• 23(current)
Xbmcfreak 10.08 svn livecd's
Yesterday I upgraded my Asrock ION330 using Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.08 svn32696.

System started perfect,only found two things that use to work but now dont.

1-Only have sound through HDMI.Optical is not working at all.
Anybody any idea?

My setting are on XBMC:

Audio output: digital
Boost volume: ON
Audio output device: Default
Passtrough: HDMI

allready tried to change Passtrough devide to ice958 but still no luck.

Second problem.

Every source I add IS LOST after i restart the system.
Already solved this problem by adding all sources into MEDIASOURCES.XML
This part is working fine now.

But when I add a source to the file manager problem is still there.
As soon as system is restarted they are all gone.

How can I manage that XBMC remembers everything I enter (or how can I add a source to file manager using a XML file?)
EarnheadJ Wrote:I have been booting my revo 3610 from an sd card with 9.11 v.10. It boots to the XBMC screen in about 45 seconds. Well I thought I would try the latest Freak Live cd. I installed to 4 gb SD card. Now it takes 2 minutes to get to XBMC screen. It works fine but would this be normal load time. I didn't want to install to hard drive because I want to keep Windows 7. ( I also have one of the newer builds as a program in windows). Anyways I was scared to try and repartition the hard drive and save windows. Booting from the sd card has always worked fine for me anyway when I wanted to use live. But back to the original question, is this normal load time for the newer builds?

Edit: Just timed it, it took 2:25 to boot to XBMC

Update on my problem. It didn't matter if I installed to sd card or usb thumb drive, same long boot time. Well this was from trying to install from external cd\dvd rom drive. So I tried to just run live from off the cd, same long boot. So now I just tried to use another thumb drive with unetbootin to install to sd card first and then to thumb drive, same long boot time again. So I tried to just run live from the thumbdrive with the installer on it and it boots to xbmc in about 40 seconds. Any thoughts?
Got a problem with alsamixer not saving.

I need to reduce the levels of some of the channels.

So Ive gone through the usual routine of removing the "setvolume" from grub then ran update-grub to save it to the config.

run alsamixer set the desired levels
run alsactl store 0

In 9.11 this would set my levels how I wanted them instead of all being topped out.

In this latest release (svn32696) after a reboot the levels return to what they were before

Is there any thing additional I need to be doing to save the alsamixer settings ??

Cheers
dbldown768 Wrote:I have tried the xbmcfreak 10.08 and the older stable build. everything work great on teh 10.08 build, but I can never get the remote to work correctly with the built-in IR for the ASROCK 330 HT. Does anyone have a simple method to getting this to work? I tried installing the drivers from the asrock site and still was a no go.

Same probleme here Sad
xbmcHerb Wrote:Just did a new 10.08 install. I just bought a esata 2TB drive to replace my 400GB USB drive that was getting full in 9.11.

I'm not super advanced. I formatted the esata drive as ext4. Where in the xbmc file structure can I find the darn thing? My usb drive showed up under media. The esata is nowhere to be found.

Thanks for the help.

It will be a device under /dev like /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc but those are the raw, unmounted device names.

You have to add it to your fstab file to have it be recognized all the time. I think mine auto-mount, because I run from an ubuntu desktop.

The folks here can certainly tell you better than I how to manage that drive though. I just plug mine in and it shows up. (note that not all SATA drives in eSATA enclosures nor eSATA ports are 'hot-swappable')
I've read the post on the XBMCFreak site saying that if you have a Zotac HD-11 you need to add a line to the alsa-base.conf file. The problem is I'm running off of a USB stick rather than a hard drive. So my changes (anything outside of /image/live) don't seem to persist between reboots. What can I do?

In case any of this matters, I made the bootable usb drive with Unetbootin and the latest XBMCFreak release.

EDIT: I downloaded toporesize and created an ext3 image named live-rw in the root directory of the usb drive. I made the live-rw image roughly 2 gigs. This seems to have allowed me to persist changes. Also solved my audio passthrough over HDMI issue.
EarnheadJ Wrote:Update on my problem. It didn't matter if I installed to sd card or usb thumb drive, same long boot time. Well this was from trying to install from external cd\dvd rom drive. So I tried to just run live from off the cd, same long boot. So now I just tried to use another thumb drive with unetbootin to install to sd card first and then to thumb drive, same long boot time again. So I tried to just run live from the thumbdrive with the installer on it and it boots to xbmc in about 40 seconds. Any thoughts?

I'm a noob at this, but I'm just curious what your steps are. Are you running live directly from the USB stick, or are you doing an "install" on to it and then booting from it?
Warblade Wrote:I'm a noob at this, but I'm just curious what your steps are. Are you running live directly from the USB stick, or are you doing an "install" on to it and then booting from it?

Both, if I run live straight from the usb stick just to test it it seems to boot fine. But if I install to another usb stick or an sd card and then use that to boot from, this is where I am having the long boot times to get to the ubuntu screen (2 minutes) and then another 30-40 seconds to get to XBMC. Have spent days working on this but with no luck. Can't get it worked out

Edit: Just to be clear I am wanting to use the option install to disk use entire disk, then I choose the 2nd usb stick that is in my computer and install that way and it partitions it for xbmc. Maybe I am mistaken but you must be running Live from the original image on the usb stick? That is probably why you needed to add an image in the root directory. Am I doing this wrong because I am a noob too. I thought running Live from the original image was just to test live first?
can some one with the newest build post the advanced settings xml so I can duplicate it on my end. I am running the second to latest build and really don't want to wipe and start from scratch

I am interested in the ion part of it

also if you could cat your /etc/module for the coretemp that would be great

-=Jason=-
How do I boot this without the 'cpufreq' stuff turned on?
Probably should have that as a module.

Also, for the 'install xbmc' script, you should allow the grub section dialogs to let the user choose the location for the grub install. Should not have altered that at all.
EarnheadJ Wrote:Both, if I run live straight from the usb stick just to test it it seems to boot fine. But if I install to another usb stick or an sd card and then use that to boot from, this is where I am having the long boot times to get to the ubuntu screen (2 minutes) and then another 30-40 seconds to get to XBMC. Have spent days working on this but with no luck. Can't get it worked out

Edit: Just to be clear I am wanting to use the option install to disk use entire disk, then I choose the 2nd usb stick that is in my computer and install that way and it partitions it for xbmc. Maybe I am mistaken but you must be running Live from the original image on the usb stick? That is probably why you needed to add an image in the root directory. Am I doing this wrong because I am a noob too. I thought running Live from the original image was just to test live first?

Right, I'm running the original image from the USB stick. I think the point of the original image is that it's meant to be burned on a CD and then installed to some kind of writable media on the PC. And like you said, probably to test live first.

If I didn't have to write to files outside of the main file system I would have been just fine running it directly from that image. I don't know what the difference is between installing it and doing what I'm doing. I mean I'm able to reboot and all of my library entries are still there. Basically anything that gets written to the root of the USB stick (aka. the ~/.xbmc dir) gets saved between reboots.

I wonder if choosing the install method causes linux to probe for some devices that may not exist? Maybe that's why you're getting these long boot times. Why not try what I did on your SD card if you want to run from that. Everything seems to work fine with just running it straight off your media, rather than attempting to install it.
Warblade Wrote:Right, I'm running the original image from the USB stick. I think the point of the original image is that it's meant to be burned on a CD and then installed to some kind of writable media on the PC. And like you said, probably to test live first.

If I didn't have to write to files outside of the main file system I would have been just fine running it directly from that image. I don't know what the difference is between installing it and doing what I'm doing. I mean I'm able to reboot and all of my library entries are still there. Basically anything that gets written to the root of the USB stick (aka. the ~/.xbmc dir) gets saved between reboots.

I wonder if choosing the install method causes linux to probe for some devices that may not exist? Maybe that's why you're getting these long boot times. Why not try what I did on your SD card if you want to run from that. Everything seems to work fine with just running it straight off your media, rather than attempting to install it.

Ya I even tried to install it from a cd, but same result. So I think I am going to try and do what you did and install an ext3 image on the usb drive. I downloaded toporesize, but I don't really understand how to do this. I already have the original xbmcfreak installed to the usb. Could you possibly give me the steps you used to create the extra iso. Thanks

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out. It threw me off at first when I first started the program, the slider would only go to 100 mb. Then I realized I needed to choose new file, browsed to my thumb drive and then I could choose a larger size. Just finished so I am going to try it on my Revo. Thanks anyways and I will let you know how it goes
what about include ubuntu-boot or ureadahead for improve boot's performance?
I've installed the latest version of XBMCFreak, pretty much 100% working so thanks very much.

Couple questions;

The latest version has SABNZB included I believe, but how do I use it / access it / control it etc through this installation?

I use SABNZB on my laptop, but would like to try it on my revo.

Thanks
I also have installed svn32696.

I encountered some of the issues posted on this forum such as sound not working with the solution being to rename /etc/asound.conf.

I also encountered my own unique problem in that Samba would not start. Checking the Samba log it was looking for an xbmc userid. I didn't install with xbmc as the userid, but quickly did a reinstall using xbmc.

Anyway, I'm stuck on one problem that this version is not able to play all my mpg files correctly. The video stutters and skips every few seconds. The sounds seems fine. At first I thought it might be a network issue but all my mkvs play with no problem. Earlier versions of XBMC, and various media players on Win7 can play these mpg normally. I searched the forums but nothing caught my eye. I played around with settings in System -> Settings -> Video -> Playback, but nothing seemed to make a difference.

Any ideas? Links? Suggestions?
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcfreak 10.08 svn livecd's0