Only "Suspend/Hibernate" no "shutdown"
Hi,

I have an asrock ion 330, working pretty much great. The problem I have is that in the power management of xbmc i can only select hibernate and suspend.

I can use the power button on the front of the box to shutdown, but I'd quite like to be able to do it from the couch (lazy i know!)

here is how I set up the box so far:

1. Install a 'command line install' from the karmic alternate install cd. only 1 user 'xbmc' but password is not 'xbmc'

2. apt-get update and then upgrade and then dist-upgrade

3. add repositories for nvidia, svn xbmc, and kitlaan's ppa (for bluez)

from memory i installed

xbmc (last svn just before the merge, sorry, I will find out the svn revision later today)
xbmc-live
xinit
x11-xserver-utils
python-software-properties
pkg-config
python-dbus
bluez (for my ps3 remote)
acpid (had to to get the power button to work)
nvidia-glx-256
nvidia-settings
libvdpau1
ssh
samba

I also install alsa 1.0.23 via the alsa upgrade script.

I tried

Code:
sudo apt-get install hal

sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

which I think is for 9.04

So I tried everything in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...=hibernate

the

Code:
sudo apt-get install pm-utils policykit-1 devicekit-power

sudo nano /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla

[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*
ResultActive=yes
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=yes

made suspend/hibernate work. I just don't know how to get more of the options available

any help appreciated.

also for a debug log, would you want a bootup/attempt to scroll through the options? as it doesnt show as a glitch or error or crash I'm not sure what to get.

###################SOLVED!##############################

edit - if anyone finds this, I did solve it by doing the following:

sudo apt-get install hal policykit-1 devicekit-power acpid acpi-support pm-utils policykit

then:

sudo nano /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla

[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*
ResultActive=yes
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=yes

then:

sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

no idea why it didnt and now it does. :S (this install i did it all before installing xbmc and xbmc-live, the only difference in terms of installed packages is the bold one)
Thanks for the post. XBMC used to shutdown correctly on my Revo, but it stopped recently and, as a complete novice, I've not been able to solve the problem until I came across this thread. Now it's fix, so all I have left to do is get the Power button on the remote to work, oh, and buy a new TV to plug it into....
i can't really take any credit, as I didn't come up with any solutions

The only thing different compared to the other info i could find was the acpi-support.

but glad it could help.
neil.j1983 Wrote:
Code:
sudo apt-get install pm-utils policykit-1 devicekit-power
Just a thing to remember here: devicekit-power has been obsoleted in Ubuntu v10.4; install "upower" instead. Run "pkaction" to check if you have these two:
Code:
root@htpc:~# pkaction | egrep 'stop|suspend'
org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
org.freedesktop.upower.suspend
and then setting these options should do the job for you.
Code:
polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions
Hope this helps. cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q150 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
thanks, I'm on 9.10 atm, but will undoubtedly upgrade when the next stable is upon us.
neil.j1983 Wrote:thanks, I'm on 9.10 atm, but will undoubtedly upgrade when the next stable is upon us.
Oops!! sorry Neil, I yet to catch up with the code names. I mixed up "karmic" with "lucid". Sorry about that. Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q150 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
Great, this solved my problem after upgrading just now Smile

However there is a small error in the config file.

There shouldn't be a whitespace in the last section of this line :

Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.*;org.freed esktop.consolekit.system.*

It should be :

org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*
don't know why the second had the gap and the first didn't. As I was aware of the gap, I should've checked! thanks anyway
Thanks Neil, I gave up on using suspend/resume until the next release... then read your post. This worked great.
Thank you very much, Neil, this helped me so much!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Only "Suspend/Hibernate" no "shutdown"0