XBMC crashing/hanging when accessing SMB music share
Hi all,

When accessing a certain directory on my NAS containing music, XBMC consistently locks up or crashes. This occurs on Windows 7 and XBMC Live installed to HDD. On Windows 7 it just hangs, and on XBMC Live I get dumped out to a text console, where I can log in and see that a core dump file has been generated, along with an xbmc crash log (I have a debug log at debug level 3 if that will help anyone).

Strange thing is I can access the very same directory via the File manager in the Switch media option and have tunes play from there perfectly fine. I can also point to another subdirectory of the main music directory and see the files in there.

When I do get it working by pointing to another subdirectory, XBMC seems to take ages to load the directory list - just seems to hang for a few seconds before the list appears. Browsing via the File manager is nice and fast though, but when going through the Music menu on the main screen, it's pretty painful Sad

I never experienced these problems with XBMC on Xbox and I can access these shares via other PCs with SMB no problem.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or can help me out?
Just post the log and the crashlog to pastebin. No point trying to guess at stuff when the logs will tell us (and you) exactly what the issue is.

I'm betting you have some files in there that the background info extractors are struggling with.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi Jonathan,

XBMC crash log:
http://www.pastebin.org/361784

XBMC debug log:
http://www.pastebin.org/361785

There's nothing in there that stands out as being obviously wrong to me. Is there any way of making the file handling behaviour act like it does in File manager via advancedsettings.xml, or to disable these background info extractors somehow?

Thanks
Try moving that last .rar file out of the way - does it get past it to something else? You could similar try turning off transparent archives.

If so, what's in that .rar?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Interesting - there seems to be a problem handling umlaut characters (such as ü) in filenames when browsing directories via the main menus.

Strangely, browsing via File Manager has no such issues - I can browse into those .rar files and see the contents just fine, and umlauts seem to be handled properly. It seems much quicker to get directory listings too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing/hanging when accessing SMB music share0