Shared Audio device
Hi, I seem to be hitting a brick wall in the ubuntu forum so I was hoping I might get some help here.

I have a squeezeserver environment with a bunch of hardware clients around the house, I would like my zotac mag to be included as a zone. However I also use the machine as my main media centre machine using XBMC.
My problem is, unlike windows and mac when I run squeezeslave in ubuntu (lucid) the software locks the audio device so XBMC (or any other software for that matter) cant use it. Is there a way to get software to not lock up the audio device so I can run XBMC with squeezeslave running as a deamon to use with my squeezeserver.

any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks
Paul
I had the same problem as you. But I got it working! Smile

I'm using the Squeezeslave version 1.0.210 which can be downloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/softsque...eezeslave/

I'm using the XBMC-live Dharma version 10.0 (which uses background OS Ubuntu 10.04/Lucid) on my P7H55 motherboard, with the integrated Realtek ALC887 audio device.

So this is how you should do (hope this works for you, and others):

Unpack your squeezeslave archive and browse to the folder in the terminal. (this archive seems to contain several executables, but as I use Ubuntu I choose the corresponding executable in this little tutorial).

Check which audio-devices squeezeslave displays (run in terminal):
./squeezeslave-lnx26-ubuntu -L

This will output something like this:
Code:
0: (ALSA) Intel ICH6: Intel ICH6 (hw:0,0) (11/46)
  4: (ALSA) Intel ICH6: Intel ICH6 - IEC958 (hw:0,4) (10/42)
  6: (ALSA) front (11/46)
* 7: (ALSA) default (42/46)
  8: (ALSA) dmix (42/42)
  9: (OSS) /dev/dsp (11/46)
10: (OSS) /dev/dsp1 (11/46)

For me the device iec958 did put out sound, but locked the audio device for XBMC. Instead I used one of devices flagged with "(OSS)", in this example number 9 or 10. One of these worked for me.

Create a startup script (type this in terminal):
nano startupsqueezeslave

Edit it with these lines:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/squeezeslave-lnx26-ubuntu -M /var/log/squeezeslave.log -o9 -r10 &
exit 0

Press CTRL + O to save
Press ENTER to confirm
Press CTRL + X to exit

Make the file executable:
chmod +x startupsqueezeslave

Notes:
*-M filepath does mean it should be run as a daemon and where to save the log file. You can choose the filepath yourself.
*-r10 means that the daemon will try to connect to server with 10 second intervalls. Choose a number for your needs.
* -o9 tells squeezeslave which device to use (use a number from step 2).

Copy squeezeslave and startupscript to /usr/local/bin
sudo cp squeezeslave-lnx26-ubuntu /usr/local/bin/
sudo cp startupsqueezeslave /usr/local/bin/

Make the squeezeslave startup at boot:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Add this line at the end of the file before the line "exit 0":
/usr/local/bin/startupsqueezeslave

Hope it works folks. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shared Audio device0