Upgrading from XBOX XBMC To PC Based XBMC, Some Questions
Hi All,

I finally got a TV that supports HDMI and a HDMI reciever that supports all formats, so the time has come to update my XBOX XBMC to a PC based XBMC. However, I have some questions:

1- What is the best PC Based XBMC to use currently?
I ideally would like to do straight boot to XBMC, but have never used Linux. I am worried about the driver installs and such. I am a quick learner, but I still would like to know if the Windows based XBMC is as good and will boot directly into XBMC if I so chose?

2- I want to get an ION 330 based system to do this all on. I just want to make sure that they can do everything I need. Could you please confirm:
a- Do these units or XBMC support pass through audio, so that my reciever can actually play HD-DTS or what ever format the disc I rip may have?
b- Can I do wireless N setup with this? Ideally I would like to do a seperate router, not something built in to the system.

3- If I get a wireless N setup, can I play h264 or x264 via Wireless N?

4- How well is Hulu supported under the current XBMC builds?
a- Do I need to do something special to get Hulu running (yes or no is fine, I will look this up later)

I think that is it. I think all the answers are yes, but just want to see.

Thanks for the help.
I don't know the asnwers to all your questions, but for what it's worth:

alucard77 Wrote:1- What is the best PC Based XBMC to use currently?

With v10.5 there will be little difference between the different platforms. Choose whatever OS you feel most comfortable with. In your case I'd guess this would be Windows (which is what I use).

alucard77 Wrote:2- I want to get an ION 330 based system to do this all on. I just want to make sure that they can do everything I need. Could you please confirm:
a- Do these units or XBMC support pass through audio, so that my reciever can actually play HD-DTS or what ever format the disc I rip may have?
b- Can I do wireless N setup with this? Ideally I would like to do a seperate router, not something built in to the system.

(a) don't know. (b) the wireless card built into the Revo has been the subject of some complaints, though it does work. If you get the (very popular) Asrock then reports suggest it has a good wireless card, but the 330Pro doesn't include wireless so you need an HT or HT-BD. Or of course you couls use a USB wireless adaptor.

alucard77 Wrote:3- If I get a wireless N setup, can I play h264 or x264 via Wireless N?

Even 1080p will play fine over a wireless network.

JR
No on DTS-HD passthrough. It will just passthrough the core DTS track on an ION system due to a hardware limitation. It WILL pass along 8 channel PCM, so if you decode your rips beforehand you can get the same quality.
Since the Asrock 330 is currently out of stock, I guess my XBOX XBMC can hold out till v10.5 is released. I think that would be better overall since I have no clue about Linux.

What Wireless N Network would you guys recommend?

Is v10.5 supposed to boot directly into XBMC if you run Windows? This would be helpful for my wife.
You can boot directly to XBMC on Windows now, just put XBMC into your start up folder.

I have two monitors, so Windows boots on the movie screen, and then windows loads on my computer screen.
I'm not a newbie. I always act this dumb.

Home Cinema Setup
-------------------
37 inch TV - Intel I3 530 @ 2.9GHZ - 4 Gig Memory - Silverstone home cinema case (silver)
Whats the boot time on that?

Also, can you put XBMC to standby with this method? Do you need to turn off power management in windows to use it in this method as well?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading from XBOX XBMC To PC Based XBMC, Some Questions0