Motion interpolation / Frame interpolation near real-time on-the-fly video processing
24 fits perfectly in 120, so you'll be showing all the original frames, the rest will be interpolated.
If you interpolate 24 to 60, you'll show only half the original frames, and the rest of the frames are interpolated, that could potentially lead to more interpolation distortion.
There won't be any judder though.
bobo1on1 Wrote:24 fits perfectly in 120, so you'll be showing all the original frames, the rest will be interpolated.
If you interpolate 24 to 60, you'll show only half the original frames, and the rest of the frames are interpolated, that could potentially lead to more interpolation distortion.
There won't be any judder though.

120 does work with 24 perfectly, if I have display synced to video, otherwise it interpolates the 60hz video after the 24hz conversion, which results in judder.
Would be a nice feature but not necessary for most people
what do we do to get this added to xbmc. i've been using cyberlink's powerdvd to play back video in order to get interpolation. I want my XBMC back.

But it needs to do interpolation.

crap or not - wheres the code!
CopyCounsler Wrote:what do we do to get this added to xbmc. i've been using cyberlink's powerdvd to play back video in order to get interpolation. I want my XBMC back.

But it needs to do interpolation.

crap or not - wheres the code!

Code it and submit. Big Grin
This is already possible if you're using Windows and the DSPlayer branch. Just use FFDShow plus one of the many AVISynth scripts available.
maruchan Wrote:This is already possible if you're using Windows and the DSPlayer branch. Just use FFDShow plus one of the many AVISynth scripts available.

Thank you, I've been exploring and trying to get this to work for a while now. I have media player classic playing the avisynth script properly at 60fps but I cannot get the dsplayer branched version to use ffdshow. My indicatino that it is not using it is the lack of tray icons for FFDshow based "decrypting"

Any ideas how to proceed? I'm really excited to get this working so I can share it with all the other people I know with projectors using XBMC!

thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!
Motion interpolation in XBMC... AWESOME!

I'm looking for the same thing. When you're using a computer, which is powerful and flexible enough to allow you this, instead of a stupid DVD/BluRay-player which won't, why not?

I didn't know about PowerDVDs feature, guess I'll have to try this.

What's the status of getting something like this for XBMC? It would be great to only have this on XBMC, so that you don't have to use f.ex. Digital Natural Motion (Philips) which has to be turned off while playing games on the same computer.
I would really like this feature!

I haven't tested this yet - but I want to test this on my HTPC. I guess PowerDVD 10 is an option. I've heard that PowerDVD now plays MKV, and supports motion interpolation.

You can always edit XBMC to open the movies in PowerDVD, but of course that is not a fix, it's a workaround.

I can't wait to see a feature like this for my setup. I'm planning to buy a TV with this feature in the future, but right now I just want it on XBMC. My 3 year old philips only does Digital Natural Motion on analog signals, and I love it, but I'm currently only using HDMI.
CopyCounsler Wrote:thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Here is the guide I used when I tried it:

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-enable...files/329/

Works with DS Player build. I think it worked pretty good- better than many TVs I have seen.

One note though- you need serious CPU power. Like my Q6600 Core2Quad was too weak. Honestly I think an i5 is the minimum if you want this- forget even trying on regular dual core systems.

NorDemoniac Wrote:I've heard that PowerDVD now plays MKV, and supports motion interpolation.

PowerDVD's interpolation outright sucks. Tons of artifacts. What DS Player offers is better.

I have a i3-530 CPU and a MSI N460GTX Hawk graphics card.
I was hoping this was sufficient, especially the graphics card. If XBMC should support this, the GPU would be the best option. I guess the ION2-users would like to utilize the GPU, instead of killing their Atom.

So if we sum it up - there is really not an easy way to do this, without having at least 4 cores?

Btw. PowerDVD did it on a Asus UL30A with 1,3 GHZ and 2 cores.

Isn't there any codecs or mods for XBMC that can be used?
NorDemoniac Wrote:Isn't there any codecs or mods for XBMC that can be used?

Nope. All the GPU based interpolation software implementations on the market are closed source. Outside of launching software like PowerDVD as an external player there is no way to leverage those technologies in open source XBMC.

A huge part of the issue is that interpolation is a crowd pleaser, but is often shunned by videophiles. Read any review of modern TVs and they will tell you to turn those features down or off- on the AVS forum the "soap opera effect" (as interpolation is commonly called) is held in the same regard as cancer.

Therefore the high-end coders that make FFMPEG don't care one bit about interpolation, and therefore XBMC doesn't support it. And I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon for reasons above.

I did read once that the Plex's team is working on Interpolation to fix the issue OSX has with 24p, but honestly that was before they were bought by LG- now the emphasis seems to be on embedded devices.

Honestly though, I like the idea of interpolation personally and I have dreamed of the day that it was well done. I have tried GPU based interpolation techniques (PowerDVD, CrystalPlayer, etc.) and quite frankly they suck. Tons of artifacts.

The open source Avisynth is a little better, if only because you can turn down the interpolation effects with the proper script.

Honestly though, the best interpolation techniques belong to the TV and projector makers. For example what I see on new Sony TVs beats every software solution in the market. The simple answer is if you are a person that likes interpolation buy a TV that does it well.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Here is the guide I used when I tried it:

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-enable...files/329/

Works with DS Player build. I think it worked pretty good- better than many TVs I have seen.

Used a similar guide to that to achieve the same results.

I now have it working in media player classic -- it looks great. I have a problem getting it to use the avisynth and ffdshow in the DSPLAYER build of xbmc -- it doesn't seem to use it at all . Probably missing a setting perhaps?

Thanks in advance to all that help once again!
Did you check the avisynth box is ffdshow? I know that is a simple question but it was the magic I needed back when I had this setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Motion interpolation / Frame interpolation near real-time on-the-fly video processing0