The latest version of this document you find in the documentation section of http://www.openelec.tv
To create an Installation USB Stick:
- First download the latest image from our downloadsite. Be sure you download at least r3375.
- Extract the image with an program that handles *.tar.bz2 files - like 7-Zip. Be sure you have extract the *.bz2 file as well the *.tar file inside the *.bz2 file. You have now an filesystem structure with sample config files for various bootloaders, the target file directory with the OpenELEC.tv kernel, system and installer, the license files, the 3rdparty stuff, like syslinux for Windows and some other things.
- Take an USB Stick (at least 128MB). You can use an already FAT16/FAT32 formatted USB Stick or reformat the Stick. Be sure you use an Volume Label (on this example i use "INSTALL").
- Open your command line, for this simply go to "Start" and search for "cmd":
- Now change your directory to your extracted image files with (example - use the directory name for your downloaded image):
- Now install the bootloader (syslinux), the bootloader configuration (syslinux.cfg) and the kernel, system and installer files on your USB Stick. Please find the drive letter for your USB stick (in this example i use d: for the USB Stick drive letter. Now type on your commandline:
3rdparty\syslinux\win32\syslinux.exe -d / d:
copy sample.conf\syslinux.cfg d:
copy target\* d:
- Modify the syslinux.cfg file on your USB Stick. To see what for an Volumelabel the USB Stick uses change your path to your USB Stick and type "dir"
- Now open your syslinux.cfg located on your USB Stick with Notepad and change the content to the follow:
APPEND boot=LABEL=INSTALL installer quiet
Be sure you use "boot=LABEL=<your_Volumelabel>"
- Now you can boot from your USB Install Stick to install OpenELEC.tv on other devices like USB Sticks, HDDs/SSDs (USB/ (e)SATA).
WARNING: please make an backup of your data before using the USB Install Stick to install OpenELEC.tv. The Installation deletes all your data and partitions of the selected installation device!