Homestyle 2 Wallpaper
I'm wondering what xml file allows me to input a image file instead of text for the backgrounds on the main page. I prefer this style because I design my own icons and like to display them in their glory. Alaska is by far the most impressive XBMC skin in terms of functionality and visual splendor IMO. Thanks for the feedback.
I'm not sure about replacing text with images, but you can always add your custom icons.

Just make them into .png format and put them in the "homeicons" folder which is located in the "media" folder of Alaska.
You have to rename them in the format <name>icon.png

Ex. tvshowsicon.png

Hope this helps
Well Home.xml is what controls the Home Menu, though if you look through it you will notice some tags that say includes which link to the Includes.xml file. If you feel like getting your hands dirty take a look at 'Green Mod' and study the Home.xml file as well as the Includes.xml file. The code for fanart and background images is there, you just have to know what to copy and paste and where to put it.

Good Luck.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, however identifying which tag and where to place it in the xml file is what's getting me. Is "<include>Global_Background</include>" what I'm looking for? Also where the tag needs to be placed is confusing me. I'm slowly trying to learn scripting.
Here is the code for the displaying an image in the background.
Code:
<control type="largeimage">
    <include>Dimensions_Fullscreen</include>
    <fadetime>400</fadetime>
    <texture background="true">$INFO[Container(9000).ListItem.Thumb]</texture>
    <include>Animation_CommonFade</include>
    <aspectratio align="bottom">keep</aspectratio>
</control>
<control type="image">
    <include>Dimensions_Fullscreen</include>
    <texture>filters/home_vignette.png</texture>
</control>
The first control tag (largeimage) is your actual background. The text between the texture tags is what is actually being put in the background. Container(9000) is the home menu object (not exactly, but in this case yes.). More precisely the id of the control that holds the home menu is 9000 and Container() simply references that. ListItem refers to the currently selected item in the home menu and Thumb refers to the <thumb> tag of the item.

First thing you will most likely have to do is go into Home.xml and replace an image control that loads a static background. I will look fairly similar to the 'image' control in the above chunk of code.

Then you will need to modify the home menu list (It's an include named HomeIcon if memory serves correctly) to contain a thumb tag with the path to your background image.

Code:
special://skin/
Use that string to tell XBMC to look in the current skin's root folder.

So if your background was located in Alaska/media/backdrops/video.jpg, your thumb tag would resemble this (for the video list item)
Code:
<thumb>special://skin/media/backdrops/video.jpg

Also use this wiki article for guidance while doing this.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Skinning_XBMC

Good luck.
kryptonyte, thanks for your detailed instructions. I'm still fiddling about trying to get it situated, and appreciate you taking the time for a quick tutorial.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Homestyle 2 Wallpaper0