[LIVE] Updating to latest SVN from clean install?
Any advice on this? Having a little trouble.

I've added these sources:
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
Although I'm not 100% sure which file they should go in or if they're the correct ones to be using.

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list

or

/etc/apt/sources.list

Or does it not matter?

---

After "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" I get this message:

Code:
The following packages have been kept back:
  xbmc-bin xbmc-data xbmc-live xbmc-skin-confluence xbmc-standalone
  xbmc-web-pm3

I've read about needing libass(?) but haven't managed to get that to install.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Smile
Thumbs Up 
I'm in the same boat with you. I am building a new machine as an "appliance" with the express idea of being able to give a clone of it as a gift or set one up for friends who aren't Linux savvy. I have a second machine that is running WELL with SVN code and love it. What most disappointed me about Live was that it doesn't have the new add-on structure to replace plug-ins. Sad

Now obviously this is simply because Live hasn't been updated as they haven't hit a milestone for yet I don't think. I looked hard at the XBMCFreaks stuff in particular this posting http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-ubuntu-repository/ which seems to talk about getitng updated code. Indeed after following those steps my video was broken. I fixed it with Fasteddy's posting fro mthis thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...dia+driver while the following poster in that thread had a point he offered no solution other than to mention some other ways of updating and Fasteddy's method worked for me Big Grin

I'm not "there" yet and I may be way off in the weeds but both myself and a friend are trying to get to more updated code on Karmic from Live. so far though nothing has bitched to me about being unable to update XBMC as you've found - my repo file is a different filename then yours though so it's possible yours is correct and I'm off in the weeds.

In any case since you seem to have broken dependencies because of missing packages I will offer a suggestion - that might also be wrong. When compiling the SVN code there's a huge number of packages needed, likely the ones you're missing I'd imagine or at least some of them. Here's the commandline I've used from the SVN Readme file that may get you past this:

Code:
sudo aptitude install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs

Please keep this thread updated on your progress and the steps you take to get there. I'm hoping to do something repeatable that doesn't require me to load minimal Ubuntu, compile form SVN, and lose out on various customizations we get from Live and other distros of that sort. <sigh> the add-on framework is a huge feature I'm very happy about and I want that if possible :p
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I think you can install all dependencies with sudo apt-get build-dep "package"
sudo apt-get remove xbmc*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-live

I'm a real noob at linux, but I got it to work. svn 31181 is on the ppa now, which is alot newer than the 28256 which was on there before.
Arrrrr.... This is driving me crazy....

This is what I've done so far:-

Installed the xbmcfreak911livev14 version to my hard drive.

Then tried the commands neil.j1983 posted to try and get to a later svn version.
Code:
sudo apt-get update

But as soon as I try the last line I get:-
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  xbmc: Depends: xbmc-data (= 1:10.08~svn31181-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 1:10.08~svn31181-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xbmc-web (= 1:10.08~svn31181-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
  xbmc-live: Depends: xbmc-standalone (= 1:10.08~svn31181-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Anyone know how to get this to work please.
roidy Wrote:Arrrrr.... This is driving me crazy....

This is what I've done so far:-

Installed the xbmcfreak911livev14 version to my hard drive.

Then tried the commands neil.j1983 posted to try and get to a later svn version.
Code:
sudo apt-get update

But as soon as I try the last line I get:-
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  xbmc: Depends: xbmc-data (= 1:10.08~svn31181-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 1:10.08~svn31181-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xbmc-web (= 1:10.08~svn31181-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
  xbmc-live: Depends: xbmc-standalone (= 1:10.08~svn31181-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Anyone know how to get this to work please.
Also getting this. Any advice neil.j1983?
Add the NVIDIA repository and it will install:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau
pennant Wrote:Add the NVIDIA repository and it will install:

Didn't work. Thanks though.
Thanks pennant that worked perfectly for me.
instead of the nvidia ppa you can also use the x-swat ppa

btw when updating to svn ppa and packages are being kept back or have dependency problems, try a dist-upgrade and make sure you purged all old xbmc remainings
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thumbs Up 
sudo apt-get update

It looked like the usplash stuff was getting yanked and afterward when I tried to reinstall I couldn't - I think the ppa for XBMC also gets pulled? I couldn't re-add the keyring. However I still have the splash stuff working albeit with a little glitch here and there. Suspend and reboot and whatnot don't seem to work for me but meh, no biggie! I finally have the add-on framework on my live machine - yay! I lost no user data doing this either which was nice very nice. I saw a few sub-directories it refused to delete and this is due to information still being in them - one of them probably userdata Big Grin

A friend tried this on his machine also running xbmcfreak114 and he got this:
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get remove xbmc*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package
Oo

If you wanted the x-swat ppa I think this would do it ->
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
and it appears to have to do with X components? Would this be for VDPAU stuff too Huh What's this for exactly?

Hannes, you have to realize that not everyone knows Linux well so it's helpful if you explain things rather than just dropping information.

Edit: Worth noting - I had already done an update and upgrade on my box previously. I blew up my NVIDIA video drivers doing it too! Fasteddy's post #6 got me fixed up. someone bitched about his method but offered no specific alternative and his instructions worked for me...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
@blkmgk: of course you have a point there, but I strongly believe in the power of google search when you give users the right keywords.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
the way to fix this is to purge xbmc 9.11 and then installing the svn ppa version, after sources have been added, the nvidia drivers, unless for lucid are fine using vdpau ppa.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Updating to latest SVN from clean install?0