submitting skins for inclusion in dharma
hi,

for those of you who want to have the skins available in the addon-browser in dharma; you can start submitting them on trac. i know the instructions aren't quite up to snuff yet, but by looking at how confluence does it, it shouldn't be hard to decode. key points;

1) icon.png
2) (optional) changelog.txt
3) addon.xml
4) (optional) fanart.jpg
5) death to skin.xml

we require open textures.

note that even though the repo backend is a git, it is not meant for development - i.e. you cannot host your skins there, only the releases will be hosted.

cheers
Cheers.

How does one go about hosting their own 'unofficial' skins?
have a look at addons/repository.xbmc.org
Hey Spiff,
Sharpe and I have recently updated Back-Row to be compliant with the new builds and is working fine. I was linked to this from Sharpe, and read it but not quite making sense. In regards to adding it using TRAC. I read the xml file at the location you just posted, and shows the mirrors links in the file, but doesn't quite explain much. I also tried to use the help/guide but it's broken and just takes you to a redirection link only to show a "Not Found" message. (a number of links also do.)

Everything is a go with Back-Row and it's compliance to the new format (including the recent folder stuff and clean up you PM'd us about). Would you suggest to contact TheUni instead about how to get it done? I read something about a script that was made (from theuni) that would grab the theme files from some source, compile the media, copy the folders and such, and upload to the xbmc repo.

I guess just PM me with this info if you don't mind and get the chance. And thanks as always for being helpful to us when we have questions. Smile
spiff Wrote:have a look at addons/repository.xbmc.org

Does the disclaimer ("...and are not responsible for their content") mean you'll still host them or do I simply add this part to the skin
PHP Code:
<extension point="xbmc.addon.repository"

name="Official XBMC.org Add-on Repository">
    <
info compressed="true">http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma-pre/addons.xml</info>

<checksum>http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma-pre/addons.xml.md5</checksum>

<datadir zip="true">http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma-pre</datadir>
</extension
and change the url?
If you wish to host your own repository (i.e. you host the .zip files of your skin and handle all the updating etc. yourself) then you need to provide:

1. The above XML file, obviously with links pointing to your http server.
2. The http server that serves said files - the checksum file is optional.
3. The files for the server (addons.xml, and your pre-built skin - see the datadir link above).

The alternative is to take advantage of the fact that we take care of the repository side for you. As long as your skin:

1. Works with Dharma without fault (as much as this is possible, ofcourse).
2. Has open textures so that we can build them for our mirrors.
3. Is hosted somewhere for development (i.e. in an SVN or git repository)

Then essentially all you do is send us a pull request and we pull it into our repo. This is particularly easy for us if you clone our git repo and do your development in that, but it's just as good if you have want to use your own git repo or svn or whatever. Whenever you update your skin and are happy that it is stable, you send us another pull request, we pull the changes into our repo and it's automatically built by the build bot, pushed out to our mirrors, and shows up for users to update.

eg Mediastream_Redux and PM3.HD are now developed on a separate SVN server, and Jezz_X tells us when it's ready to update and we take care of it from there.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Oh, in that case we are ready for a pull then. From this location. Forgive me if i am not understanding properly.
https://xboxmediacenter.svn.sourceforge....r/Back-Row
djdafreund Wrote:Oh, in that case we are ready for a pull then. From this location. Forgive me if i am not understanding properly.
https://xboxmediacenter.svn.sourceforge....r/Back-Row

no Your understanding right Smile what I think we haven't got yet is a common way to actually notify you want your skin pulled a forum post just isn't going to cut it imo. TheUni has been going on about a mailing list for devs which will probably be a better idea.

btw djdafreund last I checked you were missing DialogTextViewer.xml please follow this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74818 thing I wrote to make sure your fully up to date before submitting a pull request
Ok, i'll take a peak at that, and thanks. We update almost daily, sometime's more, so i agree it would be a pain to notify every time. Sharpe has been doing a lot of stuff you requested to be FULLY compliant. Either Sharpe or I will look into that DialogTextViewer file (if he hasn't already done this.) as i'm not sure if you checked within a couple days, as that's when he's mostly done all the compliant changes.
If you're updating daily, then your skin is still in active development and we definitely don't want all those updates. You need only notify us when you have things finished enough that you want to push an update out to users. These should ofcourse be as bug proof as you can make them.

We'll get a mailing list up and running over the next week or so as Jezz_X indicates so we can ensure we stay on top of things.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Indeed the Addon repo is only for what you would consider "Stable" versions of your skin if people want to get every single update you make then they can use your svn still. What we want is more or less a final product that works with XBMC 10.5 you can of course continue to make updates in your svn but really we only want to pull another version when you have fixed major bugs or lots of little ones or added a few new things.

Its not meant for every single little change you make
Yes that makes sense - it's a great new feature.

Oh and thanks for the heads-up re the DialogTextViewer.xml - I've put that in place now.
Well, it HAS been very stable for years (as you both might already know), and the ONLY reason for update's is just for new idea's that come across (Sharpe is great with implementing new idea's) or maybe working off of what's there.
Kind of like the Confluence skin, as it's a pretty much final skin, but there will be little fixes as XBMC changes, and possible modification's to different sections as I notice from watching the svn daily.

As it sits now, it's pretty stable and has been, other then just implementing new idea's from the communities suggestions here and there. So i suppose we can just do a pull request when big changes happen. Nothing else at this point really needs to be added or changed and it great the way it is, other then maybe a few graphic images i was thinking of touching up, but the theme itself is finished.
I'm no git/SVN expert but I remember from when I was following Alaska's development and if I modified Viewtype_Poster.xml and then tried a git pull I would get a "compatibility" error. Would users get that same type of error when updating if they have a modified .xml?

Or would you give some type of message "It seems a file has change would you like to overwrite"

Or would you guys consider that if someone knows how to mod then they the should also know about that type of stuff...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
If a user wants to modify a skin they have installed and don't want it overwritten by an update then the they have 2 options:

1. Rename the skin to something else (including it's id).
2. Bump the version of the skin to something much higher than what it is online.

There is no merging done within XBMC - if the version is higher, we overwrite with the new version.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
submitting skins for inclusion in dharma0