Acer eMachines ER1402
Mine arrived this morning and install XBMClive easily enough. Done it twice so that i could set up an internet connection to get the skins and addons i want.

Frustrating at the moment with sound working well background sound with no speech, struggling to sort this any help would be good!
Just got one of these er1402 just debating weather to install ubuntu or the live version onto the HDD
whats the nosie level of the fans like? I.E. is it like revo, worse or better or about ther sameHuh
How easyily can I install windows 7 on this without a usb dvd drive? Big Grin
mkr2204 Wrote:How easyily can I install windows 7 on this without a usb dvd drive? Big Grin

easyily if you have a flash drive setup to install win7..
well I can go buy a USB stick easy enough i guess, What would be required other than a windows 7 iso that I already have?
Question 
Just got an ER1401 and stuggling like CRAZY to get the wireless working on an XBMC Live install on the hdd. It just doesnt seem to install the driver for the Ralink WIC. Can anyone who has been successful in doing this PLEASE write me up a guide on how to do it.

Normal ubuntu install sets it up automatically and it works great. Just wish XBMC Live did the same....Huh
damitamit Wrote:I got one the first time round for £99. Here are my experiences.

Got it setup as follows:

- Windows 7 32 bit ultimate
- XBMC 10.1
- AEON MQ2
- Iplayer plugin
- Icefilms plugin
- Maplin MCE remote

I originally tried to use openelec but it wouldn't boot from the usb stick so gave up on that. Tried XBMC Live, but would have to manually configure wireless on ubuntu so didnt carry on with that either (thou now it's on the LAN so could try this).

Performance is good for HD content. I can quite happily play a 720p or 1080p MKV over the LAN.

Only thing that bothers me at the moment is the speed of the menus. I'm not sure whether this is just a AEON thing or the small amount of processing power of the nettop, but the menus with cover art are quite slow to cycle through. Is there a way to fix this?

Overally, I'm very happy. I definite bargain for £99. In fact, since I bought it I have sold my PCH A110 and Apple TV2 (with xbmc). Smile

Let me know if you have any questions...

fyi aeon mq2 is like one of the heaviest skins so really not surprised. my dad's 2007 macbook chokes on that skin.
jasonmav Wrote:Just got an ER1401 and stuggling like CRAZY to get the wireless working on an XBMC Live install on the hdd. It just doesnt seem to install the driver for the Ralink WIC. Can anyone who has been successful in doing this PLEASE write me up a guide on how to do it.

Normal ubuntu install sets it up automatically and it works great. Just wish XBMC Live did the same....Huh

Hi Jason, I have a ER1401 and used the OpenElec Version of XMBC. The version I've used is OpenELEC-Generic.i386-devel-20110801-r7615. No issues with wireless, 1080 playback, audio.

Hope this helps.
Thanks coleborn. I just upgraded my av receiver / speakers so had alot of wiring around my living room to do so just added another ethernet cable to the mix into my emachine. So dont really need the wireless. Maybe on next software install I will try the OpenELEC version. Thanks alot Smile
I got an ER1401. Can someone please help me?

I've installed windows 7. Menus were way too clunky to go through and playback jittered on 480p files.

Ubuntu was nearly perfect except for no sound. XBMC Live had no wifi support I think due to missing drivers (same with OPENElec).

Any help on either the windows 7 or the ubuntu install would be much appreciated.
by the way guys, AEON MQ3 beta is released!

MQ2 weighted 185MB while MQ3 is now 47MB!

its a complete re-write of the skin from scratch!!

its now super fast and un-bloadted!
eskro Wrote:by the way guys, AEON MQ3 beta is released!

MQ2 weighted 185MB while MQ3 is now 47MB!

its a complete re-write of the skin from scratch!!

its now super fast and un-bloadted!

would this work on the current verison of openelec?
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
AEON MQ3 is made for xbmc pre-eden,,,,

is there a openelec version using pre-eden??
hi guys, what are the average temps for you?

I've just got a er1401 and in the bios it states 47-52c temp for cpu, I've only just switched it on too! Is this normal?

thx.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer eMachines ER14020