• 173(current)
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated)
(2013-06-05, 01:12)nessus Wrote: Thanks robweber. Will test it and get back to you.
As for the Music fanart, i think will be very good option for the MusicVisualization screen.

Cheers
Nessus

Done. I've added music fanart to the addon and pushed the changes to the git repo. You can now set two paths in the settings, one for video and one for music. Do not make them the same, the image cleaning process will remove images of different types (ie, video grabber removes music and vice versa). The service portion of the addon will also pass along music and video database update events and start the correct grabber.

I did not create a setting to toggle the video/music grabbers on/off. This was done on purpose as the goal for this addon is to be hands off and easy for users and skinners. If people want something more complicated or with more settings they are welcome to use the artwork organizer addon mentioned previously. As it stands now all you should need to do is download this addon and let it run (pointing skins towards the right directories of course).

(2013-06-05, 01:17)fogcity Wrote: A thought for robweber: It would be nice to have the fanart captioned with the title of the movie / show it comes from, and triple nice to be able to select that caption and play the item in question.

What's the chance of any of that?

That sounds like more of a skinner responsibility as my addon is not creating any views. I'm simply taking the existing fanart images and putting them in a directory for slideshows. A skinner could overlay the information you are asking for and create the clickable actions. This is IF they can determine what image artwork is being shown - probably not an easy task given the CRC hash all the image names are converted to. I'll let a skinner comment on the plausibility of this.
Thanks a lot robweber.
The video part is working fine however the music is not working. I've manual updated the music library (without or with any new content) and the default folder is not generated. Also after you added the Music fanart an ok dialog appears with a "Creating Fanart Path" message and it appears only when you update video library regardless if the "Run Silent" addon settings is enabled or not. Let me know if you need a full debug log.

I have some more things that IMO will make this addon better but don't you think is time for a dedicated thread in the addons forum development so we can stop hijacking Jeroen's thread ?

Cheers
Nessus
robweber,

I wouldn't bring this up since you've done such a great job, but since your addon now supports music:

it would be nice to see fanart for TV shows when TV SHOWS is the current home menu item, and movie fanart when MOVIES is the current home menu item.

i expected it to work this way from the beginning but realized it would require splitting tv show and movie fanart to two separate directories.

but now, since you just did that for music.... seems like it would be possible... ?
I've created a separate thread for the fanart grabber. As Nessus stated we've gone way off track with this here. Sorry Jeroen - you can have your thread back!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166572
I love the slideshow that appears in the home menu, but would like to suspend it after some period of inactivity. My thought here is that doing so will allow all disks to spin down and take a rest for most of the day. Accessing these hundreds of tiny images would seemingly prevent that (unless I'm wrong?)

I tried to turn on the Dim screensaver with a setting of 100% brightness; I thought that when a screensaver is active that the slideshow would pause. No such luck.

Suggestions?
(2013-06-06, 16:04)robweber Wrote: I've created a separate thread for the fanart grabber. As Nessus stated we've gone way off track with this here. Sorry Jeroen - you can have your thread back!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166572

No problem at all Rob! thanks for your efforts. Next release will have support for the fanart grabber built in.

(2013-05-23, 04:35)fabiomello Wrote:
(2013-04-07, 15:09)FREAKJAM Wrote: Hi Jeroen,

Welcome back. Have you ever considered bringing this vertical menu back? I absolutely loved this menu.

man, never seen this before.
this is beautiful!. where can i get it? it is on an older reFocus version?

Even though I didn't really set out to, the homescreen menu I am currently still working on is turning out to be a lot like this one.

Meanwhile I have gone through countless home menu variations now. Everytime it's nearing completion I run into showstopper limitations or problems. But I think the current one is going to stick. It will allow quick access to both sub menu and recently added items, with as few clicks as I can make it.

It should also make this possible as an option:

(2013-06-03, 19:25)fogcity Wrote: 1) Will this be girlfriend-friendly? Basically I want to leave it so she can turn on the TV and the new movies and episodes are immediately visible. I can teach her to use the arrow and OK buttons, but there's no value in features that don't leap out at her when she arrows up or down through the menu.
A bit of food for thought Jeroen.

I've been using xeebo now for quite a long time as my default skin as I've massively simplified my remote setup from an mce remote to an Apple remote. It's probably the most user friendly skin out there as far as clarity in navigation goes. With everything remaining vertical and consistent/easy to acces.

One major feature that sets xeebo apart from other skins is the fact that you can acces the main menu from ANY section of xbmc by just bringing up the left menu... No need to push back a million times to go to the home screen, just to go from movies to live tv.

The left menu remains universal across all sections of the skin allowing you to quickly and easily move from section to section without taking a step back. And the right side menu is there to alter the views and sort order of each individual view. Again it's all kept 100% consistent and there are no surprises.

Perhaps you could do something very simlar to this?

Cheers,
Loggio.
Quote:
(2013-05-23, 04:35)fabiomello Wrote:
(2013-04-07, 15:09)FREAKJAM Wrote: Hi Jeroen,

Welcome back. Have you ever considered bringing this vertical menu back? I absolutely loved this menu.

man, never seen this before.
this is beautiful!. where can i get it? it is on an older reFocus version?

Even though I didn't really set out to, the homescreen menu I am currently still working on is turning out to be a lot like this one.

Meanwhile I have gone through countless home menu variations now. Everytime it's nearing completion I run into showstopper limitations or problems. But I think the current one is going to stick. It will allow quick access to both sub menu and recently added items, with as few clicks as I can make it.

I'm glad the new homescreen will be very much like the one you used in the older version of reFocus. I was always very fond of that homescreen, so I am glad I posted this homescreen to remind some people of it! Keep up the good work Jeroen!
A quick look at some of the basic working concepts I'm juggling with.

This would be the main menu.

Pressing right on any of the main categories would open up an inline submenu much like the above menu.

Pressing left the main menu item will collapse the submenu when expanded.

Pressing left when the submenu is not expanded will reveal the recently added items for movies or tv shows, depending on which is highlighted in the main menu. An option to always keep this menu open would be provided.

Unfortunately pressing left in the submenu will not collapse the submenu and return to the main menu as expected, but it will also skip to the recently added items. I don't like this and so far I have not found a way around this.

Meanwhile I started experimenting with another idea. As much as I like seeing a lot of the fanart on the homescreen, it is not very functional. Going out of my way to keep the menu system as minimal as possible does seem counter productive in a way. So I thought why not make the background fanart part of the menu system?

So then we have the main menu again:

Now, pressing right will horizontally slide the main menu to the left side and focus on the most recently added episode.

Scrolling down would vertically scroll to the next one, this is one big list. Visual clues would be added to make clear how to navigate.

Pressing right again will scroll further to the right and focus on the most recently added movies.

Pressing the back button will at any time scroll back to the main menu.

Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to go to the submenu. Pressing left from the main menu seems...weird.

Maybe some kind of combination between the two. But the submenu expanding everytime you want to go right to the recently added episode doesn't really appeal.

EDIT: so a combination:

Pressing right enters the recently added items. Clicking opens up the submenu and focuses on the first item in the list. If no submenu items are enabled clicking will launch the appropriate section right away.

(2013-06-26, 22:49)loggio Wrote: A bit of food for thought Jeroen.

I've been using xeebo now for quite a long time as my default skin as I've massively simplified my remote setup from an mce remote to an Apple remote. It's probably the most user friendly skin out there as far as clarity in navigation goes. With everything remaining vertical and consistent/easy to acces.

One major feature that sets xeebo apart from other skins is the fact that you can acces the main menu from ANY section of xbmc by just bringing up the left menu... No need to push back a million times to go to the home screen, just to go from movies to live tv.

The left menu remains universal across all sections of the skin allowing you to quickly and easily move from section to section without taking a step back. And the right side menu is there to alter the views and sort order of each individual view. Again it's all kept 100% consistent and there are no surprises.

Perhaps you could do something very simlar to this?

Cheers,
Loggio.

This is something I have considered several times. The way I have restructured the side menu should make this easier. I'll won't rule out doing something like this later down the road. As the submenu is so flexible right now, I have changed the back button behaviour to go straight back to the home menu though. So it will be faster in any case.
Looks good. I'm glad you continue to update the skin. Just a suggestion: the sub-menu is not intuitive, it needs an indicator and also the alignment should be different. See mockup attached.

reFocus - Simply the best
Hey!!! this is simply awesome !! However, is it possible to enable Banner or Gallery view for episodes?? regards!
I love the new look you're working with. Can't wait for a release version!
Hi there,
I've been reading this thread for a while now, and I saw that you (Jeroen) still post stuff here and also are still developing reFocus. First I want to thank you for this awesome skin. I love how it is lightweight and still has numerous features. I was wondering though, was the last release of reFocus really 1 1/2 years ago? Seems to be a long time, or am I not getting this right?

Well, I am currently using Frodo and somehow reFocus 0.9.5 seems to be deactivated by the system. Are you aware of this? Can we expect an update for Frodo any time soon?

Also, I love how many themes use the FanArt to give an immersive feeling to your media centers and movie choosing experience. Have you thought about adding something like an "immersive switch" Wink I would work this way: the standard would be the current look, with all the blue. Turned on, the switch would change the look so that FanArt get's a more prominent place in your theme. For example when in grid mode, this would make the background be a darkened version of the FanArt of the movie instead of the blueish overlay over the FanArt.

I'd love to hear about your intentions and plans feature- and lookwise. To be honest, this is the only theme, that feels like it's made for normal people instead of geeks Wink I'm using reFocus BIG just because I can alter the transparency of the background overlays, but your original is way faster, more focused and consistent, so I'd love to switch back as soon as possible, when it's working again.

Hope you'll find the time to answer. Jonathan
I agree with Galefury that the submenus need a bit of indenting and possibly slight seperation from the main menu area in order to be easily identifiable as a sub menu. (Even just the text within the sub menu lines being indented a bit without the column pushing out the right at all would make it more obvious)

Other than that this new design looks great. Due to your reduced development on ReFocus, and the issues around the fanart on the home screen being a bit painful at the moment in Frodo, I tried a host of other skins to see if any of the others would fulfill the clean look with nice fanart on screens that yours does along with ease of use and the ability to pare down the menu options to just what the family use.

Yours is still the only one that fits these needs... and so I'm back to using ReFocus Big for now until your new version comes out.

The new look is great, looking forward to it Smile
Really hoping for a frodo compatible reFocus from you Jeroen! reFocus BIG is way too....big. It constantly crashes and has audio drop outs when using air play. It's a mess really.

Edit:
Just found out that reFocus is compatible with Frodo 12.2, downoad the project from here as a zip:
https://github.com/jeroenpardon/skin.refocus

Install add-on using zip-file.

There should be a way of showing the unwatched icons. Try the suggestion in below post
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid967191

Edit2: Above post does not seem to work. There is no folder or file called TexturePacker on my ubuntu machine.

Edit3:

Alright, I made the textures with the TexturePacker in Windows, and then placing the file Textures.xbt in the media folder inside the skinfolder.
Example of where to put it in ubuntu:
Code:
/home/username/.xbmc/addons/skin.refocus-master/media

After you've placed the file in the correct place it should automatically load it and you should be able to see the unwatched indicators. If it doesn't work, try restarting XBMC. If it still doesn't work you might have placed the Textures.xbt file in the wrong location. I've tested the Texture.xbt file on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.04

I tried to find a tutorial on how to install TexturePacker on linux, but the debian package didn't work.
If you don't own a windows machine feel free to download my Textures.xbt here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0l7olb1cypo4iee/Textures.xbt
Send me a PM if the link doesn't work.
  • 173(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated)14