Need Different Resolutions for Different Sessions
Currently I am running xbmc-live 9.11 on an Acer Revo 3610 and Dual Booting with Windows 7.. I am getting tired however of having to reboot into Windows anytime I want a Desktop Experence so I am planning on running xbmc-standalone over Karmic so I can quickly have a desktop when needed. I am testing the set-up in a Wubi Install of Karmic at the present.

All set up with Nvidia 195 vdpau drivers working great.

How do I set a different resolution per session in Ubuntu?

I would like 1080p 60Hz for xbmc which logs in automatically as "xbmc" user but when I exit XBMC and log in as the "Desktop" user I need 720p for GNOME as 1080p is tiny on my 32" Panasonic TV.

I currently can have it set up one way or the other but is there a way to have it automatically switch between sessions? I have googled but found no solutions.

Any Help/Suggestions Appreciated!!
Thanks
Capt.Insano
Try using xrandr. For the Desktop user open a terminal and try this command:

Code:
xrandr -s 1280x720

If that works then you can add that to the "Startup Applications" (System->Preferences->Startup Applications)

Of-course do the same thing for the XBMC user but pu this in instead:

Code:
xrandr -s 1920x1080@60

Hope it works for you!

Jerry
jawilljr Wrote:Try using xrandr. For the Desktop user open a terminal and try this command:

Code:
xrandr -s 1280x720

If that works then you can add that to the "Startup Applications" (System->Preferences->Startup Applications)

Of-course do the same thing for the XBMC user but pu this in instead:

Code:
xrandr -s 1920x1080@60

Hope it works for you!

Jerry

Worked like a charm!!
Almost ready to move from Wubi Install to Full Install with everything set-up just right!!

Thanks A Million Jerry.
Glad it works!!!

Jerry
Not to raise a dead thread, but does anyone have any advice on how to do this automatically when logging in to the XBMCbuntu OpenBox desktop? There is no "start up applications" option like on gnome!!

Thanks
(2012-05-10, 00:30)Capt.Insano Wrote: Not to raise a dead thread, but does anyone have any advice on how to do this automatically when logging in to the XBMCbuntu OpenBox desktop? There is no "start up applications" option like on gnome!!

Thanks

Being that you need it to switch back to 720p after xbmc runs I would probably just start and stop xbmc with a script, something like below.. That way it will kick the res to 1080, run xbmc, and then when xbmc quits it will switch back to 720p.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr -s 1920x1080@60
xbmc
xrandr -s 1280x720

As far as Openbox just put the desired commands in ~/.config/openbox/autostart and they should be executed on startup.

Code:
xrandr -s 1280x720

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Different Resolutions for Different Sessions0