should i update my xbmc install
I'm currently running with 9.11 on a minimal karmic install on zotac ion, with 95% of everything working great. 5% is that on wake from suspend the damn thing pauses for 3-5minutes before playing the video. If it has been playing stuff it works fine, its that wake after suspend that causes issues. And its not 100% of the time

Using NAS/NFS playback only(seedbox) so I'm assuming that its not the LVM array waking up.

tl;dr question:
Are there any benefits to building from svn? I'm interested in weather-plus but that doesn't run on 9.11 from what i've seen, so maybe that's the only pro reason I have for mucking with stuff.

Thanks!
idlehands Wrote:I'm currently running with 9.11 on a minimal karmic install on zotac ion, with 95% of everything working great. 5% is that on wake from suspend the damn thing pauses for 3-5minutes before playing the video. If it has been playing stuff it works fine, its that wake after suspend that causes issues. And its not 100% of the time

Using NAS/NFS playback only(seedbox) so I'm assuming that its not the LVM array waking up.

tl;dr question:
Are there any benefits to building from svn? I'm interested in weather-plus but that doesn't run on 9.11 from what i've seen, so maybe that's the only pro reason I have for mucking with stuff.

Thanks!

XBMC is used for playing music and videos. Does your machine do that? Yes? Then dont mess with something that works.

I have a ZOTAC MAG but dont use suspend (Wireless issue). I turn off the machine. Turning back on requires pushing the power button but I can watch a movie in under 20 seconds from button push.

I have no reason to update (ever) unless some amazing new gizmo comes out in XBMC that I cant live without. Even then I would debate to do it or not depending on how much time I want to spend tweaking it.
It's not hard to update...we're talking about 3 mins if you've got a fast connection

Add the SVN\Nvidia PPAs

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

Remove XBMC

Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc*

Update system

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Install latest XBMC

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-live

Reboot

Smile

You might as well do it, it's unlikely to break anything and if it does, how long does it take to install minimal ubunutu...20 mins and do it from scratch.

I think it will wreck your TV Shows database though so if you've got a massive one that will take many hours to download the info for again then you might want to upgrade at an appropriate time etc.
robo989 Wrote:It's not hard to update...we're talking about 3 mins if you've got a fast connection

Add the SVN\Nvidia PPAs

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

Whenver I try that I get a command not found error:

Code:
kevin@XBMCLive:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found

Any ideas why? I am trying to upgrade to the current SVN of Live. Coming from SVN 28256
what version of ubuntu are you running? That command only works in 9.10 and up.

otherwise you'll have to manually add it to your sources.list file.

noumenon
you need:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
vikjon0 Wrote:you need:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

That got it to work. Thanks!
minimal ubuntu takes me quite awhile, but i think thats cause i'm running off usb key.

think i might give it a try though!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
should i update my xbmc install0