Best way to backup DVDs in XBMC readable format?
What tool should I use and what format should I save my movies as? I want to put my DVDs on my Win7 XBMC box. I've been playing around with handbrake, but at high settings it takes too long. I'm not too worried about filespace, I don't mind just saving the whole thing as an .iso if necessary, or even coping over the directory structure of the DVD. If its possible, lossless compression would however be ideal.
I use Anydvd to remove protections/warnings/forced content and DVDShrink if I don't want menus (Anydvd if I do).
The MakeMKV tool will extract an uncompressed version of the DVD and store it in an mkv container, its quick and pretty painless to use.
I rip them as an uncompressed iso file. Takes more space but results in perfect picture quality.
Does saving with MakeMKV preserve menus? I assume saving as an uncompressed .iso would, but does XBMC handle those with menus and everything? (At work, so can't try it right now)

Also is there any such thing as lossless compression for DVDs? similar to FLAC for audio perhaps?
No.
Yes!
No.
No.

If you want menus, you should save the dvd as an .iso file, MakeMKV if you don't.
If I understand that correctly, .iso preserves the menus but xbmc can't play them? Is there a format that preserves menus and is handled by xbmc? Sounds like lossless video is still a great white buffalo ;-)
XBMC can handle iso format perfectly (menus, subtitle tracks, audio tracks... everything)
I just rip the discs with MacTheRipper, then use a little applescript to turn them into an ISO... XBMC picks them up perfect, menus and all, and if you add stacking extensions, then it will even stack them with a nice little which disc menu. Smile
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
Forgive my ignorance, but what are stacking extensions? Also MAC the ripper would be a no go for me. I only have linux and windows boxes. Still saving as .iso shouldn't present a challenge unless I have to do something special to decrypt them. I don't don I?
If you're on Windows, just use DVDDecypter... it will save the entire thing as an .ISO in one step.

If you have a multi-disc movie, put it in it's own folder, and add .cd1 - .cdx for what you need:

Awesome Movie\
awesomemovie.cd1.iso
awesomemovie.cd2.iso
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo

XBMC will generate the fanart and nfo it's self when you scrape it... Then you click on it from the library, a little popup will ask if you want disc 1 or 2...

I just use xvid/mkv files for most movies, but for the Criterion Collection I save the whole disc like that Smile
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
clock2113 Wrote:If you're on Windows, just use DVDDecypter... it will save the entire thing as an .ISO in one step.

I use DVDFab Decrypter with wine in linux.. it usually stays up-to-date with latest copy protection scams.
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

you could tweak this to rip to iso on your xbmc box... I'm not sure why but I have to run the batch file twice for it to rip.. but it works. I can still do other things while its ripping (watch other movies, play emulator, etc.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to backup DVDs in XBMC readable format?0