Acer eMachines ER1402
I am one the few lucky people to grab one of these this morning when Ebuyer had them on for £99.

I'll be sticking it in my bedroom and installing XBMCLive on it.

Bargain, I think!
Tyler Durden Wrote:I am one the few lucky people to grab one of these this morning when Ebuyer had them on for £99.

I'll be sticking it in my bedroom and installing XBMCLive on it.

Bargain, I think!

nice bargain!!
Please report/inform on the performance ... especially on HD movies!
I am intrested in that as well but i did not see them at that nice price ... Shocked

_krijeck
rebuilding ....
I will do, but after reading the rest of this thread I am not expecting any issues.
Tyler Durden Wrote:I will do, but after reading the rest of this thread I am not expecting any issues.

oh .... funnily I tought your one was the first post in that thread?!? Confused
just seen that there are quite a lot of posts already ... sorry ... need to read also the other posts ... Blush
rebuilding ....
Any more feedback from people owning one of these? So far I've read one report which says large 30GB 1080p MKVs stutter, and others saying normal sized 720p and 1080p are flawless...
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
No feedback yet - mine's still in it's box as it's for a secondary, bedroom setup and I'm still working on my main box.

For anybody in the UK though, Ebuyer have the same £99 deal again on Monday morning at 11am! http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/emachine...am/933438? Big Grin
They also offer a cheap-as-chips warranty extension for it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/264803

As this is an Acer built machine I think I'll be taking advantage of that cheap warranty price, just in case.
managed to luckily grab one this morning and already planning my installation.
It's going to be for media playback and to replace the xbox streaming i do at the moment.
What's the best way to install the XBMC? I have already setup my XBMClive USB ready! (too excited)
Also brough some powerline adapters so that im not doing any streaming wirelessly. At the moment i have a PC which i intend to use as a secondary storage location for the content. How would i drop the video files onto the Er1402 once i have installed xbmclive?
Looks like a few of us had the same idea I grabbed one for £99 as well. Going to put it upstairs but I’m not sure about connecting to the NAS drive at the moment.
Alright guys, I'm really um'n and r'n over this. I actually order the ER1401 after missing out on this one. First, is there a reason the model number is lower despite appearing a higher spec and the same mobo?

I currently have a A-110 in the main room and would like like something a bit better than the xbox 360 in the bedroom. I've been really tempted with xbmc for a while but I need to have a setup that is as simple for the Mrs. as possible and contemplating just getting the A-210 for the main room and move the 110 to the bedroom. The ER1401 is gunna cost me £200 and I'm guessing that's about the same as a A-210 would set me back.

Though it would be nice to have the funtionality of a PC when need be it's not what the purchase is for, it's for media streaming from a NAS and that's it. Anyone have any idea over which would be smoother in jukebox browsing? Is there really any advantages to getting the emachine and xbmc? Cause the A210 is built with one thing in mind I can use it part of the Harmony remote setup and thinking it will be easier for the family.

What you guys think? Cheers
Grabbed one myself this morning but still undecided as to which OS to use for XBMC.
I got one the first time round for £99. Here are my experiences.

Got it setup as follows:

- Windows 7 32 bit ultimate
- XBMC 10.1
- AEON MQ2
- Iplayer plugin
- Icefilms plugin
- Maplin MCE remote

I originally tried to use openelec but it wouldn't boot from the usb stick so gave up on that. Tried XBMC Live, but would have to manually configure wireless on ubuntu so didnt carry on with that either (thou now it's on the LAN so could try this).

Performance is good for HD content. I can quite happily play a 720p or 1080p MKV over the LAN.

Only thing that bothers me at the moment is the speed of the menus. I'm not sure whether this is just a AEON thing or the small amount of processing power of the nettop, but the menus with cover art are quite slow to cycle through. Is there a way to fix this?

Overally, I'm very happy. I definite bargain for £99. In fact, since I bought it I have sold my PCH A110 and Apple TV2 (with xbmc). Smile

Let me know if you have any questions...
damitamit, I know you say the menus are a bit clunky. But are they as clunky as they are on the Apple TV2? I love XBMC and the ATV2's tiny size - and silent operation - but it does groan a bit scrolling through covers on even basic skins. Is the eMachines quicker?
I sent mine up yesterday the menus take a few seconds to switch the art around sometime and every now and then I get a little delay switching from a submenu back to home. Apart from that it all seems good
The wireless was a complete sod to setup but I got there in the end.
discmeister Wrote:damitamit, I know you say the menus are a bit clunky. But are they as clunky as they are on the Apple TV2? I love XBMC and the ATV2's tiny size - and silent operation - but it does groan a bit scrolling through covers on even basic skins. Is the eMachines quicker?

I didnt have Aeon installed when using the ATV2 so can't compare. I would assume however that the emachines is quicker than the ATV2 generally.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer eMachines ER14020