change resolution through ssh
Hi i am running linux on a apple tv with xbmc loaded to it. It is being outputted to a 720p tv, but i messed up the screen resolution so i can't see anytihng Smile - is there a way to change the output resolution of xbmc through SSH? (I am a linux noob btw)
da-bitsch Wrote:Hi i am running linux on a apple tv with xbmc loaded to it. It is being outputted to a 720p tv, but i messed up the screen resolution so i can't see anytihng Smile - is there a way to change the output resolution of xbmc through SSH? (I am a linux noob btw)

try deleting ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml
then reboot
or edit that file to your correct display settings
Press THANK USER if I Help
Try xrandr, to set the resolution to 1280 X 720 use this command:

Code:
xrandr -s 1280x720

Note the 'x' has to be lower case.

Jerry
Now this command does not work via ssh, only on a shell from within X.

If this is done from a remote machine I get: Can't open display

I'd like to switch XBMC from 720p to 480p on the fly, and this seems the best way to do it from a remote machine..

Anyone know how to do this?
export DISPLAY=:0.0

That makes the output go to the display and you should be able to use xrandr then
xrandr -d :0.0 -s 1280x720
should work also, unfortunately it won't necessarily change the size of the XBMC "window" itself.
ruuk: I registered just to say thank you. THANK YOU.
I've been fighting with my HTPC for days about this. You saved me and my wife's minds. Thank you. We could kiss you.
Hi,

This is the most relevant post I could find to my problem and have been trying to reach the same resolution.

I have a problem with my TV not supporting the HDMI output from XBMC. I can view the boot screen with the R but then the screen just goes blank. It's a fairly crap TV so I'm almost sure it's just that the TV isn't supporting the output settings from XBMC. The tv works fine with other Pi installations.

I have tried the steps above to change the settings through SSH but just get a message of "-bash: xrandr: command not found"

Anyone able to give any suggestions?

Thanks
sudo apt-get install x11-xserver-utils
Thank you for the quick response. I'm now getting a "can't open display: 0.0" message.

I've tried using "export DISPLAY=:0.0" and tried with or without monitor attached but not having any luck.
does this work:

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr -q

if not:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit
pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Unable to read from: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Next time you highjack a thread, make sure that you tell in bold letters, that you are running a PI and no Xserver at all ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
change resolution through ssh0