ScreenSaver plugin API for XBMC
take a look at the templatexbs.rar file in the docs folder in cvs - this shows a bare bones screensaver. the interface is almost identical to that of the visualisations but as jonathon said, none of the audio info is passed through.

it would be pretty simple to convert a vis to a screensaver but without any audio data feed i'd question how useful it would be.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sad 
can this new api interface be used to launch screensavers, or visualizations inside a box on the menu, or even cooler,
could we be able to create a skin that had a slight background transparency to allow a visualization to play in the background.
i have used mxm with the mxmlive theme for quite some time, and this adds to the "ahhhh" factor(although i think it is a movie loop playing int he background, instead of say a live rendering/visualization....but this is where the screensaver could come in)

also, if we could make that work, with background music playing(from shoutcast stream, or rip'd cd's, or wma files stored on local xbox folder) then xbmc would be my new dashboard :-)

i would be willing to tackle a skin to do this, if the functionality could be done.
Quote: posted on dec. 02 2004,20:42can this new api interface be used to launch screensavers, or visualizations inside a box on the menu
in simple terms, yes. i guess this depends on whether there is a demand for being able to do this (it would require a small amount of coding to accomodate it). when the screensaver's render is called you just render on to an existing device, so you could quite easily render whatever you wanted on top of what was already on the screen, or if required, behind (would depend on when the render was called).

perhaps others could share their thoughts?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Sad 
so with the api, would that be a thing that coud be skinned,
or would we have to hit the source code?

oh, and i haven't seen a skin call music in the background, is that function already available?
a screensaver, by it's very nature, would require coding.

is there any way you could export this to the python api?
started working on porting flurry last night, got most of it done except for the vertex buffer stuff, seems directx does them quite a buit different than opengl. also struggling with transformations a bit too but i don't think should be too hard to fix.

anyone know of a good page that shows directx equivalents for opengl calls? i haven't been able ot find one on google and it would be really handy (i'm a directx noob, i code mostly in opengl)
Quote:also, if we could make that work, with background music playing(from shoutcast stream, or rip'd cd's, or wma files stored on local xbox folder) then xbmc would be my new dashboard :-)
i also agree that it would be cool to have an instance of mplayer rendering video and another instance playing something else. you could then have mpeg visualisations/screensavers but i dunno if that's feasible. would mplayer support multiple instances and is it thread safe?
Hi,

Would it be possible for the (a) screensaver to kick off a python script? I'm looking to create a custom screensaver for xbmc but I'm lots more proficient at Python than I am at c++.

The screensaver I'm looking to build would show random album covers, and play the displayed album when the 'play' key is pressed on the remote. Is this even possible? As in, can a screensaver capture keys and start audio?
muis Wrote:Hi,

Would it be possible for the (a) screensaver to kick off a python script? I'm looking to create a custom screensaver for xbmc but I'm lots more proficient at Python than I am at c++.

The screensaver I'm looking to build would show random album covers, and play the displayed album when the 'play' key is pressed on the remote. Is this even possible? As in, can a screensaver capture keys and start audio?

It seems that the DLL interface doesn't have input methods. Maybe adding them it would be posible to do it and open the door to add binary apps... Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ScreenSaver plugin API for XBMC2