Logitach Harmony lag?
Hi,

I'm looking for new universal remote for (mostly) XBMC and Logitech Harmony suits my needs but I've found reports about 0,5-1s lag when used with XBMC and MS receiver.
I'd have the same setup so I'd like to know if this lag problem still exists

Thanks.
Regards,
Embrion
embrion Wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for new universal remote for (mostly) XBMC and Logitech Harmony suits my needs but I've found reports about 0,5-1s lag when used with XBMC and MS receiver.
I'd have the same setup so I'd like to know if this lag problem still exists

Thanks.

In the logitch harmony software suite go into devices and modify whichever is laging. I forgot exactly what it is listed under but there are timing sequences in the settings... decrease them (but not by to much) and it should fix the lag
I use a harmony 525 with a cheap cyberlink media centre receiver and have no issues reaching that level.

You can define the length of delay in the logitech app as well if you feel there is a delay as there can be a very slight disparity in the default settings when scrolling for long periods but this can be ironed out and for normal functions it works fine
Thanks for answers. I know that delay can be defined but owners reported (in 2008-2009) that it made no difference.

Btw. can I assign macro for every single button for every "device" separately?
Regards,
Embrion
The harmony doen't work like other universals, you define devices and actions You set up each piece of hardware as device and all actions will be as your remote, depending on the device a lot will have hidden function which aren't on the remote, my samsung tv does direct input selection for example only with the harmony. You then set up actions such as watching tv, playing ps3, watching xbmc and the remote will map any essentially device control to any button and manage switching inputs and power as required.

I'd read up on it on the logitech site to get an idea how it works and what version is best but they work great with xbmc and is one of my favourite gadgets, which surprised me just being a tv remote.
So Activity is set of key mappings ? I've always thought that Activity is macro like "Watch TV" turns on power on devices etc. that is launched when I choose that activity. Now I see it is set of key mappings + macro on the start?
You know, the problem with activity macros is that for example TV could be already turned on (by different remote to make things even more complicated) and "XBMC" activity would turn off already turned on TV and turn on HTPC
Regards,
Embrion
It's really quite intelligent how it works, you set up an action so for instance on mine I have action "watch xbmc" when I select action it turns my samsung telly to hdmi1, turns on my receiver and then changes to htpc input, resumes htpc from standby and sets remote buttons to settings for that action, for me all buttons control xbmc except mute and volume buttons for receiver and numerous soft keys for extra functionality in xbmc and changing aspect audio modes in tv and receiver.

If anything doesn't turn on you simply hit the help key and it'll prompt for which device is not working and resolves via a series of yes/no questions. If you prefer you can also just hit the device button and choose the device to control and the remote will simply mimic that device remote to manually resolve.

I found it took a while to get it set up exactly how I wanted but once setup it is a great wee tool.
Sounds nice Smile
Ok, I have last question. Can I assign sequence to for ex. red teletext key ? You know, activity with auto launch sequences is nice but I'd like to have also possibility to launch sequence on demand.
Btw. does Activity sequence also has 5 steps limit? I don't have one click input change in my TV so switching input procedure would take at least 5 steps alone, not to mention powering up devices Wink
Regards,
Embrion
I'm not sure exactly what you mean in the first question sorry.

I'm not aware of any such limit but it may vary between harmony devices so you'd probably get better advice on the logitech site. Also I didn't think my tv supported single click input selection but harmony somehow manages it.

Most devices have all their macro's defined within the logitech software so there is very little involved in working them out, it's more on the pc side of control where things are less standardised where problems can occur, or in changing order devices are controlled to ensure everything initiates correctly.
I have a Harmony 515 and it seriously lags.

I have Inter-key delay at 0, Inter-device at 0 and likewise for all other delays in the logitech harmony software for each device. Nevertheless it still has a noticeable lag of 0.5 seconds, compared directly to the original remote which has absolutely zero lag.

I can easily demonstrate this with a video but that would be time-consuming and that's why I won't do it.

I have concluded that this is an inherent problem in all harmonys and there is no way to make it respond faster. I would love to hear from other owners of harmonys if they find the same conclusions.

Also I would like to point out the fact that there is no way to manual assign hex values to buttons with manual delay settings so you can program them to respond as fast as possible. Does anyone knows if there is a way to do that?
Nektarios Wrote:I have a Harmony 515 and it seriously lags.

I have Inter-key delay at 0, Inter-device at 0 and likewise for all other delays in the logitech harmony software for each device. Nevertheless it still has a noticeable lag of 0.5 seconds, compared directly to the original remote which has absolutely zero lag.

I can easily demonstrate this with a video but that would be time-consuming and that's why I won't do it.

I have concluded that this is an inherent problem in all harmonys and there is no way to make it respond faster. I would love to hear from other owners of harmonys if they find the same conclusions.

Also I would like to point out the fact that there is no way to manual assign hex values to buttons with manual delay settings so you can program them to respond as fast as possible. Does anyone knows if there is a way to do that?
Hardly a representative sample (based on the testing with 1 unit) on which to make such a sweeping statement.

I have a Harmony One (Default settings) and no lag of any description.
steelman1991 Wrote:Hardly a representative sample (based on the testing with 1 unit) on which to make such a sweeping statement.

I have a Harmony One (Default settings) and no lag of any description.

Agreed. My One has no lag that I can possibly detect (and it's the sort of thing that I would definitely notice).
The delay is very short and not very noticeable if you don't compare the harmony with the original control side-by-side, but it's there. From the press of a button to the response on the screen there is a delay of at least 0.2 secs, which is marginal and may go undetected but it bothers me, especially when I move around menus with the remote.

I will not doubt what you are saying, but the problem for me is that I have no way to test other harmonys to see if they have this delay or not because I need to buy them first and I just can't afford it.
Nektarios Wrote:I will not doubt what you are saying, but the problem for me is that I have no way to test other harmonys to see if they have this delay or not because I need to buy them first and I just can't afford it.
Hence the reason why you shouldn't make sweeping statements without having the detailed analysis to back it up.
steelman1991 Wrote:Hence the reason why you shouldn't make sweeping statements without having the detailed analysis to back it up.

I said, I have concluded, which means it's my opinion based from what I have read around. And that's why I am asking others to confirm or not. Do you know how to speak English besides being hostile?

Quote:I have concluded that this is an inherent problem in all harmonys and there is no way to make it respond faster. I would love to hear

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Logitach Harmony lag?0