new addon system etc
Ok, so i can't be the only one who uses xbmc regularly but doesn't necessarily frequent the forums or indeed read the xbmc.org news. so last time i did an apt-get upgrade it pulled down the newest version of xbmc. its only when i used it later that day that i realised something was amiss, as my plugins, scripts and skins no longer work. i grabbed the SVN for the skin i use, but everything else is still a little murky in my mind.

where is all this new addon information documented? i can only seem to find little scraps of information dotted around the forums. have many plugins and scripts been updated to the new system? how do i add the addon repos, or is what is in xbmc right now the only available stuff (and the repos get added in further updates or populated as time goes on)?
This is a perfect example why team xbmc discourages svn for users, addons is still a work in progress and intended for developers. Please revert to stable.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
i meant i got the skin from [url=http://xboxmediacenter.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xboxmediacenter/Xperience/
]their SVN[/url]. my xbmc is installed as per the standard user's instructions, ie, these ones here, installed on an ubuntu 10.04 minimal install.

if my version of xbmc is meant only for developers, then why is it the standard way to install and update on ubuntu?

where is all the information on this change documented? all i can gleam from the wiki is the spec for the addon interface (that is, how to build addons)
we're so busy answering all these damn posts about our WIP not having all the add-ons, we don't have any time to finish it up.
perhaps someone should just sticky the information somewhere, even if it's brief. then users wouldn't waste their time and yours.
aeiah Wrote:perhaps someone should just sticky the information somewhere, even if it's brief. then users wouldn't waste their time and yours.

It is posted in multiple areas. As mentioned above this is the primary reason users are not recommended to run svn builds. SVN builds are development builds. They include wip, features that may or may not work, or potentially could be broken plain and simple. If you can't live with builds that may be in somewhat of a flux, then you should only use stable releases. However, the upside to development builds is you get to try new features before they are officially supported.

Revert to stable release and you want have any problems. Stay on svn builds and they will improve as we approach the new stable release. The choice is yours as they say.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new addon system etc0