• 8(current)
[MOD] Custom Home Items the easy way
This mod works well for me except it kind of messed up the confluence home screen:

Any idea why the dark border area is gone?

Windows 7
May 30th 2011 nightly (pre-eden)
Ok nevermind...

I just re-installed the nightly and I can see why this mod no longer works!

They have redesigned the confluence home screen, and it's freaking great!

I can still see a use for this addon, but definitely the new home screen makes accessing custom video addons much easier.
vinistois Wrote:Ok nevermind...

I just re-installed the nightly and I can see why this mod no longer works!

They have redesigned the confluence home screen, and it's freaking great!

I can still see a use for this addon, but definitely the new home screen makes accessing custom video addons much easier.

Smile
vinistois Wrote:This mod works well for me except it kind of messed up the confluence home screen:

Any idea why the dark border area is gone?

Windows 7
May 30th 2011 nightly (pre-eden)

Same here. Anyone know how to make this work with the nightly builds?
hiimcliff Wrote:Same here. Anyone know how to make this work with the nightly builds?

The nightly builds have a redesigned home page, so this mod won't work until a new version of it is made.

Personally I think custom home menu items (and sub-menu items) should be integrated into the skin.

The way the home page looks now (without this mod installed) looks and works very well. My wife even commented on how much easier it is now to get to the video addons. The way they pop up automatically with their logos is very intuitive.
vinistois Wrote:The nightly builds have a redesigned home page, so this mod won't work until a new version of it is made.

Personally I think custom home menu items (and sub-menu items) should be integrated into the skin.

The way the home page looks now (without this mod installed) looks and works very well. My wife even commented on how much easier it is now to get to the video addons. The way they pop up automatically with their logos is very intuitive.

i think they should add it into the skin also. i want to create a separate heading for my home videos, my daughters cartoon shows, and one for my exercise videos.
yeah, the devs are reluctant to do so, and I'm certain they have their reasons. They want to keep this default skin as easy as possible.

Still, I think it would be quite easy and straightforward from a user point of view. The many skins that DO offer this feature are super easy to use and set up.

I think the best way to do it is offer 'custom favorites', so we can add anything in our list of favorites to the home menu, or into any sub-menu.
vinistois Wrote:yeah, the devs are reluctant to do so, and I'm certain they have their reasons. They want to keep this default skin as easy as possible.

Still, I think it would be quite easy and straightforward from a user point of view. The many skins that DO offer this feature are super easy to use and set up.

I think the best way to do it is offer 'custom favorites', so we can add anything in our list of favorites to the home menu, or into any sub-menu.

is there any way to do custom favorites in the nightly build?
I also had the issue of the background not showing up and found an error with the links to the custom.jpg.

Assuming you placed the new custom.jpg file in the backgrounds folder with the rest of the skin backgrounds, then change the following code in Home.xml:

Quote:special://skin/media/backgrounds/custom.jpg

to

Quote:special://skin/backgrounds/custom.jpg

Worked perfectly afterwards without having to manually point to a new image in the settings.

For what it's worth, I'm on Apple TV 2, but I would think the folder structures here were consistent across platforms.
Thumbs Up 
NickSoapdish Wrote:When I am in the Skin Settings - Custom Home, I can set a label and have the label appear on the home screen, but when I try to Set Favorite, the side menu pops up but it is empty.

Hello !
I have been fighting with this one for hours and I found the solution.

In fact, I had an installation of HOMEMOD using a favourites script installation in my folders, and this previous install was used instead of the new script install 1.0.6.

The HOMEMOD was using this path to find the favourites and display them
C:\Program Files\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\scripts\script.favourites
This path is easy to see when editing the file custom_DialogFavourites.xml of the HOMEMOD.
Just copy your script.favourites in the location, in my case I was ok with
C:\Program Files\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\scripts

Check finally that in the C:\Program Files\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\scripts\script.favourites\default.py, you are pointing to the correct favourites file, should be 'C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/favourites.xml' under Windows 7.
Why should be this file? Because the last script.favourites-1.0.6 is using this file.

Hope it helps others.
V.
vinc525 Wrote:Hello !
I have been fighting with this one for hours and I found the solution.

In fact, I had an installation of HOMEMOD using a favourites script installation in my folders, and this previous install was used instead of the new script install 1.0.6.

The HOMEMOD was using this path to find the favourites and display them
C:\Program Files\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\scripts\script.favourites
This path is easy to see when editing the file custom_DialogFavourites.xml of the HOMEMOD.
Just copy your script.favourites in the location, in my case I was ok with
C:\Program Files\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\scripts

Check finally that in the C:\Program Files\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\scripts\script.favourites\default.py, you are pointing to the correct favourites file, should be 'C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/favourites.xml' under Windows 7.
Why should be this file? Because the last script.favourites-1.0.6 is using this file.

Hope it helps others.
V.

I have also been fighting with this issue for the last few hours. I am running Win7 with the PVR build of XBMC. (10-03-2011) The only thing I will add is that you cannot use the paths described above. For me I had to use:

File: "custom_DialogFavourites.xml"
Code:
special://skin/scripts/script.favourites/default.py

Which for me pointed to:
C:\Programs\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\scripts\script.favourites

AND

File: "default.py"
Code:
special://home/userdata/favourites.xml

Which for me pointed to:
C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata

The only problem I have is that the favourites.xml is NOT in this folder and I don't know how to generate it. Currently the script aborts because (surprise surprise) the file isn't there. Oh well it is better than a blank screen.

Any ideas about what to do for "favourites.xml"Huh

- Jeff
Maybe someone who has this working can be extra nice and post their "favourites.xml" to this thread? (hint hint) Or maybe update the package with an example?

I have seriously followed each step to the letter and still this file is not present, and as far as I can tell there is nowhere on this thread that explains where it comes from.

:confused2:
sparafucile17 Wrote:Maybe someone who has this working can be extra nice and post their "favourites.xml" to this thread? (hint hint) Or maybe update the package with an example?

I have seriously followed each step to the letter and still this file is not present, and as far as I can tell there is nowhere on this thread that explains where it comes from.

:confused2:

It's in the download package in the scripts folder.

STEPS
1. Only for Dharma
2. Download
3. Unzip
4. Copy/Paste into Confluence folder
5. Say 'Yes' to "Do you want to overwrite"
6. Profit

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
mcborzu Wrote:It's in the download package in the scripts folder.

STEPS
1. Only for Dharma
2. Download
3. Unzip
4. Copy/Paste into Confluence folder
5. Say 'Yes' to "Do you want to overwrite"
6. Profit

mcborzu,

The link on the first post does not have a favourites.xml file anywhere in the zip file. If you re-open the package, you will find:

scripts\script.favourites\addon.xml
scripts\script.favourites\default.py
scripts\script.favourites\icon.png
scripts\script.favourites\LICENSE.TXT

If I follow the steps that you listed, the python script still tries to open the file "favourites.xml" which is no where to be found. Is it possible that the link is out-of-date or that the favourites.xml file did not make it to the zip file?

Thanks,
Jeff
Someone please post their favourites.xml so that people like myslef can duplicate it on our PC if it is missing.

Sad
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOD] Custom Home Items the easy way1