Can't remap apple remote keys for OS X?
Hi guys, this is probably a stupid/easy fix but I'm scratching my head.

I set up XBMC 9.11 on my iMac to play around with it and make a decision about getting a Mac Mini as a dedicated HTPC.

It's working wonderfully and the Apple Remote is working out of the box.

I'm having an issue though with trying to remap keys from the Apple remote. I don't need the up/down volume controls during fullscreen video playback as I would eventually be using my AVR for this. I wanted to map the up/down buttons to different functions (like "info") for example but I can't get it to work.

I opened up the XBMC package and copied this file->

joystick.AppleRemote.xml

to

~/XBMC/userdata/keymaps/keymap.xml

And then changed the lines for fullscreen playback to look like this;

Code:
<FullscreenVideo>
    <joystick name="AppleRemote">
      <button id="1">Info</button>
      <button id="2">XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</button>
      <button id="3">StepBack</button>
      <button id="4">StepForward</button>
      <button id="5">Pause</button>
      <button id="6">Stop</button>
      <button id="7">OSD</button>
      <button id="9">Rewind</button>
      <button id="10">FastForward</button>
    </joystick>
  </FullscreenVideo>

It's not working though. Even after restarting XBMC the up/down buttons on the remote continue to work the volume.

What am I missing here? Any help appreciated, thanks!
try using the same name in the new location Smile

~/XBMC/userdata/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml
Riderzzz Wrote:try using the same name in the new location Smile

~/XBMC/userdata/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml

Unfortunately that had no effect, the up/down keys are still only controlling volume. Confused
voip-ninja Wrote:Unfortunately that had no effect, the up/down keys are still only controlling volume. Confused

I assume the new location is the library location, not the program loaction.
You didnt change the remote control input in xbmc-settings?

if you dont get succes, i dont know where this is coming from. try to see wich file is used by xbmc to delete/rename them. you will notice when your remote is not woring anymore wich file is correct and then you can chage it in the current location. But its better to copy the file to userdata, then it will be safed after upgrading xbmc.

Hope you get some succes Smile
Riderzzz Wrote:I assume the new location is the library location, not the program loaction.
You didnt change the remote control input in xbmc-settings?

if you dont get succes, i dont know where this is coming from. try to see wich file is used by xbmc to delete/rename them. you will notice when your remote is not woring anymore wich file is correct and then you can chage it in the current location. But its better to copy the file to userdata, then it will be safed after upgrading xbmc.

Hope you get some succes Smile

Well, you did point me in the right direction but it's not completely resolved. I found that by editing the joystick.AppleRemote.xml in the system/keymaps folder all of my custom key presses begin to work.

Unfortunately if I copy this file into userdata/keymaps/ and change the original system file back to defaults it still fails.

Apparently I am either the file in the wrong place (made a new directory called keymaps under userdata and put the file there) or I'm missing something obvious.
voip-ninja Wrote:Well, you did point me in the right direction but it's not completely resolved. I found that by editing the joystick.AppleRemote.xml in the system/keymaps folder all of my custom key presses begin to work.

Unfortunately if I copy this file into userdata/keymaps/ and change the original system file back to defaults it still fails.

Apparently I am either the file in the wrong place (made a new directory called keymaps under userdata and put the file there) or I'm missing something obvious.

what is the full path of the new location? it should be something like this:
frontrow/library/application support/XBMC/userdata/keymaps

i dont remember anymore for 9.11 xbmc, but it could also be:
frontrow/library/application support/XBMC/system/keymaps

hope you get it to work!
Riderzzz Wrote:what is the full path of the new location? it should be something like this:
frontrow/library/application support/XBMC/userdata/keymaps

i dont remember anymore for 9.11 xbmc, but it could also be:
frontrow/library/application support/XBMC/system/keymaps

hope you get it to work!

I don't see any of those paths/files in Frontrow. Are you sure XBMC user config data is stored in the Front Row application package path? Oo

The path of the original AppleRemote file is;

/Applications/XBMC/system/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml/

I put a copy for my own user settings into;

/Applications/XBMC/userdata/keymaps/

I had seen some other threads that said copying it into the above path was the correct one. If it's not the correct one I would love to know what is!

Thanks! Wink
Mac OS X uses the following direcory;

~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata

If I recall correctly, you only need to the changes in your userdata version of the .xml file. Once you're up and running with your full-blown copied-and-amended version of the xml file, you may want to try trimming your userdata version down so that it only contains the actual changes you want to apply over and above the master copy?

NB: It's only ATV that uses /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata
Fergus Wrote:Mac OS X uses the following direcory;

~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata

If I recall correctly, you only need to the changes in your userdata version of the .xml file. Once you're up and running with your full-blown copied-and-amended version of the xml file, you may want to try trimming your userdata version down so that it only contains the actual changes you want to apply over and above the master copy?

NB: It's only ATV that uses /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata

Ah, this perhaps explains it! I don't have an XBMC directory under Application Support so I will try to create it along with the userdata folder and associated files and report if it is working properly.

Thanks for all of the help.
voip-ninja Wrote:Ah, this perhaps explains it! I don't have an XBMC directory under Application Support so I will try to create it along with the userdata folder and associated files and report if it is working properly.

Thanks for all of the help.

If you don't have an XBMC directory under Application Support in the user account name, then something is very, very wrong.
You may wanna try to disable the always run xbmc in the xbmc system settings, while editing the keymap file. That fixed the same problem for me.
davilla Wrote:If you don't have an XBMC directory under Application Support in the user account name, then something is very, very wrong.

I do actually have a XBMC directory under user/application. I had not seen it pointed out in any keyboard/remote FAQs that the files were there in OS X.

I will make the change and I'm sure it will fix it. Will report back if not.

Thanks again.
And indeed, it is now working. Thanks again, the gold star goes to davilla (but I appreciate the other guys who tried to help)!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't remap apple remote keys for OS X?0