XBMC Website DNS Issues
Hello,

Since yesterday I'm having issues resolving forum.xbmc.org http://www.xbmc.org etc.
This is from my broadband provider Tiscali(Talktalk) in the uk.

I run other networks as my job and they are fine.

I just wondered if something changed recently?

Reverse lookup of 205.251.128.242 resolves fine to xbmc.org but trying to resolve xbmc.org fails direct to their dns servers.

If someone could let me know if there are any recent changes before I start yelling at them to get it sorted.
Don't worry is my awful ISP's DNS system.

They cover a large amount of the UK though so other users may be experiencing problems.

For some reason there dns won't respond to a couple of names xbmc's being one of them.

Dumped them in favour of google dns. I am not going to look back.
Have you told your ISP about the issue? Please yell at them on our behalf Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yea, unfortunately seems there's not much we can do.

If you can't reach http://205.251.128.242 , please let us know. Otherwise, my only suggestion is to use something like opendns and yell at your isp.

edit: Btw, no recent changes on our end.

TheUni
Yea I jumped through their 50 hoops to get forum posting access last night.
There websites so bad they forced users to enter security questions in caps rather than doing noncase senstive comparisons on the backend....

It's here if you want to follow it:

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/forums/showthr...ost2343146

Sadely when using a faulty dns the webpage does not render very well / if at all when accessing by ip.
Their dns server does not return unknown just times out which lead me to believe at first it was a site error.
Anyone with probem dns resolver can use google puplic dns servers

Regards
Hans
linuxluemmel Wrote:Anyone with probem dns resolver can use google puplic dns servers

Regards
Hans

I had the same problem with UKOnline (Easynet) and I did some tests that proved that their DNS servers had no entry for xbmc.org, despite it being there 2 days earlier. Their recommendation was to use Google's public DNS instead of theirs, but it would be worth asking why so many ISP's DNS dropped xbmc.org at the same time.
Problems here with Virgin broadband. I have to F5 a few times to get it going again
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
keybaud Wrote:I had the same problem with UKOnline (Easynet) and I did some tests that proved that their DNS servers had no entry for xbmc.org, despite it being there 2 days earlier. Their recommendation was to use Google's public DNS instead of theirs, but it would be worth asking why so many ISP's DNS dropped xbmc.org at the same time.

Exactly. Seems suspicious. Also problems here in Denmark, with TDC (the largest ISP in Denmark). Problem started about 2 weeks ago. Somtimes their DNS can resovle xbmc.org but a few moment later, it's gone for hours again.
Maybe if xbmc.org's authoritative NS' gives bogus reply's sometimes, maybe it's cached by negative TTL? Just a guess...
CoreELEC 19.3
LG OLED CX 65 - Yamaha RX-V775 . Dali Opticon 6.
@ theuni

I noticed you asked for some dig outputs on another post regarding this....

On talktalk's dns (ID mismatch ??! Perhaps here lies the problem):

dig xbmc.org
;; Warning: ID mismatch: expected ID 45021, got 7876
;; Warning: ID mismatch: expected ID 45021, got 33271

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> xbmc.org
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 45021
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;xbmc.org. IN A

;; Query time: 379 msec
;; SERVER: 212.139.132.10#53(212.139.132.10)
;; WHEN: Mon Jun 21 13:59:21 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 26

On Google's DNS:

dig xbmc.org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> xbmc.org
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56506
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;xbmc.org. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
xbmc.org. 2072 IN A 205.251.128.242

;; Query time: 40 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Mon Jun 21 14:00:42 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 42
Some problems with Sky Broadband (EasyNet) UK Too.

Seems to be alright now. Though DNS resolving still seems a bit on the slow side. Using Google DNS and its fine now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Website DNS Issues0