'd really be interested in how he managed to do that Wink

as far as I see it, there *may* be something wrong with the unit OR there may also be an incompatibility issue with your receiver (Denon?). could you connect the unit directly to your TV just for testing?

if there's a incompatibility with the receiver, you could still continue using optical out, you won't miss anything by that. but if there's really a hardware fault (which will also show when connected to the TV) you have to RMA it.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Foxconn Ion 330 for $160 @ newegg0