XBMC and Windows Home Server
Any help is appreciated. I have XBMC on an Acer Revo nettop, and it is accessing all my movies & music over the network (SMB), stored on a 6TB HP Windows Home Server.

This works great, except that every time XBMC boots up, or after it sleeps, or sits for too long, it always prompts me to enter the username and password again. When my wife or guest is trying to play music, this can be annoying. Also, it prompts twice, once at the root folder ("Media") and then again at the sub-folder ("Music" or "Movies").

I have the default password already stored in XBMC, but I'm still getting prompted.

Is this an XBMC issue, or do I have to do something different to my windows home server account or folder security?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
You can set a default username and password, I believe it's in settings and network settings, if memory serves me.
If you enable the "Guest" account, WHS won't prompt for a username / password. See this Microsoft TechNet Article.

I worried about security with this, but my wireless network is locked down, so the gateway is there. This wouldn't be a solution if you want to restrict access on your network by user, but solves all sorts of problems for common media sharing.
hi,

i use the exact same just have an ASRocks ion 330 with Windows 7 running XBMC and accessing an self build Windows Home Server. Created an "Media" account and installed the windows home server connector on the xbmc box. i connected the smb shares within xbmc with this media user and xbmc does not ask every time for the password.

BG Christoph
Try creating a user account on your WHS that is identical to the username and password that you are using on your PC.

Win7 64-bit | AMD Athlon X2 4850e | 780G Chipset | 2 GB RAM | ATI Radeon 3200 | XBMC 10.0
Thanks for all the great replies!

I actually have XBMC installed on a SD card, and I boot the Acer to this SD card to start up XBMC. In the network settings, under SMB, I put in the default username/password for my WHS, and then it connects to my media shares without prompting, as it's supposed to.

What looks like is happening, is that periodically, when I "right-click" to go back in a menu, especially if movie or song is playing, XBMC cuts off, the screen goes black for a second, and then the main menu comes up. But now, all my settings are lost, including the SMB default username/password that I just put in.

This is why it keeps prompting me, it's losing the settings I keep putting in. Has anyone seen anything like this? Losing all settings when I right-click?

I have no idea if this is a skin issue? (PM3 skin), or an issue with having XBMC running off an SD card, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and Windows Home Server0