cheapest option for 720/1080 capable machine
whats the cheapest choice when it comes to a HD mkv capable machine? i need a spdif out for audio and hdmi for video. physical drive not needed as it will be digital files only, have plenty of hard drives to chuck in as well
foxconn netbox
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I thought foxconn didn't have spdif. Does it?
Cheapest is a foxconn or Revo with a spdif usb adapter.
I would think a Micro ATX build would be the cheapest option.
aptalca Wrote:I thought foxconn didn't have spdif. Does it?

mine has one but I'm not using it. you might need an adapter though, it's no "full" optical SPDIF but only a small plug that was/is also found in some apple notebooks afaik.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
oh I see, so it's the coaxial spdif with the little headphone jack

thanks
aptalca Wrote:oh I see, so it's the coaxial spdif with the little headphone jack

thanks

It does look like a mini head phone jack, but its a optical port not coax.
foxxconn netbox is too loud. i have sent mine back 2 days after i received it.
30 minutes not hearable -> 2 minutes full speed -> 30 minutes not hearable -> 2 minutes full speed...

that was in idle mode. just xbmc gui running.
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
I second (third? fourth?) the Foxconn Netbox. Just finished setting mine up.

Here's the details:
- If you run Linux/Live, the fan is fine.
- If you run Windows, you're going to need to run it without the top on or do some modding (or deal with the fan going high speed sometimes). Without the top on, the thing NEVER activates the fan high speed and is silent. I'm prob. going to cut a circular hole in the top of mine and put a fan protector cage thing on it.
- The SPDIF out is a mini-jack TOSLINK out. You need one of these (http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2) to use it. Already got one and tested it - works fine.

That's it. Def. recommend it so far. Love it much more than my full size older HTPC.

Couple of caveats:
- Boxee doesn't work great - this is Boxee's fault. There's an error/bug in the code where the scaling it done on flash web video isn't offloaded to the GPU. Because of this, video stutters. Hulu works fine.
- That's it. Smile
Hi,
does Wake on LAN and Wake on USB work with Foxconn i330?
cheers, sircube
sircube Wrote:Hi,
does Wake on LAN and Wake on USB work with Foxconn i330?
cheers, sircube

Yes, it works but you have to enable it in bios.
btw I tried it out. when removing the lid the unit's fan instantly falls on medium and is nearly completely silent. goddammit these foxconn drones really need to provide a BIOS update, this should also be possible with the lid closed.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cheapest option for 720/1080 capable machine0