Logitach Harmony lag?
I have a harmony 555 with lag. It isn't noticeable for a single button press, but it certainly is at other times.

Best way to see it is to bring up a context menu on a movie/episode and press down 20 times quickly, then after the first 5 presses have registered, put your hand over the top of the remote so that it blocks the transmission. You can clearly see that it is not an issue with the IR reciever being slow, because the Harmony continues to flash two or three times a second with each new command sent. Take your hand away again and the button presses register again.

It makes no difference if the inter-key delay is set to 0 or 500ms.
Well wouldn't you know it... I tried my remote on other devices (PVR, Blu-ray player) and quickly issued a succession of button presses. Apparently the inter-key delay on everything is delayed by around 250ms. I guess I've gotten so used to it, I stopped noticing.

I wonder if there's some global setting for the Harmony remotes that might speed this up.
Numus Wrote:just paused, play, menu and everything on my 880 that i use with my bedroom xbox... instant i hit the key the function is done.. see 0 delay

Usually the delay is seen when you do multiple keypresses i.e ) press down 20 times, when you stop pressing down you will see the delay. This does not happen in a regular remote.

I talked to Logitech support and they agreed that there is a delay, and that it will never be as fast as the official remote because of hte post processing they have to do after each button press. You can of course decrease the delay by fine-tuning the settings but it will never be the same as the real remote.

They did recommend not pressing down 20 times, and instead hold down instead that seems to work better.

Either way there is a lag, but I can live with it. The Harmony One is a great remote regardless of that.
johoja Wrote:They did recommend not pressing down 20 times, and instead hold down instead that seems to work better.
LOL. Problem solved then ^^.
Kodi 17.0 Krypton, Win10 running on an ASRock ION 330HT HTPC
lotune Wrote:I have a Harmony One and there is a delay across all devices, yes. I think how noticeable it is depends on what type of device you use it for and how observant of details you are.

That said, I haven't lowered my timings and repeats for most my devices - which may or may not help - as they don't need to be navigated that much or quickly anyway. I haven't had the remote for very long though, so maybe I'll do that if it becomes a bigger annoyance as time passes.

StarChild Wrote:I have a Logitech Harmony One remote, and it always lag, on every device about ~250ms-500ms. In other words, the remote is slow.

EDIT: And changing the delay ain't working for me.

One annoying example is when scrolling down a list. Press down button fast about 20 times, when I have stoped, the remote still sends commands for about 5sek. Also when holding down a button for a period is much slower then my original remotes. Imaging the time to scroll down a huge film/music list in XBMC, not fun.

johoja Wrote:Same problem here I've tweaked with the timings and its a bit better but still not as good as the original remote.

ibeleaf Wrote:Just confirming that my Harmony 880 is also delayed somewhere between 250-500 ms. All 3 delay settings are set to 0 ms too.

I've just gotten used to it over the past 1-2 years, but it sure would be nice to get resolved!

galfwender Wrote:I have a harmony 555 with lag. It isn't noticeable for a single button press, but it certainly is at other times.

Best way to see it is to bring up a context menu on a movie/episode and press down 20 times quickly, then after the first 5 presses have registered, put your hand over the top of the remote so that it blocks the transmission. You can clearly see that it is not an issue with the IR reciever being slow, because the Harmony continues to flash two or three times a second with each new command sent. Take your hand away again and the button presses register again.

It makes no difference if the inter-key delay is set to 0 or 500ms.

johoja Wrote:Usually the delay is seen when you do multiple keypresses i.e ) press down 20 times, when you stop pressing down you will see the delay. This does not happen in a regular remote.

I talked to Logitech support and they agreed that there is a delay, and that it will never be as fast as the official remote because of hte post processing they have to do after each button press. You can of course decrease the delay by fine-tuning the settings but it will never be the same as the real remote.

They did recommend not pressing down 20 times, and instead hold down instead that seems to work better.

Either way there is a lag, but I can live with it. The Harmony One is a great remote regardless of that.

steelman1991 Wrote:LaughLaugh - is English your first language - I have not been hostile, all I have pointed out is that it is hardly a conclusion or inherent (existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element - sure it is) without first testing the theory. Time to re-read your original statement methinks.

Still if your happy with that then so be it - you asked for opinions and you got some - still no lag. Get back to your testing now - ooops forgot you don't do that before expressing a definitive opinion Rolleyes

Well well well, so many people with lag and then finally logitech confirms it. Guess I was right all along, I hope you enjoy your "lag-free" harmony. Rolleyes
LaughLaughLaughLaugh Its of such importance to others that the thread has been barren for weeks.

Well Hurrah for you - guess you were right all along - wasn't aware it was about points scoring - enjoy your laggy Harmony - guess what though i still don't have any lag. Yeah 6 users have reported lag - certainly I have to give you some credit, this is definitely far more representative than your original statement. I never at any point said that Harmony's didn't have nor weren't susceptible to delay's merely that mine didn't and this was backed up by anouther user.

Yep definitely one up to you.
The lag definitely depends on the user and not on the remote/settings/software : I have a Harmony 555 and it does lag with every device and I couldn't lower it via the settings (and god knows I tried).
My brother has a Harmony 525 and a Harmony One told me none of them lagged. When I went to his home I tried his remotes and compared them with the original remotes of his devices and guess what ?... The harmonies lagged like hell Shocked
So they do lag for some people and not for others.

The only problem is I don't know any other brand of good universal remotes. I would have tried the Philips Prontos but ikt seems like they're stopping them. I wonder if the simpler hamrony remotes without a screen have less lag Undecided
BlueScreenJunky Wrote:The lag definitely depends on the user and not on the remote/settings/software : I have a Harmony 555 and it does lag with every device and I couldn't lower it via the settings (and god knows I tried).
My brother has a Harmony 525 and a Harmony One told me none of them lagged. When I went to his home I tried his remotes and compared them with the original remotes of his devices and guess what ?... The harmonies lagged like hell Shocked
So they do lag for some people and not for others.

The only problem is I don't know any other brand of good universal remotes. I would have tried the Philips Prontos but ikt seems like they're stopping them. I wonder if the simpler hamrony remotes without a screen have less lag Undecided

Totally agree. Probably most of the people don't even have the chance to try it with the original remote and they are saying no lags (this absolutely not a reflection to you steelman1991:p).

I've been also trying to make it lagless for a week involving logitech support and some helpful logitech employees from their forum, but it's hopeless. Then I've just send sent it back. Shame on Logitech.

It's very easily detectable. If you have a Harmony One (not sure about other remotes) you don't even need a device to control to notice it. Just point your remote to your sofa, press any button 10-20 times quickly after each other and once you stopped you will still see the little IR indicator on the remote showing that the remote is still trying to catch up with you and sending commands for a few more seconds.
olympia Wrote:Totally agree. Probably most of the people don't even have the chance to try it with the original remote and they are saying no lags (this absolutely not a reflection to you steelman1991:p).

I've been also trying to make it lagless for a week involving logitech support and some helpful logitech employees from their forum, but it's hopeless. Then I've just send sent it back. Shame on Logitech.

It's very easily detectable. If you have a Harmony One (not sure about other remotes) you don't even need a device to control to notice it. Just point your remote to your sofa, press any button 10-20 times quickly after each other and once you stopped you will still see the little IR indicator on the remote showing that the remote is still trying to catch up with you and sending commands for a few more seconds.
No offence taken Olympia - I had the MCE Remote though before I purchased the Harmony One.

I think and agree with the previous poster, that some are more susceptible to this than others - me i don't see it and to test it with a 10-20 button press, is irrelevant - I don't use it in this way, very seldom do I need to press it more than once a time - if I did I would set-up a micro, again a 1 button press and for me no lag, but each to their own. Smile
steelman1991 Wrote:No offence taken Olympia - I had the MCE Remote though before I purchased the Harmony One.

I think and agree with the previous poster, that some are more susceptible to this than others - me i don't see it and to test it with a 10-20 button press, is irrelevant - I don't use it in this way, very seldom do I need to press it more than once a time - if I did I would set-up a micro, again a 1 button press and for me no lag, but each to their own. Smile

Cool, because it wasn't intended to be an offense at all.

I agree that you can reduce the delay and repeat times to a level where you are not noticing any lags on single keypresses. No question about that. Navigating in the main menu is almost usable.

But when you start to browse a longer list (library for instance) it gets a horrible experience (to me at least). Let's assume you go down/right 10-15 times, then you immediatelly turn around and without stoping going back up/left 10-15 times. The remote is still sending down/right commands for 1-2-3 secs before it starts to sending the up/left commands. I.e. you are pressing up/left buttons and on your GUI you still see down/right moves.

I would've been very surprised if you were not experiencing this. If you are not using it in this way of course it will not hurt you, but if you were I suppose you should see this bad behaviour.

(simple because the fact I mentioned above, that it is not even receiver dependent).
steelman1991 Wrote:No offence taken Olympia - I had the MCE Remote though before I purchased the Harmony One.

So, what is a micro? Just a small macro? LaughLaughLaugh

Now seriously, I have a Harmony 895 that controls everything (TV + Home Theater + PC) via the RF extender, and I have absolutely no lag, or at least, nothing I can perceive. To be honest, I'm having problems lately detecting 0.1s and 0.2s events. I might be aging Oo

And, indeed, the Harmony was the BEST buy I've done in "gadgetery". Although complex to set up, once done, it works.
morgoth67 Wrote:And, indeed, the Harmony was the BEST buy I've done in "gadgetery". Although complex to set up, once done, it works.

+1

also got everything hooked up to my Harmony One
tv, reciever, digicorder, pc, xbmc, lighting, curtains.

I'm not noticing any lag at all. everything runs smoothly.
I think it has a lot to do with what receiver you use too.
I use a antec revo basic. so i can use the harmony to bootup and shutdown the xbmc machine too.

and as the previous poster said: once set up, it works like a charm. just takes a little time and organisation to set the right controls and macros for everything
olivierw Wrote:I'm not noticing any lag at all. everything runs smoothly.
I think it has a lot to do with what receiver you use too.

So when you press down 20 times quickly on a list, XBMC keeps up?

I'm noticing major lag with my One, adjusting timings hasn't done anything to alleviate the problem. Sad
nero120 Wrote:So when you press down 20 times quickly on a list, XBMC keeps up?

I'm noticing major lag with my One, adjusting timings hasn't done anything to alleviate the problem. Sad

Mine struggles with lists too Sad
olivierw Wrote:I think it has a lot to do with what receiver you use too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Logitach Harmony lag?0