Picture Navigation Slow
Question 
I'm having trouble navigating through pictures. I'm running 9.11 Alpha 2 on Karmic. I'm accessing the pictures via SMB. The file server is running Karmic Server and is connected via a gigabit network. I've done some throughput tests and the connection between the two boxes is fine. The pictures are around 5MB in size. I would say it takes around 3-5 seconds to advance to the next picture.

Any ideas why this is slow or is there some setting i'm missing?

Thanks
Check which version of libjpeg you have. There's been several reports that libjpeg7 is a whole heap slower than libjpeg6.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sad 
mklein49 Wrote:I'm having trouble navigating through pictures. I'm running 9.11 Alpha 2 on Karmic. I'm accessing the pictures via SMB. The file server is running Karmic Server and is connected via a gigabit network. I've done some throughput tests and the connection between the two boxes is fine. The pictures are around 5MB in size. I would say it takes around 3-5 seconds to advance to the next picture.

Any ideas why this is slow or is there some setting i'm missing?

Thanks

Did you solve it ?

I have the same problem here. XBMC 9.11 Live installed on a Zotac Mag and updated to latest svn.

Gigabit network.

Pictures are on SMB share and when accessed via pc, I'm able to go to next pictures instantly.

But on XBMC, it is always like 4-5 seconds delay when I push right arrow key on keyboard.

MKV video files play fine including big 1080p ones.

Somebody has an idea ?
Another point.

The server is a mediaSmart from HP. It is running WHS.
It is also a uPnP server.

When accessing pictures from my PS3 from the same uPNP server which is transcoding pictures I suppose, it is fast to skip to next picture.

But on XBMC, from SMB or same uPNP server, it is slow.
I set "statfiles" to false in advancedsettings.xml.

Listing directories is faster, but picture to picture nagivation is still slow.

Is there any other setting I might try ?
I wonder if its because other picture viewers cache the next picture in advance or perhaps the fade in.

I noticed this recently and it is annoying although I've not investigated yet.
Crispy2 Wrote:I wonder if its because other picture viewers cache the next picture in advance or perhaps the fade in.

I noticed this recently and it is annoying although I've not investigated yet.

Is there any pictures cache related setting to put in advancedsettings.xml ?

Even without cache, gigabit network is supposed to load next picture in less than a second, not 4 to 5 seconds before next one.
On PS3, it accesses pictures via upnp (which is transcoding), it is nearly instant between each pictures. I may go back and forth and never experienced noticable delay.
But on XBMC, via smb or upnp, it is always the same 4-5 sec delay.

It is I want to show families pictures albums with XBMC instead of having to use the PS3 for that.
Even locally its just over 1 second.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture Navigation Slow0