[all] make favorites groupable and browseable
hi all,

i assume a lot of people use the favorites feature available on the homescreen. personally i use it a lot. but unfortunately the favorite section is becoming a mess really fast in case one tends to bookmark a lot and various media. one has got music, videos, radio streams, pictures and so on in there. after a short time the favorites section is becoming really confusing as said above.
therefore it would be a great gradvantage to have the possibility to group favorites into logical sections and finally to be able to browse them. basically this would be like creating folders and putting the various favorites into these. i could imagine a way of browsing the favorites similar to how it's done in the apple finder (column view). since space is limited in the favorite section we could solve it as pointed out below:

1. opening favorites shows favorite groups
2. clicking on a favorite group navigates into the chosen group
2.1 the views change by sliding the favorites panel from left to right. maybe a fading animation would work, too.
3. while being into a a group it could be possible to navigate further down through subgroups
3.1 the user should get notified in which group he/she is currently sitting. maybe a panel on top of the favorite section could do that.
4. backwards navigation could be done by the classical ".." or by just pressing the left button/key.

that's it for now. what do you think about this idea?

best regards,
einhänder
I'd suggest that you'd need to alter the favourites dialog to something not dissimilar from the filebrowser dialog.

Managing favourites might be done via a virtual filesystem (vfs) and you could use the filemanager to "move" favourites into groups, create new folders (groups) etc. In fact, having favourites in a vfs would be quite nice as you could then grab it from anywhere.

A nice project for someone starting out at developing XBMC I think.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I liked the idea. I was starting to think I was the only one that was using favourites , because often if I try a new skin they misplace in my opinion favourites . However luckily not in the default skin.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[all] make favorites groupable and browseable0