ZOTAC ND-11 XBMC Live Install to HDD error
First off, hello everyone. This is my first post to this forum and over the last couple of weeks I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts and learning tons about XBMC. I am very excited to get this up and running.

So as for my problem. I just received my ZOTAC Z-BOX ND11 today and was excited to get XBMC installed. I downloaded the 9.11 XBMC Live ISO and install to a USB drive using unetbootin (which may posts have recommended).

After install the USB in the ZOTAC and continuing the BIOS to the correct boot piority I gave XBMC a test drive by running the Live version. Great so far...

So I then decided to install XBMC to a 120GB HDD I installed as well. The install start the same as all posts indicated expect one the language and region was select the next screen indicates

"!! Detect and mount CD-ROM"

"The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation. Please insert a suitable CD to continue with the installation."

Problem is I XMBC live to a USB and there is no CD-ROM connected to ZOTAC. After selecting to continue I am left with a menu to try and configure the CD-ROM or exit the install.

So as it stands I can not get XMBC Live to install to the HDD and I can not find a post with a similar problem..

Please help am I missing something

Thanks in advance,
Hmm, I don't remember anything about a CD-ROM message like what you're seeing. Did it not even make it to the point where you decide which partition to install to?

My guess would be that you have an error on your XBMC Live image. When the error message refers to a CD-ROM, it must be referring to the image you put on the USB drive (which is nominally run from a CD).

I would try to redo the image using unetbootin, or perhaps with a different USB drive if you have one handy. Something might have just gotten corrupted when you created it.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried 2 USB drives and tried to reload with unetbootin twice. I have tried different USB ports on ZOTAC Huh?

I will admit I have not tried to download and version of XBMC Live 9.11 but the file size seemed to be same as other versions out on the net.

And to answer your question, the install did not get to the partitioning dialog. The error occurred right after selecting region. You can see the install scanning for the keyboard then the no cd-rom detect error
I have a couple of Zotac boxes in test and I tried a few different scenarios.

A Zotac box, 2 GB of DDR2 and a 4GB flash drive is all I need to get it to work.

Boot from a external usb connected cdrom, the xbmc live CD, and install the software with the flash drive as destination drive. It takes longer to install but you gain in silence and manageability. Just install a fresh flash drive if you want to try and test something else.

As the current 9.11 Live CD does not have the required alsa driver version to feed audio over HDMI on a ION2, I actually started over with an ubuntu 10.04, adding and updating a bunch of stuff and then installing xbmc.

Can't wait to test an updated xbmc based on the 10.04 code base.

The instructions on getting HDMI audio from the Zotac from the Zotac company blog are wrong and the instructions on http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotac...han-ion1/5 are also out of date.

I got my latest Zotac for 209 euro, so the prices are falling again.
So for those of us WITHOUT a external cdrom drive .. there is no work around to install XBMCLive on our machines from a usbdrive ?

I have a Zotac MAG with the older N330

I read in another post that people had to put "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" into their syslinux.conf for the REVO to install .. mine has this and still no luck getting past that stupid mount CDROM screen
pletopia Wrote:So for those of us WITHOUT a external cdrom drive .. there is no work around to install XBMCLive on our machines from a usbdrive ?

I have a Zotac MAG with the older N330

I read in another post that people had to put "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" into their syslinux.conf for the REVO to install .. mine has this and still no luck getting past that stupid mount CDROM screen

I've heard that the latest (471?) version of unetbootin fixes this issue.

If that doesn't work these instructions are supposed to address it as well.
yeah .. i just saw that there is a new uibootin then what i have .. i downloaded it 2 mins ago .. gonna try it again

EDIT:

Nope .. no luck
i used unetbootin-windows-471 .. and xbmc-9.11-live-repack.iso with no dice

i even tried to run it without "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" cause i noticed that the Ubuntu 10.4 LiveCD doesn't have that parameter
If you willing to try Ubuntu instead of xbmc live, you could try the netinstall image. this is a minimal image (usualy for cd) wich loads the files directly from the ftp server.

64Bit Iso:
Code:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

i386
Code:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

Hope this helps Smile
cd /pub/ && cat Beer
Cant you just use another computer with a optical drive to install xbmc-live to a usb stick. Then boot from the usb on your htpc and select install.

cheers.
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ZOTAC ND-11 XBMC Live Install to HDD error1