Various Artists in Music
Question 
I have always been very freaky in organizing my CD's. So I kept everything alphabetically and I had a special drawer for Jazz, one for Classical music etc. Right now I am struggling to find a good way in XBMC to organize it all.

I am not too crazy about using Genres to make seperate lists, there too many albums that can easily fit two or three genres. For instance, take John Zorn's Filmworks VIII. Would I put that under Jazz, Soundtrack or even Klezmer? And what if I always want all John Zorn's albums in one list....?

Basically I have three categories that I want to use. The first I called 'Main'. It holds pop, contemporrary jazz, world music etc. The second is for the more classic Jazz (like Parker, Coltrane etc). Finally I want a seperate list for all my classical music.

On top of that I want every member of my family to have his/her own folder where they can place some stuff that they downloaded or just got from someone. At some point I may decide to add this to the main folder (or not).

Maybe someone has a tip on how this best can be done. Currently I am thinking of using the MAIN categorie in Library Mode and use File Mode for all others. But it's not a pretty solution and they work differently which may be confusion for the wife and kids.

One thing that I am also struggling with are the 'Various Artists' albums. I really want these at the end of my list, not amongst all the other albums between the U and the W. I find that very annoying. Is there a way to put them at the end of the list?

A lot of questions, I know. But I am quite serious about getting this to run my whole media household. Nod
I personally tag things with all genres that apply. They'll show up in all 3 genres in that case.

If you did this you could then have smart playlists for your 3 sections, though it would require some skin work to have this work nicely from the homescreen etc.

There's certainly nothing wrong with scanning your files into the library and then just using filemode - particularly if you have things nicely organised in folders. It would give you more control, but obviously you miss out on some of the niceties.

You can't alter the order that various artists sort in the library, no. One option may be to remove them from the album listing as we have a separate "Compilations" node already.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Various Artists in Music0