ION too slow for lanczos3optimized (and even bicubic!?)
I have an ION box (asrock 330) with dualboot windows7 and xbmcbuntu.

On windows 7 I have eventghost launch instead of explorer and then eventghost launches xbmc.

On linux the ION is capable of upscaling dvds (and 720p vids) upto a 1080p display using the lanczos3optimized algorithm.

In windows when using lanczos3optimized the framerate is either 12.5fps (on dvd menus which are static) or fluctuates between 18fps and 18.3fps (during video).

The ION box's framerate is surprisingly 18fps for all scaling types except bilinear.

Am I just asking too much from the ION? I can understand it for lanczos3optimized and maybe even bicubic if ION is weak, BUT!

Why would the performance for bicubic/lanczos2/lanczos3optimized end up have the same framerate? (as I understand it, lanczos3optimized is a thirstier algorithm?)

log: http://pastebin.com/iz62VKtK
not sure if this is the same issue:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9531 - this persons system seems alot beefier than an ION. Although it doesn't state what gpu they have.
Lanczos or Bicubic cannot be hardware accelerated by ION - hence if you use them, they will be done by the CPU, not GPU (which ION is). Best hardware accelerated scaling option is and will ever be on any platform bilinear. Of course on some platforms you can enable bicubic and do it non-accelerated, but not on Intel Atom machines.
i'll check cpu usage. But i thought these were pixelshaders? I'm probably wrong, but I'm genuinely interested.

edit, just did a test playing an SD dvd figures show cpu usage from "top" which i did through ssh:

Linux Bicubic : ~15% (25fps)
Linux Lanczos3optimized: ~15% (went down to 50% pretty often) (25fps)

Windows Bilinear: ~20% (25fps)
Windows Lanczos3optimized: ~20% (18fps)
Windows Bicubic: ~20% (18fps)
Windows Lanczos2: ~20% (18fps)

I really dont think it's doing it through cpu calculations.

Edit 2: Interestingly, when the video is paused (under windows) with bilinear scaling the fps goes from 25 upto 50 (as it's running at 50Hz). But with the others it stays at the limited 18fps.

Also, i have deinterlacing set to 'none'. And the other two (auto and deinterlace) dont make any difference to the stats. Also the video is progressive.
Lanczos3 optimized is not lanczos3, hence it's not called lanczos3.
It uses the same shader as lanczos2 and bicubic.
So, any idea if it's gpu limited/cpu limited/etc?
Gpu limited and the shader is not very optimized.
It works better on opengl.
ta very much.
Lanczos3 optimized is not a thirstier algorithm Wink

Here's the differences between the scalers:
just wanted to say a big well done / thank you for the recent update to the shaders.

working LOVELY now Big Grin

thanks again (especially crystalP and jmarshall and bobo1on1) for this. It's made it work perfectly on even an ION.
Nice to hear it works. Are bicubic, Lanczos2 & Lanczos3 optim OK with 30fps material on ION?
Lanczos3 is most likely still too demanding. I can't run it on ATI4550.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Are you guys saying that in the newest nightlies it's possible to choose a better scaling method than bilinear when using DXVA-acceleration with ION?

If so, I'm definitely going to test it today.
CrystalP Wrote:Nice to hear it works. Are bicubic, Lanczos2 & Lanczos3 optim OK with 30fps material on ION?
Lanczos3 is most likely still too demanding. I can't run it on ATI4550.

I haven't tried 30fps material, but i will.

hyperionfin Wrote:Are you guys saying that in the newest nightlies it's possible to choose a better scaling method than bilinear when using DXVA-acceleration with ION?

If so, I'm definitely going to test it today.

no, not at the moment.
just tested the following

720x576 30fps mpeg2
960x540 30fps h264
1280x720 24fps

All being decoded by software and upscaled on an ION, all worked fine. I had to find a low bitrate bit in the 1280*720 video as the atom was choking a bit.

But the ION seems to be pretty happy with those shaders!
Based on earlier postings in this thread, do I understand correctly that when using an ION systemm, it is possible to use Lanczos 3 optimized for software rendered SD content under Linux, but not in windows? [i.e. fps under windows is low]

@bobo1on1: were the shaders developed by you? Will there be a more optimized version for windows?

Thank you all for your earlier comments and efforts on xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ION too slow for lanczos3optimized (and even bicubic!?)0