[LINUX][MAC] Frontend required
Hello,

I've been running xbmc and mythtv for a couple of years now and its been great. Now its time to move the huge media center box somewhere else and run a smaller frontend box.

I wanted to go with the appleTV because its small and should do the trick?
But since red dead redemption came out i want an xbox (supposed to be better on xbox than ps3) so maybe i could use the xbox instead? I'm kinda anti MS though which is why i haven't purchased an xbox.

Are there any other ideas, i've seen those zotac boxes they look pretty cool, i don't really have access to that gear locally though.

Any help on this would be appreciated any comments on people using appletv boxes or other frontends would be great.

thank you.
Not my opinion:

XBox360's don't run XBMC

My opinion:

Both Xbox 360 and PS3s make terrible media frontends.

I think my ION box wipes the floor with my Broadcom- accelerated Apple TV. An AppleTV has plenty of enough CPU, but its lack of RAM and the Broadcom's more strict limits (than the ION) make it way inferior.

One last note though- ION boxes aren't the best with de-interlacing content in MythTV. You might want to wait for ION2 boxes that have twice the shaders (which means hopefully better de-interlacing support).
xbmcn00b Wrote:Hello,

I've been running xbmc and mythtv for a couple of years now and its been great.

What's the primary difference between the two?

I just want to build a HTPC Linux machine (Ubuntu) that will play BluRay and 1080p Video and need to use a sound card that does 7.1 RCA out for HD uncompressed sound feeds into my preamp (don't have HDMI ins for sound on it). I was looking at the Azuntech card...dunno if it's a good choice with this system, etc.

Any suggestions?
i run xbmc for music and movies and mythv for live tv so i can pause etc. but i play the recordings through xbmc.

if mythv creates a nice new interface like xbmc i'd probably got with mythtv but xbmc menus and interface are just awesome...but no pvr solution just yet. So it will be awesome when thats sorted.

as update i bought an apple tv and its going back.

if you just want to run XBMC its ok a bit slow but ok but if you want to run linux on it man does it take some modding and its not that great.

i'm looking at the ion based systems at the moment.
Ok so that apple is now gone.

I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything.

I was something small, without an optical drive.

I've been looking at the asrock 330 which has everything but its a bit big.

I'm wanting to spend around the 300.00 mark and something i can get in Australia.

Anybody find anything? If you built your own what did you use and where did you get it?

I seem to be going around in circles at the moment.
Here is by build thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71784
ok so i'm looking at the zotacs again now.

i can get this
http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/68042_...ZOTAC.aspx

zotacs any good?

or i'm looking at just buying a case and a board.
any suggestions if i want to throw US$300-400 at something, that will "just work" with an xbmc livecd, and give me 1080p playback?
$300-$400 i + 1080p IS a Revo.
not familiar with all the models, poked around on the xbmc website but didn't find anything that looked like "just works".

I assume there's some inadequacy of the $199 revo that the $329 revo fixes?

I'd be a little surprised if the extra CPU core made much difference, doesn't the ION do all the heavy lifting of the decoding?

The Ion LE lacks DirectX 10, which i presume is irrelevant; nvidia's site says it has HD deocding support.

Otherwise the specs seem basically he same. different version of windows, but if i were using liveCD it wouldn't matter. More RAM in the more expensive one, if that were the only issue it's easy enough to correct on its own.

thanks for your reply!

(i should add that if i need to spend $330 i'll do it; i was just pleasantly surprised to see a $200 option too)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX][MAC] Frontend required0